Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spock's Beard Vs Porcupine Tree

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which Of these do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [25.32%]
43 [54.43%]
8 [10.13%]
8 [10.13%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2019 at 18:29
PT
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2019 at 18:38
Spock, maybe...both bands are rather generic.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2019 at 21:29
Spock's "Bread"? I think both bands have their good and bad days, but for me the Ryo Okumoto instrumentals raise the Bread above the Tree
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2019 at 21:54
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Definitely Pork Your Pine Tree (erm, Porcupine Tree) if I had to choose between them as I quite like some of the music such as Voyage 34, but I went with "I Don't Like Either" because I never got into PT despite trying a few albums (very tepid appreciation).  Spock's Bored (erm, Spock's Beard) I really disliked after purchasing Snow back in maybe 2004 or 2005 after it was recommended to me because I liked Genital Giant (erm, Gentle Giant) and was looking for more modern music.  I bought it without sampling first.  I soon discovered Mirror-Your-Door (erm, Miriodor) on my own, which did scratch the itch that I had.  I think I came in with the wrong expectations, subsequently some Spock's Beard music was pointed out to me that I could appreciate, but it very probably will never be a go-to band for me, and nor will Porcupine Tree (there are just thousands of acts that I'd rather listen to and explore).

Have you heard Coma Divine? That's the one I heard first and is still my favourite, even if there are things to enjoy from their later more metalish days too. They were still very atmospheric, and I feel there was a magic they could not capture again.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2019 at 23:51
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by maryes maryes wrote:

First vote to Spock' Beard

May you live long and progsper. Wink
Eloquently stated, although some days I love PT, some days SB.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2019 at 09:01
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Definitely Pork Your Pine Tree (erm, Porcupine Tree) if I had to choose between them as I quite like some of the music such as Voyage 34, but I went with "I Don't Like Either" because I never got into PT despite trying a few albums (very tepid appreciation).  Spock's Bored (erm, Spock's Beard) I really disliked after purchasing Snow back in maybe 2004 or 2005 after it was recommended to me because I liked Genital Giant (erm, Gentle Giant) and was looking for more modern music.  I bought it without sampling first.  I soon discovered Mirror-Your-Door (erm, Miriodor) on my own, which did scratch the itch that I had.  I think I came in with the wrong expectations, subsequently some Spock's Beard music was pointed out to me that I could appreciate, but it very probably will never be a go-to band for me, and nor will Porcupine Tree (there are just thousands of acts that I'd rather listen to and explore).

Have you heard Coma Divine? That's the one I heard first and is still my favourite, even if there are things to enjoy from their later more metalish days too. They were still very atmospheric, and I feel there was a magic they could not capture again.

No, thanks, I will look into.  As I have liked 90s PT more than 2000s PT, I do love so much music with psychedelic qualities, although I guess perhaps this is more space rock), that live would probably work well for me.  Actually, I liked music off Deadwing too which I heard when it came out; I already knew In absentia at the time, and heard earlier material later.  I've certainly never held disdain for PT, and while I did hold some disdain for SB at one time (it was so different from the kinds of music I listened to), I found music to like later on thanks to Epignosis.  I have liked to explore more music by bands that I haven't liked, or haven't been that into, since I like to gain a more positive perspective and expand my musical horizons and palette.  And I like to not come across as too readily dismissive in conversations about certain bands and types of music, which can be through ignorance because one hasn't heard enough or because one is just not well enough acquainted with the style to acclimate to and "get" the music.   I think a lot of our appreciation comes from what we can associate the music with, and the more journeys we take, the wider our appreciation can be (discovering one band or album leads to more and more music).  At the time when I heard In absentia, and was regretting the purchase, I was into very particular sorts of music.  

I'm streaming Coma Divine now, but so far the music is not resonating at all with me (too many hard rock in your face guitar moments a la arena rock type music, and is feeling too alt. rock for me).  I'm really more of a gentle folk music, psychedelic jazz, cosmic electronic and other cosmic avenues, exotica, types of experimental music and classical music admirer.  I see that it come out in 1997, and my favourite album of that year is Art Zoyd's Haxan, with Robert Wyatt's Shleep and Hoyry-Kone's Huono Partiri, as well as some others, being loved too.  The majority of music I love in the 1990s is RIO/Avant-Prog and Zeuhl, which I guess mot people here who have known me for a while here would know.

I just don't think PT is for me.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2019 at 09:23
The Beard for me!!!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2019 at 22:27

No, thanks, I will look into.  As I have liked 90s PT more than 2000s PT, I do love so much music with psychedelic qualities, although I guess perhaps this is more space rock), that live would probably work well for me.  Actually, I liked music off Deadwing too which I heard when it came out; I already knew In absentia at the time, and heard earlier material later.  I've certainly never held disdain for PT, and while I did hold some disdain for SB at one time (it was so different from the kinds of music I listened to), I found music to like later on thanks to Epignosis.  I have liked to explore more music by bands that I haven't liked, or haven't been that into, since I like to gain a more positive perspective and expand my musical horizons and palette.  And I like to not come across as too readily dismissive in conversations about certain bands and types of music, which can be through ignorance because one hasn't heard enough or because one is just not well enough acquainted with the style to acclimate to and "get" the music.   I think a lot of our appreciation comes from what we can associate the music with, and the more journeys we take, the wider our appreciation can be (discovering one band or album leads to more and more music).  At the time when I heard In absentia, and was regretting the purchase, I was into very particular sorts of music.  

I'm streaming Coma Divine now, but so far the music is not resonating at all with me (too many hard rock in your face guitar moments a la arena rock type music, and is feeling too alt. rock for me).  I'm really more of a gentle folk music, psychedelic jazz, cosmic electronic and other cosmic avenues, exotica, types of experimental music and classical music admirer.  I see that it come out in 1997, and my favourite album of that year is Art Zoyd's Haxan, with Robert Wyatt's Shleep and Hoyry-Kone's Huono Partiri, as well as some others, being loved too.  The majority of music I love in the 1990s is RIO/Avant-Prog and Zeuhl, which I guess mot people here who have known me for a while here would know.

Oh well, too bad. It does have some hard rock elements, but not as much as later on, and I do like that quality in music, so it doesn't bother me. But it is more ambient and hypnotic than their later material too. It's got many of his songs originally recorded all by himself, but now played by the whole band... though I must say I only know these versions. I guess The Sky Moves Sideways should be a good one for you, but who knows... and in any case, perhaps the studio one, which goes on for over 20 min (and I have only heard once, but have not bought the album yet).
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2019 at 22:36
Spock's Bread, huh? Didn't know that vulcans baked that much LOL

Since i'm a dog, i only P on the Tree!!! Evil Smile

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2019 at 06:09
Two great bands, but its an easy easy vote for Spock's Beard. Not only do I find the music more interesting, the vocals are way better.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2019 at 09:29
Spock's Beard

Edited by dwill123 - March 30 2019 at 09:31
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2019 at 10:22

Oh well, too bad. It does have some hard rock elements, but not as much as later on, and I do like that quality in music, so it doesn't bother me. But it is more ambient and hypnotic than their later material too. It's got many of his songs originally recorded all by himself, but now played by the whole band... though I must say I only know these versions. I guess The Sky Moves Sideways should be a good one for you, but who knows... and in any case, perhaps the studio one, which goes on for over 20 min (and I have only heard once, but have not bought the album yet).

I like plenty of hard rock, especially classic psychedelic hard rock from the late 60s to early 70s ( music like Gun, Writing on the Wall, High Tide, Lucifer's Friend, Yesterday's Children, Black Widow, Sir Lord Baltimore, Coven, Black Sabbath etc.), and I used to love Led Zeppelin and various Rush, and I like modern music with hard rock/ metal elements such as Secret Chiefs 3, Hoyry-Kone, Taal,  and Alamaailman Vasarat, but with PT it was too reminiscent of kinds of arena rock to me.  I stuck with it past posting, and there were moments that I liked, and I wouldn't say that I disliked it on the whole.  The Sky Moves Sideways s one of the PT albums that I know quite well, and have listened to multiple times, although it's been about a  decade since I last listened to it.  I liked it, could appreciate it, but it never really spoke-to-me in the ways that a huge many other albums have (never felt sublime, really moved me, or really took me deep on a trip or resonated deeply with me, nor did I find particularly fun).  I rather like various PT, but I've never loved PT.  I guess right now I'm more in a folk, and electronic, Kosmische music phase, so that may be effecting my perception.  I do appreciate the recommendation, I am glad that I checked it out, and I am happy to try to gain a deeper appreciation of all sorts of music and discover new-to-me music.  I like to think that I can be quite adventurous when it comes to exploring music, although I haven't found PT particularly adventurous, not that I'm necessarily looking for adventurous music, but it has to excite me or resonate with me somehow, and for whatever reason PT hasn't done that much for me.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2019 at 10:36
Both excite me about as much as cleaning the lint trap on my dryer.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2019 at 10:53
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

LOL
That's how I feel about Marillion, Supertramp, Oldfield, and most of the Krautrock bands.......
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2019 at 10:57
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

LOL
That's how I feel about Marillion, Supertramp, Oldfield, and most of the Krautrock bands.......

While your sentiments may be true, they were not on this particular list. Wink
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2019 at 13:13
I only have one SN album but I have everything by PT...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2019 at 13:37
Spock's has a lot of albums, big catalog. I don't play a lot of them as often as I play Porcupine Tree albums, the Beard albums I do play are usually the same ones. I just find more creativity in all the Porcupine Tree catalog than in most of the Spock's Beard catalog.

The first SB albums are excellent, then it gets a tad generic and boring at times for me. Snow is such a cool story but it reminds me of a take off on The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, I want Snow to be different and on it's own and I can't see it that way. X did nothing for me, Brief Nocturnes started to come back to what I like......but in general I am very up and down with the SB catalog.

I can't say that about the Porcupine Tree catalog........This was an easy poll.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 04:50
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

The first SB albums are excellent, then it gets a tad generic and boring at times for me. Snow is such a cool story but it reminds me of a take off on The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, I want Snow to be different and on it's own and I can't see it that way. X did nothing for me, Brief Nocturnes started to come back to what I like......but in general I am very up and down with the SB catalog.

I'm also a bit up and down on their catalog, especially post Neal Morse-SB. Other than a few songs, the last couple discs haven't done much for me. More and more, I'm thinking that Ted Leonard is not the right guy for Spock's Beard. I found X to be excellent. It's my favorite since V. Brief Nocturne's was also very good. Snow never did much for me. I keep wanting to revisit it though.  
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 05:56
SB has been improving so much in the last releases ... and I never caught PT,  my fault because I understand they  enjoy general appeal.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 06:09
The Oblivion Particle is AMAZING.........just sayin’   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>