3 [4.69%]
4 [6.25%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2019 at 09:06
Interesting. I'm not a huge Tull fan, but Stand Up got my vote.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2019 at 09:21
Stand up, because "wow!"
Welcome to the middle of the film.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2019 at 09:41
Magma just beats out Jethro Tull but many great albums here. Particularly love Cluster, Can, Soft Machine

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2019 at 12:05
Trull
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2019 at 12:26
Prologue is among the best Renaissance albums for sure, my pick

Stand up follow close behind
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2019 at 12:50
Even though I voted for Can and could have just as easily voted for various others as I love many albums here (too many to want to list them all) , I'm a little sad to see Art Zoyd get no love here either in the votes or in posts (unless I missed it).  I love Les espaces inquiets.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2019 at 15:30
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Even though I voted for Can and could have just as easily voted for various others as I love many albums here (too many to want to list them all) , I'm a little sad to see Art Zoyd get no love here either in the votes or in posts (unless I missed it).  I love Les espaces inquiets.
Yes me too - it was between Art Zoyd or Magma who both had 0 votes and I went for the latter (who's album in this poll admittedly is perhaps a little more important to me)
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2019 at 17:21
Kate Bush for me. My second favourite of her behind the marvellous The Dreaming. I like Soundtracks and Les Espaces Inquiets, but they are quite a bit behind the best material of these bands in my view. Soft Machine 2, Prologue, Atem and The Orme are also very good. Another top notch transition album is Talk Talk's The Colour of Spring, that one probably tops Never For Ever.

Edited by Lewian - April 02 2019 at 17:21
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2019 at 23:00
Kraftwerk came so close to inventing techno with Kristallo on that album .

"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 00:33
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Kate Bush for me. My second favourite of her behind the marvellous The Dreaming. I like Soundtracks and Les Espaces Inquiets, but they are quite a bit behind the best material of these bands in my view. Soft Machine 2, Prologue, Atem and The Orme are also very good. Another top notch transition album is Talk Talk's The Colour of Spring, that one probably tops Never For Ever.
You're probably correct about Talk Talk. I thought of them as well but The Color of Spring is in my collection but I'm just not familiar with it enough (I don't think I've listened to it more than once). I've only really dug into their two last albums. 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 02:32
Miles.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2019 at 13:46
Le Orme - Collage +1
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 21:28
Stand Up 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 23:23
I can't quite get my head over what a transitional album is and I prefer Benefit to Stand Up, so I simply voted for Gryphon - Midnight Mushrumps, which for me is Gryphon's best album.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2019 at 18:48
Went with SM Vol. 2, but none of these blow me away (out of the ones I know). 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2019 at 03:06
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

I can't quite get my head over what a transitional album is and I prefer Benefit to Stand Up, so I simply voted for Gryphon - Midnight Mushrumps, which for me is Gryphon's best album.
First of all some albums simply has got that kind of reputation. But I think of it as albums that's got different tunes representing both past and future incarnation of themselves. Take Can - Soundtracks. I've hardly ever come across any text regarding it that doesn't mention the the transitional-term. And it makes sense to me...

-Stuck in between Monster Movie and Tago Mago and featuring both the american vocalist from the former album Malcolm Mooney and Can's iconic "future" vocalist Damo Suziki. Some songs has got the kind of late 60's loose psychedelic rock freakouts-feel  to them while others point towards the more artsy and forward thinking krautrock they will produce on albums to come. Soul Desert reminds me of their debut and Don't Turn the Light On could fit right in on Tago Mago's A-side. The other way around would be unthinkable. I could have used those last Second Great Quartet Miles Davis-albums released just before In A Silent Way and Bitches Brew to examplify the same thing.    

Midnight Mushrumps has got some of the medieval/renaissance-feel and similar approach to melody/themes of their debut album but also points towards the full on complex Gentle Gient-level prog of their next.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - April 25 2019 at 03:09
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2019 at 06:51
Hi,

Most of the so-called "transitional" albums, were NOT played that much on radio, and rarely, if EVER, got a lot of affection until afterwards.

Thus, things like Jethro Tull is only a transitional whatever, because of the fans, as his work was not exactly earth shattering, but an extension of the more experimental (and electric) folk material that was around at the time ... it probably had less to do with rock than it did with the wily ways of folk music. Bob Dylan would be transitional by just using an electric guitar ... Jethro Tull would not ... unless you think his lyrics are some kind of magic that lifts your bum off the couch!

Of all those albums, I would think that Tangerine Dream's album ATEM was one of the first to really hit the market and make people go ... what is that? ... which would fit into a "transitional" discussion. Renaissance is a different story, IF it was linked to the original Renaissance (Keith Relf's) which had no electronics, but all of a sudden this one is featuring Frances Monkman on all the far out and weird sounds you could find. Not sure that makes it "transitional", other than the band itself, IF it is related to the previous version, which I am not sure, or aware that it is.

MAGMA could be considered "transitional" in that it opened up a whole new slew of musical possibilities and in that sense, it would be a very valuable album in that mode. That they were able to continue it, and never succumb to the run of the mill, easy listening music of most radio and top of the pops concerns, is the far out thing, although some folks think that their last great album sounds too much like the first! But then, are we saying that Miles didn't?

Both CAN and GONG are not exactly "transitional" ... what they are is really well developed and studied music and well put together. CAN was quite obviously the perfect classical example that rehearsed something/anything until a thread was found ... and all 4 of their members were very high level students of music, and we have to consider that, unlike more than half of the folks listed in this poll! GONG started out as a bit of a fun international band, having fun with the commune and the dope/freedom aspects out there, which made them favorites in many places. However, their music, is not exactly "transitional" of anything, except in one album, that supposedly was totally done on dope, and in essence is an anti-dope album ... YOU. How's that for totally out there and being aware of what is going on? People getting into more dope, and they are saying ... enough!

Very strange topic for me ... and it looks like people are simply choosing favorites, instead of looking at a lot of the other music within a more objective context ... I know I like to discuss those conceptual things, but seeing a list like this drives me nuts ... both Mike Oldfield, Vangelis and Tangerine Dream had a lot more important "transitional" works in their cannon, to make the rest of the material listed ... poor! Those three will always be remembered as true composers and be "alive" for many years after they leave us. Most of the rest of the list will be forgotten and never mentioned again!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2019 at 08:27
^Thanks for your valid thoughts I guess. You wouldn't be the moshkito we're all so entertained by if you didn't constantly get your knickers in a twist about... something - so that's as it should be. But as I wrote in my opening post
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

This was all I could think of from the top of my head, but I'm hoping for suggestions and some sort of discussion. Some, like Vangelis were seemingly in constant transition for over a decade and I guess there's really no wrong answers here.

I also wrote

A somewhat subjective list but I've seen all these mentioned as sort of in between or-on its way to become who they became-albums. I usually seem to have more love for these so-called bit of once was and what's to come-albums than most.
So its put this together regardless of quality, reputation and influence. I’m well aware that many of these aren’t regarded as «important». That was sort of the point.

-You can also read my reply over your own post to better understand my approach.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - April 25 2019 at 09:42
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 08:02

Midnight Mushrumps has got some of the medieval/renaissance-feel and similar approach to melody/themes of their debut album but also points towards the full on complex Gentle Gient-level prog of their next. 

I believe this would be very incorrect. Gryphon was a part of the "folk" tradition in music around England that was trying to play things that were "real" and possibly sounded more like the originals ... and another example would be The Third Ear Band. However, their material was very well focused on at least one player who was very much a very high level student of music and knew what he was doing ... and in this case, I would suggest he merely electrified a lot of the earlier music in his own way.

That you seem to think that this might lead to Gentle Giant, would be totally backwards, because this music was around before, and GG thought it might be cool to do something else with it ... that they have a bit of that renaissance something or other, is probably accidental ... Gary Green has been on record as saying that most of that stuff in the early albums was NEVER composed, and they just played ... Gryphon, more than likely was composed ... and TIGHT! Thus, if Gentle Giant have a bit of this or that it might have been they thought it would be cool to try this, and then ... yeah ... add this or that to it. But saying that they were influenced by this or that ... is weird, when the likelihood is that it was accidental rather than intentional.

Gryphon also deserves some more credit for one other thing ... what they did was so well done, that it was even used as music for some Shakespeare by at least one of the famous theater groups (Midnight Mushrumps) ... something that even fans here can not imagine ... how was it used? We still don't know! Richard Harvey went on to do a lot of classical music material ... although I can not say that much of it was used in any/many other productions. I imagine that Richard probably had a much better idea of what he would like to do with it, but the weird/sad part, is that he did not do any music for films ... where his music would fit so well ... which tells you that the movie audience is so taken by the shlock fare of the Hollywood variety that hearing something different is not possible ... and half the producers would say ... he doesn't sound like Maurice Jarre or Vangelis ... forget it!

We're doing the same thing here! (only using "progressive" as the term!)

Edited by moshkito - April 26 2019 at 08:06
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 08:16

So its put this together regardless of quality, reputation and influence. I’m well aware that many of these aren’t regarded as «important». That was sort of the point.

My tastes in music are varied, because I was born in a fascist country, went to one that had a military coup, and then lucked out and came to America, only to find folks angry at a war in VietNam.

"Important", is relative. However, for you (maybe!) or many here (double maybe!), the "importance" of ANY WORK OF ART, be it music, film, painting, theater, or whatever, is always minimized so that the Melody Maker's version, or the Rolling Stone version of the rock music is far more important then the other arts ... and we here, are grossly guilty of that super indulgence, almost to the point of ridiculousness ... and I just find a breath of fresh air now and then when someone else sees, and agrees ... that theater and rock music were much closer together in Europe way before GENESIS, and all of a sudden folks in this board think I am trashing GENESIS, when in fact I am giving natural history a word that it deserves, which the British have a tendency to not like since they owned the world in one century way back when and then lost almost all of it, and they are STILL angry at all foreigners for it! Thus, you can see why "progressive" must be English, and if you look at film, painting, literature and some other arts, IT WAS NOT English at all ... many other folks were far ahead, and I still wonder, as should we ... why was rock music so far behind? ... like some 10 years?

All of those albums had some value and importance in their own world ... but we don't give a sh*t about the changes in Germany that even Edgar Froese had some amazing words for it on that one special ... why? ... we don't listen ... even to the music ... and we think that all musicians are a bunch of idiots simply waiting to have their butts kissed to make another top ten album! 

And this, my friend ... is exactly what the arts in Europe are NOT about! Specially in the 20th century, in case you have not noticed!

Edited by moshkito - April 26 2019 at 08:19
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>