Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A venture into progressive EDM :)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mind_Drive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A venture into progressive EDM :)
    Posted: March 07 2019 at 19:40
Whenever I stumble upon the "progressive electronic" genre here on progarchives I wonder: how come this is so far from the electronic music I listen to and also consider somewhat progressive. Then I listen to some tracks and be like: oh yeah I get it, its like reaalllyy spacy progressive music done with electronic means and sadly (at least from what I heard) lacks almost any beat. And I really can't listen to music without any groove, I simply get bored LOL

So I am here to show you (if interested) some danceable electronic music that I'd still consider progressive. Be it in song structure (telling whole stories with many different moods in differents sections) and/or in the experimentation with totally different sounds or simply being progressive in the most common sense in that they build up but oh boy how they do that! They are simply beyond what mainstream EDM makes you think it is... but keep in mind, that repetitiveness is somewhat inherent in this genre, being a way to evoke the trance, but imho does not necessarily contradict complexity and progressiveness.

To give you some examples I dug up some of the most outstanding songs I came across in my 14 years of listening to a wide variety of different electronic genres: 

to start things off, a spac-travel-masterpiece from the melodic techno genre:

a short but very colorful track of the magnificent professor kliq:

Worakls, by many considered (one of) the most creative edm composers ever:

one of deadmau5's most genius works ever - is it allowed for edm to sound so offbeat?:

also "strobe" by him is absolutely worth a listen, does it twist a melody in the most beautiful ways possible!

a purely atmospheric but insanely wonderful song that just happens to have some beat but might as well be a song by impressionist composer debussy:

an obscure gem with the most awesome bassline/lick ever:

progressive psytrance, not overly expiremental, but what a build up and what a majestic beauty this track is!

some psybient with the most fluffy atmosphere - wait for 8:11 !!

ok hold on and only proceed if you are really in for a ride:
something crazy experimental and more heavy, I mean reaally heavy! (they even use guitars!!) hold on tight, its gonna be intense Big smile (It's somewhat considered psytrance but tbh it defies any genre other than epic..)

ok, the crazy train is rolling, so the second "complex psychedelic brainf**k" songs for those who dare:

and to round things out, another melodic techno track sounding like the vastness of universe itself:

ok, i had too much fun compiling this list and had to cut several songs in he end and it's still a long list but I hope you enjoyed at least some of them :)
I appreciate anyone who is brave enough to give them a listen and am curious for your feedback :)
thanks!
It's just a ride... <3
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2019 at 20:52
Imo, there's not that much of a connection between EDM and prog(at least not the stuff we typically think of as prog). Is there some overlap? Sure, but there's overlap with prog and just about any other genre. There's much more overlap with prog and pure electronic(as in non techno)influenced music in my opinion and not just TD or RMI but other stuff too. Something like the orb is probably somewhere in the middle but leaning more towards techno. I don't know that much about EDM but I'll listen to these samples.  THere's also IDM. It can get a bit confusing I suppose. Some of it is actually quite good I just don't know about the prog influence or connection(and if there even is one).
Mind_Drive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mind_Drive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2019 at 21:04
You're certainly right about the overlap with many other genres and I'm almost sure you will find some here :)
Guess most of it could be called IDM then (dont give much about these labels).
But for genres: I sadly was not able to encompass all the good ones there are. I mainly covered melodic techno, progressive house and psychedelic trance (+ psybient) and some things in between, but drum n bass or dubstep for exampe i dont know much about, although I consider them quite valuable genres as well. 

Man, now I wanna dig more into these.. have fun listening!

edit: lol almost forgot about this little gem:

I just came to the conclusion, that today there is almost in any genre a niche artist/composer to be found that writes exceptionally beautiful and complex music. Maybe then it's just progressive music that happens to sound like fairytale breakbeat metal but still.. humans create such an immense amount of great art and we can spend hours each day for the rest of our lives and could not possibly find all the gems - which is somehow sad..

Edited by Mind_Drive - March 07 2019 at 21:17
It's just a ride... <3
ScorchedFirth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScorchedFirth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2019 at 04:30
thanks!
breathing, eating, defecating, screwing, drinking, spewing, sleeping...

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2019 at 05:26
Dance music. Techno. House. Trance. Drum ner bass. Dubstep. 

Kindly leave the room. 

2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2019 at 10:26
Interesting thank you. I was listening to a bit of 1998/99 Tangerine Dream today, stuff with more beats than the classic material.

"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2019 at 10:46
^ I enjoyed that.

Automat's 1978 album included in Progressive Electronic might appeal.

Of the EDM mentioned in the initial post, I had heard deadmau5 and Infected Mushroom, and that I am Plankton seems familiar.

Edited by Logan - March 08 2019 at 11:04
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2019 at 11:32
That Automat was released during the peak of disco and you can definitely hear that influence on it. Not really my thing but interesting to hear nonetheless. The way it's done with the discoey beats and synths kind of remind me of the war of the worlds album(which I actually like).
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2019 at 11:47
Yeah, it's very much a product of the disco years. I happen to like a fair amount of disco-y music, and funky disco related music, that can be found in the archives, as well as quite a bit of Italo-Disco and generally Euro-Disco. Disco is something that I came to appreciate more, rather than less, as I got older.

To the Can fans, I might say I Want More.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mind_Drive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2019 at 12:23
I like the Tangerine Dream very much! It's pretty similar to what I'd consider psybient.
What TD albums would you suggest that go into that direction (with beat)?

If you like that kind of spacey-chillout music, you might enjoy something like carbon based lifeforms:

what do you think of some of the tracks in the opening post? I'm still curious ;)
It's just a ride... <3
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2019 at 13:07
I'm more into Berlin School and various old school electronic music (plus some modern retro).   I don't need a strong beat to groove. I might like the Intuite the most.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2019 at 13:37
Kind of OT but has anyone here seen/heard that tv commercial that uses the beat(it sounds like a sample of the backing track)from Tangerine Dream's "choronzon?"

I just looked for it and couldn't find it but I did find this. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 08 2019 at 13:37
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mind_Drive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2019 at 13:38
Intuite is one of my favourites at the moment, too :) thanks for listening!
It's just a ride... <3
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2019 at 23:52
Originally posted by Mind_Drive Mind_Drive wrote:

I like the Tangerine Dream very much! It's pretty similar to what I'd consider psybient.
What TD albums would you suggest that go into that direction (with beat)?

what do you think of some of the tracks in the opening post? I'm still curious ;)

I'll have to have a proper listen to the tracks you posted, I just had them playing through laptop speakers yesterday. I'm only just starting to explore the later Tangerine Dream myself, they changed a lot and many fans stick to certain periods only. I'm currently trying to get past my 1986 cutoff with a cheap 10 CD box The Electronic Journey which contains a couple of whole albums but is mostly compilations and have just rearranged it on iTunes into the original albums. That track is from the half of the 1999 What A Blast soundtrack album included on The Silver Siren Collection. I've got a cheap CD of the whole album on order. There's a playlist of it all here -

http://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLqSiyDwUx1pFmTE91MlaHiBbKm2zBhxb

Edited by 2dogs - March 09 2019 at 07:08
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 07:14
The other CD I was playing from this box yesterday was the full 1998 Transsiberia album which is much as you'd expect from a soundtrack to a film about an epic railway journey, no shortage of repetitive drum loops here.

2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 07:32
Originally posted by Mind_Drive Mind_Drive wrote:

To start with Luis M - miles better through headphones with a decent bass response. I enjoyed the muted organ sounds with the filters opening up now and again, the staccato keys, occasional harsh synth sounds and the patterns in the beat.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 07:39
Professor Kliq did a great job of mixing all those sounds together. The piano melody was a nice focus and the little groups of repeated notes run together were an interesting effect.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 07:51
Worakls could have been quite a simple and relaxing dub style tune but was beefed up a lot in the deep bass. It was still a bit too repetitive though for me to listen to more than very occasionally.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 08:02
Deadmau5 was clever, it forced me to concentrate on the melody while simultaneously listening to the rhythm but didn't quite go too far from being listenable.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 08:15
You might enjoy a little of the later Conrad Schnitzler who's listed on Prog Archives as Progressive Electronic. He actually started in Tangerine Dream making hideous scrapings and feedback on their first album Electronic Meditation which is a form of noise rock, went on to make more extreme noise with Kluster then produced a load of rather unmusical solo albums with synths and electronics before becoming more rhythmic and finally moving into techno as with this piece from 2009.

Edited by 2dogs - March 09 2019 at 08:38
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>