Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fave Track-Yes-Open Your Eyes (1997)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Fave Track-Yes-Open Your Eyes (1997)?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [9.09%]
3 [27.27%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [9.09%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [36.36%]
1 [9.09%]
1 [9.09%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fave Track-Yes-Open Your Eyes (1997)
    Posted: March 17 2019 at 02:12

1997 Yes? Really? GO!!!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2019 at 06:04
This album is pretty awful.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2019 at 06:17
The one I’ve never heard......
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2019 at 07:56
Originally posted by TerLJack TerLJack wrote:

yeah its what happens when you turn the project over to a mediocre talent like billy Sherwood ---Yes was getting lazy and letting people in the band for their songwriting or whatever---big mistake.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2019 at 09:10
This, and Heaven an Earth, are the only Yes albums I don't like. Drama doesn't do it for me, but at least has a few tunes I enjoy if I hear them, which is not the case with Open Your Eyes or Heaven and Earth.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2019 at 10:52
I enjoy this as a pop album and is definitely atypical Yes. While I applaud them for trying something different, I would have preferred they did something different in a different way. But hey, a pop approach worked for them in the 80s so why not try it in the 90s? The last time I saw Yes was for this tour, not because they played much of this album (only two tracks) but because I had seen them several times before and it was the same music over and over again every time. I love that music but like to see something a little different in concert. I like to see bands stand up and be proud of their new music and perform it, even in this case. My vote went to Wonderlove, an absurdly upbeat tune, because it reminds me of my marriage.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2019 at 11:42
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

I enjoy this as a pop album and is definitely atypical Yes. While I applaud them for trying something different, I would have preferred they did something different in a different way. But hey, a pop approach worked for them in the 80s so why not try it in the 90s? The last time I saw Yes was for this tour, not because they played much of this album (only two tracks) but because I had seen them several times before and it was the same music over and over again every time. I love that music but like to see something a little different in concert. I like to see bands stand up and be proud of their new music and perform it, even in this case. My vote went to Wonderlove, an absurdly upbeat tune, because it reminds me of my marriage.

Yep, it's very pop but I agree they should have done it in a different way. This is sort of their "giant for a day" but I would have preferred a "civilian." I hope that analogy makes sense to you. Anyway, I've heard people say it should have been released as a Sherwood solo album or even a Conspiracy album and I have to agree. I'm not sure yet which track I will vote for but I have a rough idea. I saw this tour too but don't remember much about it other than they played "america." I don't remember which OYE tunes. I just remember while walking down the stairs some guy seeing my union shirt and asking who Bruford was. I said more like "where is Bruford." That and the fact that much of the audience was talking over the opening act the Alan Parson's live project. 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2019 at 13:23
Yes decided it could indeed do worse after Talk and created this one. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2019 at 13:53
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Yep, it's very pop but I agree they should have done it in a different way. This is sort of their "giant for a day" but I would have preferred a "civilian." I hope that analogy makes sense to you. Anyway, I've heard people say it should have been released as a Sherwood solo album or even a Conspiracy album and I have to agree. I'm not sure yet which track I will vote for but I have a rough idea. I saw this tour too but don't remember much about it other than they played "america." I don't remember which OYE tunes. I just remember while walking down the stairs some guy seeing my union shirt and asking who Bruford was. I said more like "where is Bruford." That and the fact that much of the audience was talking over the opening act the Alan Parson's live project. 

I get the analogy even though I have never heard either of those GG albums. Their reputation precede them. I have never actually heard any Conspiracy either. I was thinking of this as an Anderson/Sherwood album that just happened to have a bunch of members of Yes on it, enough to call it Yes. I remember in concert they performed OYE but not the other tune. I missed half of the Alan Parsons set due to a misunderstanding of the schedule - along with many others.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2019 at 22:01
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Originally posted by TerLJack TerLJack wrote:

yeah its what happens when you turn the project over to a mediocre talent like billy Sherwood ---Yes was getting lazy and letting people in the band for their songwriting or whatever---big mistake.

Indeed. And that's exactly what bothers me about having Sherwood back in the band. Not so much the capability playing bass (still, as good as Sherwood may be, he is not at the same level of Squire... for that they would need to have Tony Levin or Geddy Lee... or for a newer one, I just keep thinking about is Nick Beggs (who played with Steven Wilson on The Raven that Refused to Sing... and just those initial bass notes often make me think I'm listening to Yes when I hear it before I realize my mistake).
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2019 at 11:05
No Way
 Post Reply Post Reply