Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Songs that Honored Historical Figures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 16:24
ELP's "Are You Ready, Eddie?" directed toward producer/engineer Eddy Offord.  

(I'd argue that Eddy was, in fact, a historic figure!)
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 17:41
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Probably already mentioned but Neal Morse's album Sola Scriptura was about Martin Luther King.

I think you mean Martin Luther (founder of Protestantism)Wink

"Sola Scriptura" is one of the principles of Protestant reformation. it is Latin for "only the scripture" and means that one should look for God's will in the bible only and not in the words of the Pope, a bishop, a priest or any other person.

the other 4 Solas are:

"Sola Fide", Latin for "only faith", means you have to have faith in Jesus for only people who trust him get to heaven.

"Sola Gratia" is Latin for "only grace" meaning that no-one deserves to go to heaven, one only gets there because of God's grace.

"Solus Christus", "only Christ", means you only get to heaven because Christ died on the cross for our sins and thus should pray to him only, not to the Virgin Mary or a saint.

"Soli Deo Gloria", "only God's glory", means you should worship only God, not the Pope or a bishop or priest or any other person. this is why Bach wrote "ad maiorem dei gloriam", "for the greater glory of God", below all his compositions

Edited by BaldJean - March 21 2019 at 17:47

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2019 at 00:47
Yep showed off my ignorance pretty well there 
Embarrassed

anyway thanks for the info 

Edited by richardh - March 22 2019 at 00:48
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2019 at 09:49
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

The most popular historical figures so far seem to be Joan of Arc and Jack the Ripper Wink.

Some more from albums listed on the site...

Mythos Dedicated to Werner von Braun, Popol Vuh King Minos, Edgar Froese Pizarro and Atahuallpa. I'm not sure how much historical awareness is displayed in Tyrannosaurus Rex's Frowning Atahuallpa (My Inca Love) - with or without John Peel's story about Kingsley Mole - but it perhaps deserves a bonus point for managing to include the second historical figure of Captain Morgan LOL.

After what I considered to be a fairly thorough survey, I once declared that Marc Bolan had written more songs with animals in the lyrics than anyone else I could think of - by a huge margin.

As for historical figures, it's Friday night and I actually don't want to spend it trying to think up stuff like this, so I'll leave you with a wonderful line that springs to mind:

"Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean"

- Teenage Dream

Edited by Braka - March 22 2019 at 12:36
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 09:47
Mostly Autumn play Heroes Never Die at every gig in honour of Bryan Josh's father, who was a historical figure though not a famous one.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 12:37
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

The Kansas song "he knew" was apparently about Albert Einstein. 
And Closet Chronicles was apparently about Howard Hughes after he became...eccentric.

Both fall into the category of songs where you would need the writer to tell you what they are allegedly about, as the lyrics lack any actual detail or specificity. A sign of crap writing, I'd say.

Now if they had called the song “Closet (full of jars of my piss) Chronicles” we could have worked it out for ourselves.

Hmmm… On the track "He Knew" Einstein is clearly mentioned (by Robby).

But I had to hear that track about 20 times before I noticed! Try to find it..
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2019 at 05:10
Sophya Baccini's album about William Blake. 

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2019 at 08:03
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

And Closet Chronicles was apparently about Howard Hughes after he became...eccentric.

Both fall into the category of songs where you would need the writer to tell you what they are allegedly about, as the lyrics lack any actual detail or specificity. A sign of crap writing, I'd say.

Now if they had called the song “Closet (full of jars of my piss) Chronicles” we could have worked it out for ourselves.

you probably refer to the line "his numbers are not the way" which could be interpreted as a paraphrase of Einstein's famous dictum that God rolls no dice

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2019 at 02:54
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

you probably refer to the line "his numbers are not the way" which could be interpreted as a paraphrase of Einstein's famous dictum that God rolls no dice

No Robby screams "Einstein" on the track, but that is very much in the Background.
You need to listen with headphones to be able to hear it.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2019 at 05:52
Einstein's Genius was not mathematical as he had to have the more difficult maths done by mathematicians he knew. The "god" quote is always used by religious apologists as if it somehow links his theories of relativity to the beardy man from their delusion...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2019 at 00:44
Indeed, Portrait (he knew) was inspired by the life of Einstein according to the sleeve notes for the reissue of Point Of Know Return.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 13:01
Van der Graaf Generator's When She Comes mentions in passing England's Sir Edward Burne-Jones, a 19th century artist, designer, and painter associated with the latter part of the Pre-Raphaelite movement.

"Like something out of Blake or Burne-Jones."

Couldn't tell you who Blake was.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 13:22
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Van der Graaf Generator's When She Comes mentions in passing England's Sir Edward Burne-Jones, a 19th century artist, designer, and painter associated with the latter part of the Pre-Raphaelite movement.

Blake is William Blake, British poet and painter. his most famous poems are "Jerusalem", set to song by Edward Elgar (one of the unofficial national hymns of the UK and used by ELP too) and "The Tyger", used by Tangerine Dream on the album "Tyger".

Jerusalem ["And did those feet in ancient time"]

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon Englands mountains green:
And was the holy Lamb of God,
On Englands pleasant pastures seen!

And did the Countenance Divine,
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here,
Among these dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my Bow of burning gold:
Bring me my arrows of desire:
Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Chariot of fire!

I will not cease from Mental Fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand:
Till we have built Jerusalem,
In Englands green & pleasant Land.

The Tyger

Tyger Tyger, burning bright, 
In the forests of the night; 
What immortal hand or eye, 
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies. 
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand, dare seize the fire?

And what shoulder, & what art,
Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat,
What dread hand? & what dread feet?

What the hammer? what the chain, 
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp, 
Dare its deadly terrors clasp! 

When the stars threw down their spears 
And water'd heaven with their tears: 
Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb make thee?

Tyger Tyger burning bright, 
In the forests of the night: 
What immortal hand or eye,
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

as to his paintings: look at these album covers of Atomic Rooster and Gilgamesh

this picture is titled "Nebuchadnezzar"

this picture is titled "The Ghost of a Flea"

Edited by BaldJean - April 03 2019 at 14:43

2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 22:10
^ Yes, before the Industrial Revolution ruined it, England would have been such a lovely place it is inconceivable that Jesus wouldn’t have at least popped over for a short break .
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2019 at 00:29
^ England is no longer a beautiful place?

do you not get out of the city occasionally? There is still a great deal of wonderful countryside and lovely villages to enjoy.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2019 at 05:54
^It is still beautiful, we actually have 3 dogs and are out every day in many different places, mostly in Cheshire and Lancashire but occasionally Derbyshire, Yorkshire and Flintshire. Still finding new ones even. But I was really trying to get Blake's reasoning here LOL.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2019 at 06:23
Blake's Nebuchadnezzar looks as if he just read "mene mene tekel upharsin" written on the wall in fiery letters

Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formentera Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2019 at 09:00
Thieves Kitchen  - Hypatia
http://thieveskitchen.bandcamp.com/track/hypatia

about a female philosopher and mathematician (around 355 - 415) who worked in the great library of Alexandria, and was murdered in the course of a clash between religion and science.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2019 at 09:52
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Van der Graaf Generator's When She Comes mentions in
passing England's Sir Edward Burne-Jones, a 19th century artist,
designer, and painter associated with the latter part of the
Pre-Raphaelite movement.

Blake
is William Blake, British poet and painter. his most famous poems are
"Jerusalem", set to song by Edward Elgar (one of the unofficial national
hymns of the UK and used by ELP too) and "The Tyger", used by Tangerine
Dream on the album "Tyger".

<div ="c-feature-hd">
               <h1 ="c-hdgSans c-hdgSans_2 c-mix-hdgSans_inline">
                    Jerusalem ["And did those feet in ancient time"]
               </h1>

<div ="c-feature-sub c-feature-sub_vast">

<span ="c-txt c-txt_attribution">
</span>
                            By William Blake
</span>

</span>

<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;">And did those feet in ancient time
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;"> Walk upon Englands mountains green:
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;"> And was the holy Lamb of God,
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;"> On Englands pleasant pastures seen!
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;">  
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;"> And did the Countenance Divine,
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;"> Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;"> And was Jerusalem builded here,
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;"> Among these dark Satanic Mills?
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;"> Bring me my Bow of burning gold:
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;"> Bring me my arrows of desire:
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;"> Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;"> Bring me my Chariot of fire!
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;"> I will not cease from Mental Fight,
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;"> Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand:
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;"> Till we have built Jerusalem,
In Englands green & pleasant Land.

<h1 ="c-hdgSans c-hdgSans_2 c-mix-hdgSans_inline">
                    The Tyger
               </h1>

<div ="c-tier c-mix-tier_offsetAsymmetricalShort"><article ="o-article"><div ="o-article-bd"><div ="o-vr o-vr_9x"><div ="o-grid"><div ="o-grid-col o-grid-col_9of12 o-mix-grid-col_offset1of12"><div ="o-vr o-vr_12x"><div ="c-feature"><div ="c-feature-sub c-feature-sub_vast">

By William Blake
</span>

</span>

<div ="c-feature-bd">
               <div ="o-poem isActive" -view="PoemView">

<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;">Tyger Tyger, burning bright, 
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;">In the forests of the night; 
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;">What immortal hand or eye, 
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;">Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;">In what distant deeps or skies. 
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;">Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;">On what wings dare he aspire?
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;">What the hand, dare seize the fire?
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;">And what shoulder, & what art,
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;">Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;">And when thy heart began to beat,
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;">What dread hand? & what dread feet?
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;">What the hammer? what the chain, 
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;">In what furnace was thy brain?
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;">What the anvil? what dread grasp, 
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;">Dare its deadly terrors clasp! 
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;">When the stars threw down their spears 
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;">And water'd heaven with their tears: 
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;">Did he smile his work to see?
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;">Did he who made the Lamb make thee?
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;">Tyger Tyger burning bright, 
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;">In the forests of the night: 
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;">What immortal hand or eye,
<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;">Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?<div style="text-indent: -1em; padding-left: 1em;">

<aside ="o-grid-col o-grid-col_3of12">

</aside>

</article>

as to his paintings: look at these album covers of Atomic Rooster and Gilgamesh

this picture is titled "Nebuchadnezzar"

this picture is titled "The Ghost of a Flea"
You are very good.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234