Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwell hi there from sunny Luton.....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: well hi there from sunny Luton.....
    Posted: September 23 2005 at 09:13

Prog....the soundtrack to my youth. as an old newbie (48yrs), I have lived in a musical vacuum since the abomination that was punk swept by in 1979. But I knew the old bands were just hiding...biding their time before rising phoenix like from their lairs....well VdGG anyway. and although I suppose its not quite the same live now, as it was in 1973, at the opening bars of close to the edge, I am young once more, renewed by mellotronia.

I stumbled across this site by accident, and I hadnt realised that there are new?( well new to me) prog rock bands who arn't half bad. dream theatre for instance. I must catch up...these bloody icons have got my goat though.......

moon tail, tail fly ?? what is that?

The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 09:34
Welcome to the forum! I don't know how clued up you are on modern prog but there's a rather extreme group called Mr Bungle that are somewhat well known. If you're a fan then pardon me, but you may have picked an unfortunate username. 

Oh, and where do you stand on Gentle Giant?
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 09:37
on the shoulders of, of course!
bungle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 10:00

I used to own playing the fool, but sadly it got burgled by some bastard who broke in some years back(he cleaned out my vinyl collection). generally I deeply approve of their stuff, but I'm not to keen on some of their vocal harmonies (Knots etc). the mainstays of my record collection then , as now are the old staples...yes, elp, early genesis, van der graaf generator, tull, roxy music (?prog)king crimson, procul harem, supertramp, with a smattering of slightly less well known stuff...greenslade, seventh wave.

I suppose I was lucky enough to be the right age when a lot of the original prog was appearing, and I saw most of the above bands in their original pomp....the mirror balls, the cloaks, the pointy hats, the twin saxophones, the batswings, the persian rugs....oh the thrill of it all.

Phil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 10:14
Sunny Luton! I'm from bloomin Wheathampstead and its peeing down 'ere!

Anyhow welcome - your history seems fairly similar to mine, since finding this site and generally searching around I have tried:

Dream Theater ( yet to be entirely convinced, sound more like 80's version of what prog should be)
The Mars Volta (different! Bit like Crimson on speed)
Tool (there is some debate on whether they are really prog or metal; but I don't like metal - but I do like Lateralus)
Sigur Ros - (all I can say is - very Icelandic!)

Agree with you about these bloody icons......

bungle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 10:19
dont know anything about mr Bungle though.....bungle was a kiddies puppet charachter in 70s UK TV

horza View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 10:25
Forget Mr Bungle for the time being,check Fates Warning and Shadow Gallery,the weird stuff can wait
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.
bungle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 10:25

Wheathamster...if only i lived there....

my kids do go to St Georges in harpendon, home of the harpie....does icelandic mean bjorkian?...that band are touring at the moment arent they?

bungle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 10:30

What are C-beams? Fates warning?? is this going to give me street cred with my teenagers. perhaps i could just drop the name casually into conversation, proving that the prog dinosaur lives again...or not.

youngsters these days..i lived in cardboard box at the end of our street etc etc etc

Phil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 10:58
Originally posted by bungle bungle wrote:

Wheathamster...if only i lived there....

my kids do go to St Georges in harpendon, home of the harpie....does icelandic mean bjorkian?...that band are touring at the moment arent they?

Ah well now if you said Luton when you mean Harpenden that's just inverted snobbery!

Sigur Ros are an Icelandic band who conjure up (from what I've heard) ambient sort of music...kind of soundscapes...nice, OK if you like that sort of thing. They've just released a new album so I believe.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 11:20
Well then Bungle, here's some modern groups that should appeal to your symphonic tastes:

• The Flower Kings
  • Erm...
  • I don't really listen to much post-70s symph.
  • Ah.
The Flower Kings are jolly good though! Check them out for sure. As far as 70's stuff goes, how obscure did you get? Did you ever explore the Italian scene, Canterbury, Krautrock?
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 12:12
Anglagard, Anekdoten. Can't forget them.
bungle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 12:18
i suppose that I have dabbled with both caravan and soft machine in my time, mahavisnu orchestra too come to that, and i did see caravan in the seventies, with renaissance as their support band, and soft machine when they played at the university in about 76-77ish. As a live act from then, genesis take some beating, what with gabriel strutting his stuff, although hawkwind if you're in the mood... the lights...the strobes...the naked girls...often more than a young lad could bear.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 12:53
Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

Anglagard, Anekdoten. Can't forget them.

No! ...And yet I did just that.
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2005 at 12:31

^ I'll second those two recommendations! There's lot's of good prog coming out of Sweden!

CandyAppleRed View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 15:59

Evening all. As there seems to be a distinct Hertfordshire influence to this thread I just thought I'd make my first post here! (I am a Geordie expat living in Ware for those interested!)

I have been lurking on this wonderful site for a while now, and have not only had my faith in "classic" prog rekindled (e.g. 70's Yes, Genesis, GG, KC etc), but I have also picked up on some amazing new bands - Anekdoten, Paatos, White Willow, Wobbler etc. - what is it with these Scandinavians who seem to have cornered the market in Mellotronia? Is there some unexplained Mellotron mountain up near the Arctic Circle?

I first started getting into prog around Close to the Edge and Foxtrot and some of the best gigs I have ever seen were at Newcastle City Hall in the early 70's - Gabriel in his batwings, Wakeman eating curry and chips while playing moog solos in his cape, early Camel, the Earthband (supported by Queen!), Greenslade, and a slightly over the hill Procol Harum, with the support act asking if we all came in the same taxi. I distinctly remember four of us chipping the putty out of one of the City Hall windows to catch a glimpse of Topographic Oceans even though we had tickets for the second night

Anyway enough of the past, and here's to more great music by those mentioned above, and Djam Karet, Isildurs Bane, Riverside, Grey Eye Glances, St Elmos's Fire, and many of the other great bands I've been turned onto here.

Cheers!

Phil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2005 at 11:33
Originally posted by CandyAppleRed CandyAppleRed wrote:

Evening all. As there seems to be a distinct Hertfordshire influence to this thread I just thought I'd make my first post here! (I am a Geordie expat living in Ware for those interested!)

Well howdy just caught your mail here, must be something in the water in Hertfordshire! I work in Hertford....!
 Post Reply Post Reply