Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kingston Wall Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kingston Wall Appreciation Thread
    Posted: March 17 2019 at 21:07
KINGSTON WALL by Jylli & Kuoppis & Brothers Von Hertzen tour is currently under way in Finland. 

KW were an enigma in that they were behind and at the same time ahead of their time.

It is great to see such raw energy still exists in their original music and the new tour celebrating the life and music of their lead singer and guitarist Petri Walli. 

When I was in my first 3 piece ‘Rock n Roll’ band. Back then it was all about making the warmest, loudest, and most cohesive 3 piece band you could make, even if you were just starting out and just learning your instrument. We would play covers of Hendrix, Hawkwind, Cream, Clapton, Floyd, Wishbone Ash and many more.

What we had back then was pure energy. We didn’t care if we were great; we just played and had fun.

Then sometimes a guitarist or musician comes along who has that special something ‘extra’. Petri Walli had just that something extra. Anyone can play with a Wha pedal or a distortion box, or a reverb box, or learn scales and so forth. What Petri Walli had was being at one with his inner musical spirit, and what he did with those things was something very special. He had a great knack for making something simple become complex and visa versa. 

In essence this is what Kingston Wall is all about. A merging of talent, creativity, rock and roll, and playing the kind of music that I the 1990’s no one was playing who wanted to make it as a popular artist. 

Yes, they are back, Petri really never went, and what they are doing is sharing the Kingston Wall experience with folk who loved them back then, who loved them now, or who even just got to know them. 

I could have found KW back in 1992 when i was playing in a new band and trying out similar styles of music. A fellow musician from Finland from another band, said 'hey guys, you should really listen to this new band Kingston Wall.. what they are doing is just amazing".

For me it is quite personal since I only really discovered KW a few years ago, way past when i should have got into them and enjoyed what they were all about. 

Now I find myself in my youth, once again, just enjoying music for what it is.

I leave you with a raw footage of a couple of their songs, and hope you enjoy. 

Edited by tigerfeet - March 28 2019 at 20:18
I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. Robin Williams.
tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2019 at 16:39
There have been some amazing videos coming in from the March 15 gig, of which i will be posting some more soon. . 

Meantime, here is a link to a very interesting podcast article 'Background Sound' all about 
Kingston Wall and Von Hertzen Brothers and the ongoing tour. 

Fans would find this really interesting as well as those not as familiar.

Edited by tigerfeet - March 19 2019 at 16:40
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 09:33

I discovered Kingston Wall a few years ago when I was looking for the following song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPhneeAma8Y

At the time, I didn't know who the artist was, so I searched YouTube for "The Real Thing" and played all the examples presented. I didn't find the song I was looking for at this time, but one of the examples was "The Real Thing" from Kingston Wall's "III – Tri-Logy" album. This song was not just a different version of the song I was looking for, but a completely different song. Nevertheless, I was quite impressed with the song and purchased the album.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 13:56
Great band! I see them as a kind of comfort music (like comfort food), just tasty jams with great sound and energy.
tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2019 at 19:56
They are certainly comfort music i agree. And energy in abundance.

They also did a kick asp cover of Donna Summer - I Feel Love back in the 90s.

Someone recently posted here on progarchives about disco and prog, well here is a good example of psychedelic/space rock/disco

Only 2 more live gigs left in this tour before a small break and then a couple more summer gigs lined up.

Here is the recent live performance of I Feel Love - enjoy! 

tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2019 at 20:15
Psychedelic prog rock with a little jazz thrown in for fun

A drummer extraordinaire, a most solid bassist, and crazy jam/ freak out, not to mention Von Hertzen Brothers
having lots of fun and making the great Petri Walli proud of them all. 

This is most likely my penultimate post covering the Kingston Wall Celebration Tour of 2019. 

Thanks for letting me share some of this with you as i know there are still some KW fans out there who will appreciate this thread. 

tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2019 at 20:23
The beauty of Kingston Wall is that from listening to their songs for the first time one may be forgiven for dismissing them as just jamming songs, or songs that are just there with no purpose or meaning. Just noise, guitar riffs, wild drums, with extra delay or reverb and perhaps for no apparent reason.

The truth is far from that and if one delves deeper into the philosophy of the songs, the feel of the songs, and the overall message of the band, Kingston Wall can be seen in a much different light.

A good example is a track from their 2nd studio album (II) ‘Could it Be So’.

The track begins with a rolling intro which quickly moves into some sweet guitar licks followed by the main theme of the song. The guitar playing is actually quite complex as it develops throughout the song and some very clever and unique choices are made that are amazing and surprising. 

The lyrics are steeped in mythology, a higher being or purpose, and questions regarding our past or even our future, which may or may not be, our lives before or our life to come. Not that we are unfamiliar with such questions, especially these days, but for sure, an integral part of Kingston Wall’s theme and much of the ideas of lead singer/guitarist Petri Walli.

If you really listen to some of his guitar movements through many of the songs you may be lucky to float away on more than just a magic carpet. The skill and expertise he used to make his movements and guitar flow is what many try and achieve, through emulating say Hendrix or Gilmour. I guess he is somewhere in between those two guitarists in regards to his energy, interpretation and guitar skills. 

It is just what he does, and does very well, to mesmerize the listener and create space for thought and introspection, if one wishes, while at the same time the listener is still able to release spiritual and physical energy.

Petri Walli was consumed with these types of thoughts which gave direction to the band.  Each album has many great tracks which explore many varied and/or similar ideas.

What is even more remarkable is that Von Hertzen Brother’s were able to bring his spirit alive through these series of concerts in Finland in 2019, many years since Petri left us.

I do not think I have ever come across an established band, (Von Hertzen Brothers), taking a year off from their own touring and making their own music, to dedicating a year and much time and energy to another band. They are so connected to Kingston Wall and I applaud what they have done.

I am looking forward to the next couple of summer gigs, one with Richie Blackmore and Rainbow, the other so I hear is at the festival Qstock. 

Thanks for being part of this appreciation thread and I will see you the next time around.  

Something strange is down there
but we don't know where
it's been lying in peace
waiting for it's release
but that moment will come
long after we are gone
like it did long ago
before we were born

Could it be so that
we have been here before
could it be so that
this all happened before

Ol' man Jacques found that road
in the bottom of the sea
indians wrote 'bout the bombs
that you just have to see
and the huge rocks in Giza
it seemed like they moved
and the pictures in desert
I wonder who drew ...

Ancient wisemen knew things
that we can hardly dream about
built statues and temples
that can't be pulled down
now we seek for that wisdom
from too far away
wonder 'round with our eyes blind
and think we are there

Edited by tigerfeet - April 04 2019 at 20:31
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2019 at 07:47
A thread that deserves more attention as Petri Walli/Kingston Wall is definitely one of the most underrated artist/bands of all-time. They deserve so much more attention! I'm so glad the Von Hertzen Brothers did this recognition tour! I just played two songs from KW on my radio show on Sunday night: "Could it Be So" and "For All Mankind." Great band, amazing singer, phenomenal guitar player. ("The reincarnation of Jimi Hendrix" I said on the air!)

Edited by BrufordFreak - October 03 2019 at 07:49
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 12:00
Great to find this topic. Clap Kingston Wall were a power trio full of energy and realized some really fine albums. 

Edited by Olape - May 18 2020 at 12:03
tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2021 at 21:16
First track from their First album Kingston Wall "With My Mind" 

live 1994 (last public performance)

tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 02:39
For anyone wanting to just rock out, Kingston Wall were really quite amazing to hear live. A few years back i posted the Von Hertzen Brothers and Kingston Wall live gigs on these forums. I just found a really amazing video. Three solid songs. Kingston Walls' "Shine on Me" and "I'm Not the One" and an insane tribute to Jimmy Hendrix's "Fire". A lot of fun in these times for sure :)  Get's going after 5 mins mark :D and i would skip to 11 minutes for the Fire song, that's where it's all at! 

Edited by tigerfeet - January 24 2023 at 02:50
 Post Reply Post Reply