Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Something Heavy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasartir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Something Heavy
    Posted: March 19 2019 at 18:08
Hey everyone!
I have suddenly become interested in the heavier side of Prog again. I have been listening to a lot of Still Life/Blackwater Park era Opeth and The Sham Mirrors by Arcturus. I also really enjoy Enslaved's album "E".

My question to you is: Could you recommend something proggy but also heavy along these lines?

I have tried to YouTube new bands, but a lot of them just seem to focus on straight up Black Metal or Death Metal, and I need a little more prog in the mix to enjoy this type of music.

Thanks!
...Histoires Sans Paroles...
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2019 at 21:23
Ihsahn's solo albums

Edited by Triceratopsoil - March 19 2019 at 21:24
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2019 at 22:11
Devin Townsend... try Retinal Circus. There's another one I liked a little while ago, the band is Wilderun, the album Sleep at the Edge of the Earth.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 01:16
Sons Of Apollo -Psychotic Symphony

It features 2 ex Dream Theater members ( Portnoy and Sherinian) plus Billy Sheehan and a guitarist that was once in Guns N Roses ( not that one!) . It's filed under Prog metal and a lot of people have avoided it because of the Dream Theater connection but it is rather good actually. In my top twenty albums for 2018 and there wasn't too much in this genre that I liked or had heard during the last 12 months.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 01:31
Haken's latest album Vector is much harder than previous releases.
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 01:38
-Agalloch: The Mantle, Ashes Against The Grain, ...
-Borknagar: Urd.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 02:17
My bench marker for "heavy progressive" is Gorguts, so I may be of little/maximum use depending on your ears today, lol.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 02:49
Meshuggah - Chaosphere. It literally crushes your soul.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 05:52
-Between The Buried And Me,
-Vektor. 
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 07:42
Borknagar is perhaps something you should seek out they are really cool and progressive, but also Ved Buens Ende is quality
Tasartir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tasartir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 09:50
Thanks so much, everyone! I'm currently trying out Borknagar and Agalloch. Looks like Agalloch is what I was looking for.

I'm into Devin Townsend already. Gonna try Sons of Apollo soon.
...Histoires Sans Paroles...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 01:25
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Haken's latest album Vector is much harder than previous releases.

yep good one that.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 01:26
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

yep probably the only band with 'growling' vocals that I can stomach
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 02:36
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

yep probably the only band with 'growling' vocals that I can stomach
I do enjoy bands with growling vocals, only the music blows me away, the ‘vocals’ are just ‘there’......I tolerate them.

Edited by Tom Ozric - March 21 2019 at 06:09
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 03:41
Originally posted by Tasartir Tasartir wrote:

Looks like Agalloch is what I was looking for.

Last week, I ordered The Mantle and Ashes Against The Grain. And I've got Narrow Of The Margin. Wink

Edited by PhideauxFan - March 21 2019 at 03:42
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 04:21
Originally posted by Tasartir Tasartir wrote:

Hey everyone!
I have suddenly become interested in the heavier side of Prog again. I have been listening to a lot of Still Life/Blackwater Park era Opeth and The Sham Mirrors by Arcturus. I also really enjoy Enslaved's album "E".

My question to you is: Could you recommend something proggy but also heavy along these lines?

I have tried to YouTube new bands, but a lot of them just seem to focus on straight up Black Metal or Death Metal, and I need a little more prog in the mix to enjoy this type of music.

Thanks!

well, if you like the prog death Opeth, you should try Witherscape, Barren Earth and Be'Lakor. Even Insomnium might do the trick. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 09:49
Hi

Easy ... turn the bass knob all the way to that end, and then the trouble knob all the way to that end. Then get speakers that have heavy duty WOOD cabinets, and a nice magnet on its 12 inch woofer ... now get a room with lousy acoustics (typical living rooms!), turn it up loud and ....

There you go heavy.

Or you could cheat ... do what LA radio used to do in the early FM days ... change the turn table 1% slower, and most listeners can not tell the difference, and it always sounds heavier ... specially when the band wasn't!

Have fun! I'm the worst "suggester" around here ... metal machine music might be the heaviest album I got ... but I'm not sure that metal heavy folks will get it ... wtf is this?

Embarrassed
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 11:13
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi

Easy ... turn the bass knob all the way to that end, and then the trouble knob all the way to that end. Then get speakers that have heavy duty WOOD cabinets, and a nice magnet on its 12 inch woofer ... now get a room with lousy acoustics (typical living rooms!), turn it up loud and ....

There you go heavy.

Or you could cheat ... do what LA radio used to do in the early FM days ... change the turn table 1% slower, and most listeners can not tell the difference, and it always sounds heavier ... specially when the band wasn't!

Have fun! I'm the worst "suggester" around here ... metal machine music might be the heaviest album I got ... but I'm not sure that metal heavy folks will get it ... wtf is this?

Embarrassed

are you making fun of the OP and his thread? Because that's rude and I do not see the point. Or is it that anything metal related is to be ridiculed or something? 
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 12:11
Something heavy?

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 14:37
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

are you making fun of the OP and his thread? Because that's rude and I do not see the point. Or is it that anything metal related is to be ridiculed or something? 

Not really ... what is hard to figure out is what is his definition of "heavy" ... because there are so many things that are so heavy as to be weightless ... up to and including lyrics.

My only thoughts were that I hoped that it would bring about a clearer definition of what he was looking for ... because I'm not sure it is clear at all ... there is a lot of very light stuff in progressive that is very heavy ... however, I am not sure that this is something that he is looking for or wanting.

Embarrassed
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>