FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

which songs gives you "'goosebumps''

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2019 at 04:37
Gong - I Never Glid Before.  The moment when Steve Hillage's guitar just cuts in and takes over
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2019 at 04:29
Karn Evil 9 1st Impression Part 2
Fripp's guitar on the intro to Starless
The chorus chord progression of In the Court of the Crimson King
The Barbarian by ELP
The climax to Larks Tongues in Aspic Part 1
The closing section of a Time and a Place by ELP

BTW Do geese get goosebumps?
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquonkHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2019 at 08:17
Certain sections of many songs qualify but for a full song it would be the sadly ignored Dear Father by Yes. Never fails to touch me deeply like no other can.
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 06:50
Same here - "Echoes" - an epic and uplifting song almost beyond compare! Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 22 2019 at 06:51
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 06:02
PT: Lazarus.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 10:21
on Meddle when youv heard the entire first half, Seamus is finaly sizzeling out and scilence....than   <<PING>> tension and scielnce, another PING,the sign that Echoes is, Echoes IS. the first PING and the succesing pings in that piece and its contextual 'story' gives me shivvers down my spine, goosebumps, and tears of awe.

Edited by Icarium - October 21 2019 at 10:22
alexbruno View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexbruno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 10:07
Tool - Rosetta Stoned. Some of my favorite riffage of all time
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 00:21
Originally posted by freed freed wrote:

What gives me goosebumps are powerful female voices in a rock / prog setting.

Curved Air - Metamorphosis with Sonja Kristina

I love that Curved Air track. Eddie Jobson does his 'thing' and Sonja is always amazing!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2019 at 03:21
Guthrie Govan Waves.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
freed View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 16:53
What gives me goosebumps are powerful female voices in a rock / prog setting.
Earth and Fire - especially Atlantis intro and full track by Jerney Kaagman
Julian's Treatment - A Time Before This (First Prophecy, etc.) with Cathy Pruden 
Renaissance - Scheherazade, Ashes Are Burning (especially in Live at Carnegie Hall for 23 min of pure bliss), Mother Russia, and many others by Annie Haslam, but also earlier band with Jane Relf
Curved Air - Metamorphosis with Sonja Kristina
Pink Floyd - The Great Gig in the Sky by Clare Torry, also Shine On You Crazy Diamond (no special female here, but the whole 26 min pure awe)

Edited by freed - October 13 2019 at 17:37
expand y-our mind, expand y-our world at planetwork.org
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deafmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2019 at 11:04
Further Away, The Wrong Side of Weird and Knucklehead all from I.Q. Colony of Slipper Men, Fly on A Windshield, Supper's Ready all by Genesis. Pirates by ELP. Siberian Khatru, Turn Of The Century, Close To The Edge (off the Keys To Ascension album) all by Yes. 

Edited by deafmoon - October 12 2019 at 11:10
Deafmoon
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terra Australis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2019 at 01:59
Fragile and Starless by King Crimson do it for me.
But yesterday it was 'The Space' by Marrilion. The last section soars...
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2019 at 00:55
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Talking of KC , when I saw them live last year it was the track Islands that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. That was totally unexpected.

Me too. I never disliked Islands, but it wasn't a stand out track for me on the album, but live it really moved me. I've seen them do it twice now, and it's kind of become 'our song' for my girlfriend & I, although it's safe to say I 'feel it' a little more than she does.

Anyways..other goosebump inducing tracks..

Los Endos - Genesis
Awaken - Yes
Man ERG - VDGG
From the beginning - ELP
Xanadu (from ESL) - Rush
This Woman's Work - Kate Bush
Sheep (particularly the ending) - Pink Floyd
Rubycon Part 1 - Tangerine Dream

interesting ones especially Kate Bush

ELP -From The Beginning is one of my favourite songs (no surprise to you I realise) . I want that at my funeral although hopefully its a long way off!LOL 
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 03:51
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Talking of KC , when I saw them live last year it was the track Islands that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. That was totally unexpected.

Me too. I never disliked Islands, but it wasn't a stand out track for me on the album, but live it really moved me. I've seen them do it twice now, and it's kind of become 'our song' for my girlfriend & I, although it's safe to say I 'feel it' a little more than she does.

Anyways..other goosebump inducing tracks..

Los Endos - Genesis
Awaken - Yes
Man ERG - VDGG
From the beginning - ELP
Xanadu (from ESL) - Rush
This Woman's Work - Kate Bush
Sheep (particularly the ending) - Pink Floyd
Rubycon Part 1 - Tangerine Dream
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 03:03
Man, there are tons haha. Let me see if I can list some proper prog tunes

King Crimson - Parts of I Talk to the Wind (the ending flute solo), Cadence and Cascade, Cirkus, Exiles, The Night Watch, Trio, The Fallen Angel, Matte Kudasai, Sartori in Tangier, The Howler, Three of a Perfect Pair, Dig Me, People

Genesis - The Serpent, The Silent Sun, A Place to Call My Own, Looking for Someone, Stagnation, The Knife, The Musical Box, For Absent Friends, Harlequin, Fountain of Salmacis, Watcher of the Skies, Time Table, Get Em Out by Friday, ah hell the whole Foxtrot album😂😂😂, Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, Firth of Fifth, The Cinema Show,  Back in NYC, The Lamia, The Colony of Slippermen. Oh geez too many to name. I'll stop here , otherwise we'd be here for days. 

🤣🤣

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - October 08 2019 at 03:21
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 02:28
 First one I thought of was the opening up of Cinema Show. By that I mean "chocolate surprise," where it goes from 12-strings to BASS PEDAL, ORGAN, and ELECTRIC GUITAR and the DRUMS kick in awodfihbvifvb. I listened to that part with an old girlfriend on repeat. Keeping on Genesis: The guitar/organ break after Hackett's solo in Supper's Ready during the battle, and the subsequent feel-good part with acoustic guitar and the organ riff in the background; when Peter comes in shrieking in the second verse of Back in N.Y.C.; the major part near the end of the Cinema Show solo, as well as the part earlier with the choir effect and bass pedals; the end of The Raven synth solo; the last verse of In the Rapids; the climax of the middle section of Mad Man Moon and how it rises gently back into the final verse; the piano ending of One For the Vine; when the lyrics come in on Duchess; the organ solo on Can-Utility. This band has the most for sure.

The ending of Close to the Edge is legendary; the end of the middle part of Sound Chaser where Jon sings the theme alone and then the last part of the melody is reharmonized; the end of Turn of the Century; the harmonies on the middle part of South Side of the Sky; the middle symphonic section of Astral Traveller; the part in Leave It where they restate the intro harmony vocals.

The end of You By My Side going into Silently Falling by Chris Squire

The middle section of People Music by Herbie Hancock, as well as the end of the saxello solo in Butterfly. Pretty much all of 4 A.M.

The keys solo on Blessed Relief; pretty much all of Zoot Allures; the B section of the melody of the first half of What's New in Baltimore? -Zappa

The end noodling on Cadence and Cascade; the opening flute on Lady of the Dancing Water; whenever Adrian goes to that minor 4 on Matte Kudasai, "chair"; whenever Adrian sings the 9 on Two Hands, "hands"; the chorus of Prince Rupert awakes (the bass though), the end of Prelude. -King Crimson

The development of Fugue, especially when you hear how Keith works in the Endless Enigma theme, and finally, it's ending, and transition to Enigma part 2; the piano solo before and after the acoustic guitar solo in Take a Pebble; the piano solo in Trilogy that abruptly become the second part in 5/4 -ELP

When the piano and strings come in on Wond'ring Aloud; when the strings come in on Slipstream and on Cheap Day Return; the Childhood Heroes part in Thick as a Brick pt 1. -Jethro Tull

The end of She's Leaving Home by The Beatles

The end of Song Within a Song and Chord Change; the end of La Princesse Perdue. -Camel

The end of Tandem by Et Cètera

The whistling solo in La Cathédrale de Strasbourg by Focus

The end of His Last Voyage; the bass on A Reunion; the first part of I Lost My Head; the part where everyone sings in Knots; Think of Me with Kindness; when the beat kicks in on Proclamation; the harmonies on No God's a Man; when the middle section of Schooldays gives way to the vibes solo. -Gentle Giant

The second verse of Earthrise; the growl vocals on The Architect; the last chord of Lapse; the bridge of Celestial Elixir; Atlas Stone; As Death Embraces; the calm section of Falling Back to Earth; the "I wish I could have been somebody" part of Somebody; guitar solo of Crystallised; the calm section of Nocturnal Conspiracy; Deathless; the end of Visions. -Haken

The end of On Time as a Helix of Precious Laughs and Hidden Woods by Happy the Man

The Rain Song by Led Zeppelin

The end of Sheep; the part in Echoes (you know the part). -Pink Floyd

The climax of La Luna Nuova; harmonies on Il Banchetto and Geranio. -PFM

Intro/outro to Can You Understand?; intro to Trip to the Fair; end of Things I don't Understand. -Renaissance

The build-up near the end of Jacob's Ladder by Rush

The synth solo on Big Ugly; Mr. Montauk; synth solo on Thing of Gold; end of Flood; bass solo on Skate U; Cory Henry solo on Lingus; the melody of Flight. -Snarky Puppy

That part in School that's major for a second; the build-up of Sister Moonshine; soprano sax solo on Just a Normal Day; "so easy to fiiiiiiiiiind" on Fool's Overture. -Supertramp

The melody of Non-Brewed Condiment; pretty much any Allan Holdsworth solo

The end of the choral section of Son of There's No Place Like Homerton by Hatfield and the North

Helplessly Hoping by CS&N

Bridge to Incommunicado; the synth arpeggios in Neverland; the end of Invisible Man; when Invisible Ink gets pumping; end section of Man of a Thousand Faces; Easter. -Marillion

The part at the end of the harmony vocals in Thoughts Part II when the harmonies get evil and distorted, emphasizing the neurosis; The Doorway; the part in Cakewalk on Easy Street where the riff comes back unexpectedly after the chorus under the last chord of said chorus. -Spock's Beard

And the list goes on with stuff by Caravan, Egg, Chicago, Chick Corea, Discipline, Frost*, Kaipa, IQ, Magma, The Who, The Police, Tears for Fears, Steely Dan, Weather Report, UK, The Tangent, Paul McCartney, George Harrsion, and MORE.
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2019 at 09:50
I got to see King Crimson in Nashville a few nights ago. Lots of goosebumps, and their performance of Starless was particularly moving. Level 5 brought the house down. I think Tony Levin left the Grand Ol’ Opry with some structural damage. What a night!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2019 at 03:28
IDK why, but the excerpt in my signature from General in His War Room by VDGG, always does it.

It's more a confluence of the production, atmosphere, instruments used, etc. - it creates an apex of imagery from me, that I love about prog so much.

"Into your...LIVING ROOM...*bass trill*"

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
GingerFox View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GingerFox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2019 at 01:52
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Multiple Beatles songs, mostly from Rubber Soul and onwards ("Norwegian Wood", "In My Life", "She Said She Said", "A Day In the Life", "Hey Jude", "Something" et al)
The Beach Boys: "God Only Knows", "Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)", "Pet Sounds" (instrumental track)
The Who: "Christmas", "The Acid Queen", "The Punk And the Godfather", "I Can See For Miles", "Anyway Anyhow Anywhere", "I'm a Boy"
David Bowie: "Starman", "Heroes"
Pink Floyd: "Comfortably Numb", "Time"
Mike Oldfield: the "ceremonial" introduction of instruments at the end of side 1 of Tubular Bells
Genesis: "The Carpet Crawlers"
Television: "Marquee Moon" (especially the guitar build-up)
Talking Heads: "Found a Job" (the outro), "Mind", "Air", "The Great Curve"
The Clash: "London Calling", "Clampdown", Kingston Advice", "Four Horsemen"
The Police: "King of Pain", "Don't Stand So Close To Me"
R.E.M.: "Pilgrimage", "Perfect Circle", "The Flowers of Guatemala", "Everybody Hurts"
Nirvana: "Smells Like Teen Spirit", "Drain You", "Heart Shaped Box", "All Apologies"
Soundgarden: "Black Hole Sun"
Björk: "Isobel"
Blur: "Brothers And Sisters", "Tender"
Pulp: "Feeling Called Love", "I Spy"
Radiohead: "No Surprises", "Planet Telex", "High And Dry", "Airbag", "Everything In Its Right Place"
Jarboli: "Utopija"
Pussy Riot: "I Can't Breathe"

A Day In the Life indeed! One of the proggiest songs of The Beatles
Where my country at?
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2019 at 12:36
Big Big Train - London Plane, particularly the closing few minutes
Pendragon - World's End
Dream Theater - Breaking All Illusions
Steven Wilson - Drive Home
IQ - Frequency

Edited by RoeDent - September 20 2019 at 12:37
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>