Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fave Track-Genesis-Nursery Cryme (1971)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Fave Track-Genesis-Nursery Cryme (1971)?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
32 [45.07%]
1 [1.41%]
11 [15.49%]
4 [5.63%]
2 [2.82%]
1 [1.41%]
20 [28.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2019 at 06:04
Harold the barrel and Harlequin are the weakest tracks
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2019 at 06:11
Hogweed, though the Genesis Live version adds more of a bang to the climax.
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquonkHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2019 at 06:13
The Fountain of Salmacis. Love those Mellotron swells. Seven Stones is a good second. 
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2019 at 06:28
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Hogweed, though the Genesis Live version adds more of a bang to the climax.
Rutherford’s bass tone is superb on this recording.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2019 at 22:34
The Fountain of Salmacis just over Musical Box.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2019 at 22:35
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

I love them. They should have been hits.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 00:06
I think Musical Box was the only one I actually liked.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 04:02

There is in my opinion no weak track on "Nursery Cryme"; I love all nine tracks (I am of course talking of the extended "Nursery Cryme" which includes the tracks "Happy the Man" and Twilight Alehouse"). The short tracks on the album are either funny ("Harold the Barrel"), melancholic ("For Absent Friends"), dreamy ("Harlequin") or encouraging ("Happy the Man").

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 12:28
As much as I'm a big fan of Harold the Barrel, and that style of story song that Genesis was great at, it's impossible to not vote for The Musical Box.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 13:21
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Agreed but I love all songs on NC - its my Genesis-album
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 17:17
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Yep, this and Trespass are gold. So much magic happening.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 17:42
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Yep, this and Trespass are gold. So much magic happening.

I'm right on the same page with the both of you. Nursery Cryme and Trespass are both so great from beginning to end. And Nursery Cryme in particular is the most canonical in defining Old Genesis in my mind.

Edited by HackettFan - March 23 2019 at 17:42
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 18:10
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

There is in my opinion no weak track on "Nursery Cryme"; I love all nine tracks (I am of course talking of the extended "Nursery Cryme" which includes the tracks "Happy the Man" and Twilight Alehouse"). The short tracks on the album are either funny ("Harold the Barrel"), melancholic ("For Absent Friends"), dreamy ("Harlequin") or encouraging ("Happy the Man").

I like Absent Friends. I find the others you mentioned a bit amateurish in composition and sound. Including Musical box. Just Ok tracks imo. I find most other prog related stuff from this era more interesting.

Edited by dr prog - March 23 2019 at 18:17
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 18:11
Trespass is consistently better. Better compositions and better recording.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 18:52
I may get slammed for saying this, but......
I think that Genesis lost something by the time they did Foxtrot. I can’t find the right word (innocence, perhaps ?). That pastoral ‘tweeness’ that permeates NC and Trespass. I don’t know, they still did tremendous albums but never quite like these 2 albums.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 20:18
^ I agree. And I think the same for Gentle Giant after the first two albums (and maybe even Yes after Yes album and Fragile).
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 20:18

I think that Genesis lost something by the time they did Foxtrot. I can’t find the right word (innocence, perhaps ?). That pastoral ‘tweeness’ that permeates NC and Trespass. I don’t know, they still did tremendous albums but never quite like these 2 albums.
I won't be the one slamming you. To quote myself from elsewhere:

Oh I much prefer a touch of pastoral romaticism than "gritty" social-commentary/future dystopia in my "symphonic rock"... I'll rather Zeuhl/RIO take care of the latter... I'd take mellotron-washes, amateur oboe & flute, hermaphrodites, Old King Cole and Fang Son of Great Fang over the harsh barks about directors of Genetic Control in New Harlow Town any day.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 20:43
^ I must’ve read that and reinterpreted it in my mind..........
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 23:18

Well, the Lamb is my favorite, but I am of similar mind. Foxtrot lost something. Oh, it's still great. Don't get me wrong. Nevertheless, something of the aural fullness was gone. I think they thought they packed some of their material with too much sound, particularly with Return of the Giant Hogweed, and hadn't figured out how to best distribute it in stereo space or bandwidth. Foxtrot seems to me like a reaction to that, like they modified some of their urges to stuff arrangements. Maybe no better example of that is Watcher of the Skies. They wanted the big mellotron sound at the opening, but it was a solo affair. Only once the big brass and string combination from the mellotron subsided did the band chime in. Foxtrot had a lot more turn-taking where everyone had a chance to get their bit in more or less unhindered. It definitely marked a course change.

dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 23:43
Trespass and Foxtrot are the enjoyable albums from the Gabriel era. Never been a big fan of Gabriel’s voice or lyrics though. Just a very rough voice which dropped off a lot on the lamb and were hard to listen to. I much prefer 76-78 Genesis over 73-74
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>