Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Criminally underrated albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Criminally underrated albums
    Posted: March 23 2019 at 06:08
What albums do you feel are criminally underrated on ProgArchives, and why? A few that I think deserve higher ratings:
McDonald & Giles: s/t. (3.36) I discovered this album when I was in high school in the early '70s, just a month after hearing "Court of the Crimson King" for the first time and looked at as a missing King Crimson album (same thing with Peter Sinfield "Still". I still love it to this day.
Camel: "Rain Dances" (3.60)  While this album marked a major change in direction for the band, it's still a good  record. And it's certainly better than "Nude," which is rated higher (3.67).
Strawbs: "Nomadness" (2.54), "Burning For You" (2.58) and "Deadlines" (2.88). You have to be kidding me. There are tons of great songs on these three albums. Just off the top of my head: Golden Salamander, So Shall Our Love Die, Tokyo Rosie, Hanging in the Gallery, The Promised Land, Burning for Me, Barcarole, Deadly Nightshade, Words of Wisdom, etc.
What do you think and what ratings make you grumble to yourself?
PROGMATIC
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 07:07
Hi,

To be honest, I am of the opinion that the only underrated album out there is from the reviewer that wrote that comment, or accepted that idea, instead of explaining for himself/herself what it was that made the album less valuable for them!

I am a "rebel" of sorts, but NOT a rebel without a cause ... and that is the side that many folks do not see! I don't simply worship an idea because of a movie star or two, like so many folks STILL do here!

Lastly, I wonder why folks sit and think that something or other is inferior or superior to something else, when you should be looking at the ARTIST, not anything else ... you're not sitting here writing what you did, thinking that Beethoven's 9th is the best, and his other 8 symphonies are total crap and not even worth rating ... which says ... YOU ARE NOT LISTENING ... you are merely mentioning the bits and pieces you LIKE.

Sadly, a band like CAMEL ends up sounding like they are not worth standing up ... if you look at the complete catalog, you have to say that the band is fantastic, and deserves a lot of applause for the amazing amount of great music ... and to say that RAIN DANCES is better or worse than NUDE, is really, totally sad, and for my tastes, a lack of appreciation for the variety and the desire to create something special ... which the band did in both of those cases! NUDE is a fantastic album, were it not for a theme that makes a lot of people feel uncomfortable, starting with one word! So that means that RAIN DANCES is a lighter album and therefore better?

I don't even want to start on STRAWBS ... a truly special band in my eyes and ears ... but people like the party faire, not the stuff that has a stronger meaning than just ... whatever ... I can still play H&H and Ghosts, and Deadlines and many of their albums ... and it never loses its sensitivity and care for its work ... like CAMEL, there is nothing to over rate or under rate STRAWBS ... as an "artist" this band is fantastic ... regardless of what anyone else says!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 07:39
I don't really have an issue with criminally underrated albums; after all degustibus non est disputandum. My issue is more with criminally unknown albums, like Roman Bunka's "Dein Kopf ist ein schlafendes Auto", Mother Gong's "Fairy Tales" or Nik Turner's "Xitintoday".

Edited by BaldFriede - March 23 2019 at 08:05

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 08:00
^^ Anyone who honestly believes that artists don't have their 'bad days at the office' like everybody else, should probably be sectioned, in counselling or barred from using metal cutlery. I buy things I like. I don't buy things I don't like. You say that our critical faculties are found wanting whenever we exercise a personal preference in this regard. Great artists are sometimes capable of creating bad art.

Edited by ExittheLemming - March 23 2019 at 14:45
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 08:54
Unfortunately, most reviews are based on personal taste and opinions, and that's what counts for most (not all of course) people who buys music. I personally don't care about the ratings that much. I've found many albums that are considered "Not that Good" to be quite enjoyable for myself, and that's the only thing that ultimately matters.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 09:20
I'm glad Rain Dances got a mention, because everyone goes on and on about Moonmadness and The Snow Goose, two overrated albums. Rain Dances is primo Camel. 

But there are many other albums that deserve a "criminally underrated/unknown" mention first, like this one I just posted yesterday in the Obscure Prog thread. Yeah. they sound a lot like Wind/Trick/Three-era Genesis meets Styx, but hey.

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 09:40
For me personally Residents Mark of the Mole is my main example that's not just another overlooked gem - but doesn't get enough love from those who know it. A stunningly executed almost industrial-sounding (but somehow warm) concept album. So many wonderful melodies, themes and soundscapes. Way ahead of its time I'd say. The CD-version includes the Intermission EP which is just as essential and underappreciated. Unfortunately it was mostly downhill from there. Incredible stuff if you like me don't need progressive rock to to sound like "prog rock"

(a video containing all of the Mole-related material which means you also get the great Tunes of two Cities but stop before The Big Bubble starts)

Edited by Saperlipopette! - March 23 2019 at 11:01
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 10:07
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Unfortunately, most reviews are based on personal taste and opinions, and that's what counts for most (not all of course) people who buys music. I personally don't care about the ratings that much. I've found many albums that are considered "Not that Good" to be quite enjoyable for myself, and that's the only thing that ultimately matters.

I agree with you when you said " I personally don't care about the ratings that much. I've found many albums that are considered "Not that Good" to be quite enjoyable for myself, and that's the only thing that ultimately matters"

That is the point ! Some albums receive a high cotation in PA and some others no  but..  This is only a reference. Although can be a good guide, only after an audience (or more) I can make my judgement !!!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 10:38
^ That, but I'll post this anyway.

Criminally "underrated" (held in too low regard) might imply to me that an individual or individuals have made serious, erroneous criminally defamatory, libelous claims about the album and/ or the makers of the album (this may include various threats). For instance, "Comus' 'First Utterance' is musically an obvious imitation and perversion of the Everly Brothers album 'Christmas With The Everly Brothers and the Boys Town Choir'. Rest assured, Comus, the Everly Brothers Fan Club in concert with ex-members of the Boys Town Choir (now known as the Geriatrics Town Choir) shall exact its horrific-for-you revenge."

To be clear, I made that up, the Everly Brothers fan club have never, to my knowledge, threatened Comus or claimed that Comus imitated the Everly brothers.

That Comus story leads me to an album that I rather do think underrated and quite unfairly maligned, which is Comus' follow-up album to First Utterance called To Keep From Crying. The aggregate rating is higher than it used to be at 2.79, but compare it to Song to Comus: The Complete Collection which combines First Utterance with To Keep From Crying (with some superb bonus tracks, which bumps it up) and has a rating of 4.53, which is a higher rating for the this compilation album than for the First Utterance album, which has a rating of 4.14.

While I think that terms such as overrated and underrated get overused, and I think the terms works best when citing specific claims about something which may be verifiably incorrect, rather than it just coming down to personal taste, not only do I "feel" that To Keep From Crying does not get enough respect from those who love First Utterance, but I wish that it got more attention from those who hate Comus based on the rather dark and disturbing, pagan themed conceptual album called First Utterance. I think To Keep From Crying is judged more harshly as an album because people have certain expectations due to listening to First Utterance, and I think it gets ignored rather unfairly.

I also think that some people are too harsh when it comes to Magma' Merci, which has some excellent music, I think, at least. As an example of me underrating something, I was far too harsh with the Magma-related Offering hen I first heard it (I soon grew to really like it, much more than Merci bar a couple of tracks, actually, which at the time I thought was better than Offering's first album).

Edited by Logan - March 23 2019 at 11:45
Just a fanboy passin' through.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 10:40
I just pulled McDonald and Giles out yesterday to play it in the car on the way to work...great album..very atmospheric and mellow...but not sure about saying 'criminally' underrated. I think 3.5 to 4 stars is fair though...so a bit underrated .
Still by Sinfield gets 3.64 on PA..another very enjoyable record imo...and a fair rating .
I'm sure given some time I could come up with several that I  really like that get low reviews here....but as always it's subjective.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 10:48
ELP - both of their Works volumes have a lot of great material. Even Love Beach isn’t the ‘useless turd’ many make it out to be.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 10:52
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

What albums do you feel are criminally underrated on ProgArchives, and why? A few that I think deserve higher ratings:
McDonald & Giles: s/t. (3.36) I discovered this album when I was in high school in the early '70s, just a month after hearing "Court of the Crimson King" for the first time and looked at as a missing King Crimson album (same thing with Peter Sinfield "Still". I still love it to this day.
Camel: "Rain Dances" (3.60)  While this album marked a major change in direction for the band, it's still a good  record. And it's certainly better than "Nude," which is rated higher (3.67).
Strawbs: "Nomadness" (2.54), "Burning For You" (2.58) and "Deadlines" (2.88). You have to be kidding me. There are tons of great songs on these three albums. Just off the top of my head: Golden Salamander, So Shall Our Love Die, Tokyo Rosie, Hanging in the Gallery, The Promised Land, Burning for Me, Barcarole, Deadly Nightshade, Words of Wisdom, etc.
What do you think and what ratings make you grumble to yourself?

McDonald and Giles was supposed to be what KC would have sounded like if McDonald had stayed in the group, but it's a far cry from that KC debut.  I find it underwhelming if somewhat interesting

Rain Dances disappointed because it was so different, but it's actually a bold and very accomplished album even if the style doesn't really do it for me

re Strawbs' late 70s albums, it's hard to argue that they don't have lots of good songs.  The problem is they seemed to lose the plot a bit.  The albums were disjointed, with the whole being less than the sum of its parts.  In their early 70s albums, the songs just fit together, like they were conceived as a lot.  I'd say the best of the 3 you mentioned is "Burning for You", which is still brought down by a few weak songs
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 11:00
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

ELP - both of their Works volumes have a lot of great material. Even Love Beach isn’t the ‘useless turd’ many make it out to be.

I agree about the Works volumes, but I still consider Love Beach a useless turd.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 11:07
Regarding Tull...I think This Was, War Child, and Stormwatch are all a bit underrated.
The Moody Blues...I think Chord and Threshold deserve to be 4 star albums....both are excellent and ground breaking for the time period..imho.

Edited by dr wu23 - March 23 2019 at 11:12
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 11:18
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

It's certainly better than the 3 album!

Emerson, Lake & Powell: great record. Does it still get a lot of flak? "The Miracle," "The Score," "Touch & Go"...love 'em!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 11:23
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I don't really have an issue with criminally underrated albums; after all degustibus non est disputandum. My issue is more with criminally unknown albums, like Roman Bunka's "Dein Kopf ist ein schlafendes Auto", Mother Gong's "Fairy Tales" or Nik Turner's "Xitintoday".
To the criminally unknown albums, I would add Helmut Koellen-You Won't See Me, Eddy Marron-Por Marco, Peter Giger-Family Of Percussion, Giger Lenz Marron-Beyond, and Giger Lenz Marron-Where The Hammer Hangs
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 12:13
Rick Wakeman's Criminal Record Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 12:19
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Rick Wakeman's Criminal Record Tongue

Rick's best! Clap
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 12:42
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Regarding Tull...I think This Was, War Child, and Stormwatch are all a bit underrated.
The Moody Blues...I think Chord and Threshold deserve to be 4 star albums....both are excellent and ground breaking for the time period..imho.
I'm with Wu. Wherever that is.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 15:45
The only Moody Blues albums I would say are under rated are the later ones(especially Long Distance Voyager). The "magnificent seven" all get lot's of admiration from most familiar with them. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 23 2019 at 15:45
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>