Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Three Colours /Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Three Colours /Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of these films "hues" most to your taste?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [18.18%]
1 [9.09%]
3 [27.27%]
3 [27.27%]
1 [9.09%]
1 [9.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Three Colours /Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy
    Posted: March 20 2019 at 12:46
The following quotes are copied from two Wikipedia entries as I'm being too lazy to use my own words:

"The Three Colours trilogy is the collective title of three films directed by Krzysztof Kieślowski, two made in French and one primarily in Polish: Three Colours: Blue (1993), Three Colours: White (1994), and Three Colours: Red (1994). All three were co-written by Kieślowski and Krzysztof Piesiewicz (with story consultants Agnieszka Holland and Sławomir Idziak) and have musical scores by Zbigniew Preisner."

"The Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy (also known as the Cornetto trilogy or the Blood and Ice Cream trilogy) is a series of British comedic genre films directed by Edgar Wright, written by Wright and Simon Pegg, produced by Nira Park, and starring Pegg and Nick Frost. The trilogy consists of Shaun of the Dead (2004), Hot Fuzz (2007), and The World's End (2013).

The name originates from a "silly joke" during the promotion of Hot Fuzz. Wright had written in Cornetto ice cream as a hangover cure for Frost's character in Shaun of the Dead, based on his own experiences. In Hot Fuzz, Wright included a couple of brief throwaway scenes that referred to the Cornetto joke in Shaun. On the promotional tour of Hot Fuzz during production of The World's End, one interviewer pointed out the use of Cornetto in the first two films, and Wright jokingly said that they represent a trilogy comparable to Krzysztof Kieślowski's Three Colours film trilogy."

Feel free to vote even if you aren't familiar with all of these.

Edited by Logan - March 20 2019 at 12:51
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 13:13
I like all six of them to varying degrees. I'll go with Red since it's the first I've seen of the bunch (saw it in 1996) and I fell in love with Irene Jacob. Hell, I'm looking at the big Red poster with her profile shot hanging in my den as I write this.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 13:23
Shaun of the Dead.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 13:40
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

I like all six of them to varying degrees. I'll go with Red since it's the first I've seen of the bunch (saw it in 1996) and I fell in love with Irene Jacob. Hell, I'm looking at the big Red poster with her profile shot hanging in my den as I write this.

Cool about the poster.

I'd love to have that poster, and I had the same reaction with Irene Jacob (was also rather in love with Gong Li at the time due to her films with Zhang Yimou). I also saw Red in 1996. I watched them in Blue, White, then Red order (Red is the one that I've re-watched the most) Those films all had a big effect on me. I wrote a long paper on the liberty, equality, and fraternity themes of the trilogy which I still have on 3 1⁄2-inch floppy disc somewhere.

Of the Cornetto films, I enjoy Hot Fuzz the most, followed by Shaun of the Dead.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 13:52

That is incredibly coincidental Dave. Except I have the Veronique poster in my Den, and the Red poster is hanging in the living room.

Great minds think alikeLOL

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 14:07
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

That is incredibly coincidental Dave. Except I have the Veronique poster in my Den, and the Red poster is hanging in the living room.

Great minds think alikeLOL

Originally I was going to do this as just a Kieślowski poll, but changed my mind at the last second (thought this approach might have a somewhat wider appeal). Then you would have had two posters from the list.

EDIT: I'm going to give the dark comedy-esque White a vote, which is often considered to be the least of the trilogy, but I love in its own right.   Love all of Three Colours.

Edited by Logan - March 20 2019 at 14:28
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 15:22
^
White is great. I love the shot of humor too after the emotional carnage of Blue, which I voted for.

KK is one of the greatest directors of all time, and so few people seem to have even heard of him.  I hope he is a celebrated national treasure in Poland. 

Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 15:31
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Cool about the poster.

I'd love to have that poster, and I had the same reaction with Irene Jacob (was also rather in love with Gong Li at the time due to her films with Zhang Yimou). I also saw Red in 1996. I watched them in Blue, White, then Red order (Red is the one that I've re-watched the most) Those films all had a big effect on me. I wrote a long paper on the liberty, equality, and fraternity themes of the trilogy which I still have on 3 1⁄2-inch floppy disc somewhere.

Of the Cornetto films, I enjoy Hot Fuzz the most, followed by Shaun of the Dead.

I wound up watching the 3 Colours trilogy out of order (Red, Blue, White). My father's favorite is White..I'm thinking because it moved at a pretty upbeat pace for a Kieslowski film.LOL
I got heavy into Asian cinema in the late 90's via the HK scene, and the first actress I fell in love with was Joey Wong thanks to A Chinese Ghost Story. She took my breath away.

As for the other trilogy here, I love Shaun and Hot Fuzz was cool, but as much as I loved the concept of The World's End, I just wasn't feeling the latter third or so as much as I wished.

Sweet! After the 3 Colours trilogy I wasted no time in watching Veronique. Many years later I got the Criterion DVD of that flick, but I still haven't watched the DVD or all the extras yet.I should get around to that...it's been so long since I've seen it.

Edited by Prog Sothoth - March 20 2019 at 15:33
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 16:22
Shaun of the Dead
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 16:38

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Cool about the poster.

I wound up watching the 3 Colours trilogy out of order (Red, Blue, White). My father's favorite is White..I'm thinking because it moved at a pretty upbeat pace for a Kieslowski film.LOL
I got heavy into Asian cinema in the late 90's via the HK scene, and the first actress I fell in love with was Joey Wong thanks to A Chinese Ghost Story. She took my breath away.

As for the other trilogy here, I love Shaun and Hot Fuzz was cool, but as much as I loved the concept of The World's End, I just wasn't feeling the latter third or so as much as I wished.

Sweet! After the 3 Colours trilogy I wasted no time in watching Veronique. Many years later I got the Criterion DVD of that flick, but I still haven't watched the DVD or all the extras yet.I should get around to that...it's been so long since I've seen it.

Oh yeah. I have the Criterion Veronique. Such a beautiful looking film and lots of cool extras that shed some light. Check it out for sure!

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 10:13

You ought to get THE DOUBLE LIFE OF VERONIQUE ... Irene is even better in there! And the use of the music in that film is probably the best that Kieslowski ever did!

I have not looked at it yet ... is the Cornetto stuff available on the tube? It's the only chance I will have to watch it ... it's got me curious!

Edited by moshkito - March 21 2019 at 10:15
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 10:52
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

You ought to get THE DOUBLE LIFE OF VERONIQUE ... Irene is even better in there! And the use of the music in that film is probably the best that Kieslowski ever did!

I have not looked at it yet ... is the Cornetto stuff available on the tube? It's the only chance I will have to watch it ... it's got me curious!

Great point. How did I forget to mention. Veronique has, hands down, the MOST beautiful music you will ever encounter in a film. If you enjoy moving, dreamy, melancholic classical music, you need to hear the soundtrack....or just watch the film.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 12:47
Zbigniew Preisner's The Double Life of Veronique soundtrack is gorgeous (I have it and his Three Colours soundtracks. His work on Dekalog and on Agnieszka Holland's Europa, Europa and Olivier Olivier is also worth hearing (and those are are well-worth watching for someone into Kieslowski).

As for the Cornetto trilogy, I wouldn't think that those would be on youtube. They all have been on Netflix, but I realise that you don't feel that you can afford to subscribe to that, Pedro (they usually have one month free trials). Americans get a better selection than we do in Canada, I might mention this in the Zhang Yimou thread too, but one can search for titles using https://usa.newonnetflix.info/catalog. There would be other places to find them online, but I couldn't endorse those (and one can risk viruses).

Edited by Logan - March 21 2019 at 12:51
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 13:13
^

And don't forget his music in Holland's "The Secret Garden." He should go down as one of the greats. 

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 13:51
Ah yes, I have seen that too. Can't say I remember it well. It's one to re-watch or just listen to the soundtrack on its own..
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 17:39
Bleu is one of my favourite films ever.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 19:38
"Can I get any of you c*nts a drink?"
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2019 at 12:53
^ That line from Shaun of the Dead would have fit the epic pub crawl of "The World's End" nicely.

For some reason the "great, big, bushy beard" Hot Fuzz line is the one that has most entered my consciousness from the Cornetto films.

Inspector Frank Butterman: "And he had one thing you haven't got."
Nicholas Angel: "What's that, sir?"
Inspector Frank Butterman: "A great, big, bushy beard!"
Alia: "And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!"
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2019 at 13:56
Kyrzysztof Kieślowski's Three Colours film trilogy (especially Blue) are among my least favorite "serious" movies - all severely beaten by the even more annoying Double Live of Veronique though - I've been more moved by female characters in slasher movies. We just don't match I guess. I'm not the biggest fan of Preisner music either really - but I used to find in quite enchanting. Haven't seen The Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy but I'm certain I'd prefer it.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2019 at 14:51
For me the trilogy is not so much about the characters as it is the look and certain themes that run through the Three Colours Trilogy. As a character, I found myself most drawn to one of the male ones, the Polish immigrant Karol Karol in White. My favourite Kieslowski overall is the ten-part miniseries Dekalog, which I think superb.

You'd probably quite enjoy "Three Flavours" -- lots of fun.

Speaking of horror films, the other sleepless night I put together a folk/ rural horror film poll (with pagan/ occult elements), but lost it in transit as I had just watched Blood on Satan's Claw. Hot Fuzz has some relation to that ilk (a la The Wicker Man, though Hot Fuzz is quite a different take on an outsider policemen in a village with sinister things afoot).

Edited by Logan - March 25 2019 at 14:54
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>