Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fave Track-Genesis-Nursery Cryme (1971)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Fave Track-Genesis-Nursery Cryme (1971)?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
32 [45.07%]
1 [1.41%]
11 [15.49%]
4 [5.63%]
2 [2.82%]
1 [1.41%]
20 [28.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 02:37
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Hogweed.

Musical Box doesn't excite me.

Same. Box is just average. I'd rather a 2 minute song with a great melody LOL

Box never "clicked" with me like I thought it would/should.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 02:55
The Musical Box is a fantastic tale. How can some folks not like this one ??
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 04:12
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I guess some folks wouldn't recognize an epic build-up with following climaxes if jumped up and it bit them in the arse. And if the melody isn't great - how is it that I know the every second of the ten minute long piece by heart?
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 04:26
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I guess some folks wouldn't recognize an epic build-up with following climaxes if jumped up and it bit them in the arse. And if the melody isn't great - how is it that I know the every second of the ten minute long piece by heart?

I actually enjoy said track quite a bit, but for some reason my brain doesn't associate it with being a classic track (personal bias lol). Nursery Cryme, for me, is such a weird Genesis record. It's the transition zone between their earlier debut works, and their (arguable) peak era from '72-'75 with Gabriel. Nursery Cryme sounds like Genesis gearing up for the epicness they'd become - and that's by no means a bad thing!

Don't forget - this is the opinion of the same guy who praises Battle of Epping Forest Wink

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - March 20 2019 at 04:27

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 04:44
Thinking about it, and I love all the 70’s Genesis albums dearly, I think I could happily live with Trespass and Nursery Cryme and pass up on the others.

Edited by Tom Ozric - March 20 2019 at 06:49
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 06:17
The Return of the Giant Hogweed > The Musical Box > The Fountain of Salmacis
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 08:04
I love every song here but Harold The Barrel is my favorite!!! And I'm the first one voting for this little masterpiece?
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 21:39
I saw you praising Battle of Epping Forest in the other thread, and I just hate it for the very same reasons I hate Harold the Barrel (though at least this one isn't so long, nor do I like the rest of the album as much as Selling England). Oh well, there's just so much diversity in tastes for music (and just about everything else)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 21:42

The Musical Box is a fantastic tale. How can some folks
not like this one ??
I guess some folks wouldn't recognize an epic build-up
with following climaxes if jumped up and it bit them in the arse. And if the
melody isn't great - how is it that I know the every second of the ten minute
long piece by heart?

I do love the song, but I don't really care much for the story. Somehow I don't really like the stories Gabriel writes, or at least not the way he tells those stories.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 21:52

Until the fourth minute it's very monotonous. A difficult incipit. Then the instrumental parts shake it a little but fails, except in small strokes, to be enthralling by combining the vocals with the instrumental parts. Overall, I feel forced. On the contrary, in Trespass, all the instrumental parts seem to me very natural, with a clear melody or an enthralling rhythm.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - March 20 2019 at 21:55
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 01:45
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I actually enjoy said track quite a bit, but for some reason my brain doesn't associate it with being a classic track (personal bias lol). Nursery Cryme, for me, is such a weird Genesis record. It's the transition zone between their earlier debut works, and their (arguable) peak era from '72-'75 with Gabriel. Nursery Cryme sounds like Genesis gearing up for the epicness they'd become - and that's by no means a bad thing!

Don't forget - this is the opinion of the same guy who praises Battle of Epping Forest Wink
I have a tendency to prefer an artists work at the early stages when the sound and approach is yet to be calcified. What other people often refer to as transitional albums are often my favorites (and I usually don't hear it as one). That some listeners can prefer anything on Foxtrot A-side to the grand opener on Nursery Cryme is a complete mystery to me. And well yes we hear things differently - If I was musically tortured being forced to listen to Epping Forest on repeat I'd crack faster than if it was a Vengaboys hit-collection.     
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 02:23

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I have a tendency to prefer an artists work at the early stages when the sound and approach is yet to be calcified. What other people often refer to as transitional albums are often my favorites (and I usually don't hear it as one). That some listeners can prefer anything on Foxtrot A-side to the grand opener on Nursery Cryme is a complete mystery to me. And well yes we hear things differently - If I was musically tortured being forced to listen to Epping Forest on repeat I'd crack faster than if it was a Vengaboys hit-collection.     

Clap

*Falls asleep listening to Musical Box*

WHAT did you say something?! Wink LOL

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 02:40
I don’t think Genesis had a misstep until W&W. But this is my opinion.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 05:45
the musical box
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 06:32
I won't vote because this is not MY "Nursery Cryme". My "Nursery Cryme" has two more tracks and is twelve minutes longer.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 07:12
^ Twilight Alehouse ??
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 13:26
'Fountain'!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 13:48
Fountain or Box....flip a coin.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 14:07
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

The Musical Box is a fantastic tale. How can some folks
not like this one ??
I guess some folks wouldn't recognize an epic build-up
with following climaxes if jumped up and it bit them in the arse. And if the
melody isn't great - how is it that I know the every second of the ten minute
long piece by heart?

I do love the song, but I don't really care much for the story. Somehow I don't really like the stories Gabriel writes, or at least not the way he tells those stories.
Oh I wouldn't know I rarely know exactly what any song is about and don't care much about paying attention to stories (I usually prefer the "wrong" version that my mind creates). But mainly just pick up some words and phrases that I like (or dislike) and enjoy the mood, atmosphere, ride or whatever. Love this though:

“While Henry Hamilton-Smythe minor was playing croquet
with Cynthia Jane De Blaise-William, sweet-smiling Cynthia
raised her mallet high and gracefully removed Henry’s head.
Two weeks later, in Henry’s nursery, she discovered his treasured
musical box. Eagerly she opened it and as "Old King Cole”
began to play, a small spirit- figure appeared. Henry had returned -
but not for long, for as he stood in the room his
body began ageing rapidly, leaving a child’s mind inside. A lifetime’s desires
surged through him. Unfortunately the attempt
to persuade Cynthia Jane to fulfill his romantic desire led his nurse to the nursery
to investigate the noise. Instinctively Nanny hurled
the musical box at the bearded child, destroying both…"

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 15:16

^ Twilight Alehouse ??

"Twilight Alehouse" and "Happy the Man".

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>