Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

These Trails (Acid Folk from Hawaii)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: These Trails (Acid Folk from Hawaii)
    Posted: March 24 2019 at 09:59
I don't know if this has ever been formally considered, and I've been thinking about suggesting this for quite some time.

These Trails released just one album, which was a very limited, private pressing release in 1973. While I wouldn't so much describe it as folk-rock, I think that the way the synthesizer is incorporated gives it more Prog appeal (of the electronic Prog, DIONNE - BRÉGENT et al ilk). I think it would fit alongside various acid folk acts in the archives nicely (such as ones I suggested and were added before such as Linda Perhacs, as well as some Vashti Bunyan and various acid folk or acid folk related ones, and in parts it reminds me of Comus' To Keep From Crying, I love that album, and don't let that put you off, and more than the Comus, I'd compare it to acid folk albums such as Extradition's Hush, which wan't added to Prog Folk).

One will notice that some of the songs fit Prog Folk better than others, but I think it works as a whole when one absorbs the whole feel of the album.

This would probably be the highlight for many Acid Folk lovers, and some might start by listening to this to whet a certain whistle (that "Parallelograms" sort of whistle):

And this for an interesting one with the synths:

And some raga qualities (I find this gorgeous):

Or just listen to the whole album to start as it has plenty of variety (that variety is part of what makes it sound progressive to me):

I will happily do the addition if These Trails is accepted for Prog Folk, and I think it would be a nice addition to Prog Folk alongside various Acid Folk (i.e. psychedelic folk) acts in PA.

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/these_trails/these_trails/
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2019 at 11:11
Thumbs Up wonderful album I can't see why not (but then again Extradition didn't make the cut)?
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2019 at 11:58
I didn't even know they weren't on here. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2019 at 12:38
^ I had thought it would be probably be here already too when I looked it up here before.

^^ Extradition's exclusion did give me some pause when it came to formally suggesting These Trails (to be honest, there have been quite a few psych folk albums that I'd like to see in PA, and if we ever subcategorise Prog Folk, I would like to nominate myself as a team member for the Progressive Acid Folk category). ;) So much music that I like has a psychedelic music component.

Since Prog Archives has the sister sites jazzmusicarchives and metalmusicarchives, I'd be willing to help with folkmusicarchives. :)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2019 at 13:23
And, to update, These Trails has been added to Prog Folk: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=10851

I may edit the band and album entry a bit more later.

Edited by Logan - April 07 2019 at 13:24
 Post Reply Post Reply