Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fave Track-Genesis-SEBTP (1973)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Fave Track-Genesis-SEBTP (1973)?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [20.90%]
1 [1.49%]
31 [46.27%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [8.96%]
1 [1.49%]
14 [20.90%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 16:22
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

The Battle Of Epping Forest!!! I will never understand the hate this song receives...
I agree, but Knight is my favorite off this ... possibly my all-time favorite. 

Edited by axeman - March 20 2019 at 16:23
-John
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 21:15

The Battle Of Epping Forest!!! I will never understand the hate this song receives...

Well, for me it is just annoying. And even worse, it's not just annoying, it's also all too long. At least More Fool Me is really short, and rather bland, so I can just ignore it within the album, but Epping Forest really drags an otherwise perfect album down a bit.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 22:01
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Well, for me it is just annoying. And even worse, it's not just annoying, it's also all too long. At least More Fool Me is really short, and rather bland, so I can just ignore it within the album, but Epping Forest really drags an otherwise perfect album down a bit.

I agree. 
In my opinion, the whole side B is not at the height of an absolute masterpiece.
(Cinema Show? The initial guitar acoustic phrasing is very beautiful, but soon it becomes monotonous. Banks's solo is really pedantic).

It's a great pity because the first three songs are very brilliant both individually and as a sequence.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - March 20 2019 at 22:03
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 02:26
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

I agree. 
In my opinion, the whole side B is not at the height of an absolute masterpiece.
(Cinema Show? The initial guitar acoustic phrasing is very beautiful, but soon it becomes monotonous. Banks's solo is really pedantic).

It's a great pity because the first three songs are very brilliant both individually and as a sequence.

More Fool Me and the inconsistency of side 2 have always kept SEBTP from being the 5/5 star album everyone says it is for me.

Although I've yet to see someone pick apart Cinema Show as frequently as this thread so far.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquonkHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2019 at 06:05
Another vote for Firth of Fifth. Great song overall with a subtle yet very moving guitar solo. One of Steve Hackett's finest moments in Genesis. Close seconds are Cinema Show and Dancing With the Moonlight Knight. Genesis doing what they did best.
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2019 at 06:35
hard to choose between Firth... and Cinema Show. 

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2019 at 22:29
After the Ordeal.

What? Am I the only one? Harumph!
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2019 at 22:32

I don't agree. Fantastic track.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 21:54
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Cinema Show and Firth of Fifth both probably make my top ten Genesis songs but I chose Firth of Fifth. 

Firth Of Fifth Banks/Hackett (are both superb on the whole album and this track imho)  
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 12:14
Dancing with the Moonlit Knight and Cinema Show/Aisle of Plenty are just stellar (vote for the former). Firth of Fifth is very good but quite a bit behind the top tracks. After the Ordeal is fairly good, as is The Battle of Epping Forest - it is overlong but a solid piece of work with highlights anyway. I really don't like I Know What I Like and More Fool Me... most uneven album ever.  
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 13:54
I actually love the whole album and always listen to it all the way through...well...love most of the album and tolerate More Fool Me & I Know What I Like Wink

Dancing gets my vote.  I just love hearing Hackett two hand tapping like a maniac a few years before a young guy named EVH supposedly invented it LOL

Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 15:55
Originally posted by SquonkHunter SquonkHunter wrote:

Another vote for Firth of Fifth. Great song overall with a subtle yet very moving guitar solo. One of Steve Hackett's finest moments in Genesis. Close seconds are Cinema Show and Dancing With the Moonlight Knight. Genesis doing what they did best.

Exactly. I must say using oboe instead of flute would have been something as moving as the the guitar solo.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 16:05
It's 'Forest. So entertaining (so Gabriel).
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12