Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Track on A Trick of the Tail

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which Of These would you pick?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [25.00%]
14 [19.44%]
3 [4.17%]
11 [15.28%]
2 [2.78%]
11 [15.28%]
4 [5.56%]
9 [12.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 05:19
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

I love the album, truly the only CONVINCING 5 star stuff of Collins era. But I'm also more fond of edgier, groovier songs, so my rank goes like

Squonk / Dance on a Volcano / Los Endos
Mad Man Moon
Robbery, Assault & Battery / Entangled
Ripples
A Trick of the Tail

No weak song, even ATOTT kinda works so I never skip. Decided to go with SQUONK because the intro feels massive!

I'd say Squonk's near heavy metal is the weaker track and I actually really love Trick, but u-yes, there are no bad tracks. Overall, this album is the nand's best.

I'd place them this way:
- Volcano, Entangled, Endos, Trick
- MMM, RB&A, Ripples
- Squonk.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 05:22
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Entangled, especially for that haunting ending.
This. And because the song is so..so…Genesis! Smile
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 06:23
All is excellent, this is my fav Genesis album ever

First 2 tracks, voting entangled
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 11:50
TOTT is perhaps the strongest overall album by the band, Every song is excellent. It however doesn't contain one bona fide classic imo. In fact I find WAW has 3 or4 songs that have stronger claims than anything on TOTT.

As such my favourite changes almost play to play, so because I played it whilst running ( alright fast walking) on Saturday I'll go for mad man moon.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 11:52
How Squonk has only two votes (including mine), I do not know.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 11:53
Fantastic album with no weak spots... but none beats 'Dance On a Volcano' for me!

Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 18:25
Entangled followed by Mad man moon
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 19:48
Like them all but...

Lately I've come to appreciate the elegance, soberness and originality of 'A Trick of the Tail'.

My younger brothers do some piano.. and there was a score once of ATOTT that I think I attempted and realized its simplicity and overlapped beauty.

I also love those subtle arrangements mainly at the end.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 20:18
Only one vote for "robbery, assault and battery." That's hysterical! LOL

Squonk (spelled as squank)only has two votes. I wonder if it would have more if it was spelled correctly. Wink

I actually like r, a & b especially the mellotron break. Besides if it is so horrible why was it included on seconds out? 
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 00:11
Mad Man moon, for sure.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 03:46
There's only one song on A Trick of the Tail that gives me Ripples of excitement and makes me want to Dance on a Volcano with joy under a Mad Man Moon. I don't want to become Entangled in a debate, but I wouldn't vote for Squonk even if it was spelled correctly. Los Endos! Smile

By the way, did you hear about the chip shop raiders who were charged with Robbery, 'salt & Battery.  Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 22 2020 at 03:52
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 00:56
^ I think it was Mike Rutherford who described Los Endos as their 'Carlos Santana Track' . As I mentioned before I really prefer to have Dance On A Volcano and Los Endos knitted together as they are on Seconds Out. That's probably my only criticism of the album (it is in my all time top five so I have very little negativity towards it)

btw truly terrible joke Paul Ermm

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 02:53
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Squonk (spelled as squank)only has two votes. I wonder if it would have more if it was spelled correctlyWink

I actually like r, a & b especially the mellotron break. Besides if it is so horrible why was it included on seconds out? 

I always assumed that the band meant something like "skunk"TongueWink

Yeah, I don't get the usual snub RA&B gets... it's one of the funniest "rock opera" they did after Epping Forest and well ahead of Mouse's Night.
I almost voted for it, but Trick needed the help just as bad.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 04:24
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Squonk (spelled as squank)only has two votes. I wonder if it would have more if it was spelled correctlyWink

Yeah, I don't get the usual snub RA&B gets... it's one of the funniest "rock opera" they did after Epping Forest and well ahead of Mouse's Night.

IIRC, it's about a mythological creature (cryptid!) called the Squonk that is said to have roamed around rural Pennsylvania. When caught, it was said to dissolve into a puddle of water/tears, hence the line in the song! One of their more subtle, beautiful yet powerful pre-80's Collins tracks IMHO. The way it comes in live is so full and satisfying. The bass and that first few chords are legendary!

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - September 23 2020 at 04:24

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 04:57
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

IIRC, it's about a mythological creature (cryptid!) called the Squonk that is said to have roamed around rural Pennsylvania. When caught, it was said to dissolve into a puddle of water/tears, hence the line in the song! One of their more subtle, beautiful yet powerful pre-80's Collins tracks IMHO. The way it comes in live is so full and satisfying. The bass and that first few chords are legendary!
If I remember rightly (and it was a long time ago) "Squonk" was allegedly about Mr Gabriel. I can't remember who said this (it might have been one of the major music papers of the time) but personally I don't really see it.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 05:49
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Squonk is a good song. it's just not the song.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 05:56
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Squonk is a good song. it's just not the song.

Love Squonk, but Dance on a Volcano is the defining song for that album and for the new direction sound-wise of the band without Gabriel.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 06:00
Yeah, "Dance" is pretty awesome. No doubt about that.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 06:09
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ I think it was Mike Rutherford who described Los Endos as their 'Carlos Santana Track' . As I mentioned before I really prefer to have Dance On A Volcano and Los Endos knitted together as they are on Seconds Out. That's probably my only criticism of the album (it is in my all time top five so I have very little negativity towards it)

btw truly terrible joke Paul Ermm

Volcano is the perfect opener, and Los Endos obviously the only track that could have closed the album. They do work perfectly together, I agree, and maybe Squonk would have been a good opener?
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 11:56
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

You can see the Squonk in the gatefold art. Also, the squonk is mentioned in the Steely Dan song Any Major Dude. "Have you ever seen a squonk's tears, well look at mine." Nifty.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>