Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

which songs gives you "'goosebumps''

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2019 at 00:13
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Talking of KC , when I saw them live last year it was the track Islands that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. That was totally unexpected.

That's a reaction I never have. I wonder why. Wink

Mmmm what 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2019 at 03:05
Wow, I've had goosebumps from so many songs, but I'll pick out a couple:

Yes - "And You And I". The part where the music swells and Jon comes in with "Coming quickly to terms of all expression laid. Emotion revealed is the ocean maid". Gets me every time, even after 30 years.

VdGG "La Rossa" from "Still Life".
"Drown me drown me now and hold me down before your naked hunger, burn me on the altar of the night. Give me life!"
That powerful sense of longing for something seemingly unobtainable, but which will provide ultimate meaning and fulfillment.
Such a powerful emotion and certainly gives me shivers.

Also, from the same album, the ending of "Childlike Faith in Childhoods End":
"And though dark is the highway, and the peaks distance breaks my heart, for I never shall see it still I play my part. Believing that what waits for us is the cosmos compared to the dust of the past. In the death of mere humans life shall start."
Powerful stuff that never fails to bring a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye.
Songs cast a light on you
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2019 at 09:36

Psychotic Waltz - Into the Everflow

Genesis - Burning Rope

Dead Can Dance - The Carnival is Over
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2019 at 10:36
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

The last few minutes of Dabsong is just amazing. I especially like the way it goes back to the theme from the first song on the album. It's almost a bit of a trainwreck but somehow it works.  // < ="text/" ="https://ajax.cloudflare.com/cdn-cgi/s/04b3eb47/cloudflare-static/mirage2.min.js"> Smile That album sometimes gets a bad rap but that one track definitely saves it imo. 

As for Frank the one by him that stands out for me is "Peaches en regalia." 

Anyway, another one for me is "the fountain of lamneth part 1" by Rush(especially the first few minutes with the opening guitar riff). 

Yeah Peaches is obviously a well loved classic by Frank. So is Inca Roads. But he has so many great tunes, almost impossible to pick just one.. for me anyway. I'll have to check out that Rush song sometime. I do like them, just a little burned out on them(Floyd same).

Well, stop listening to the radio and listen to the actual albums. The radio ruins music because they play the same songs over and over again. Wink
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2019 at 13:10
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

//

Well, stop listening to the radio and listen to the actual albums. The radio ruins music because they play the same songs over and over again. Wink

This is true, haha.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2019 at 14:16
There are a lot of songs that give me goosebumps, but the most consistent artist that does so currently is Devin Townsend.  Oh, and King Crimson of course.

Classically, I would have to go with Rachmaninoff, Debussy, Bartok and Ravel 

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2019 at 16:55
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Wow, I've had goosebumps from so many songs, but I'll pick out a couple:

Yes - "And You And I". The part where the music swells and Jon comes in with "Coming quickly to terms of all expression laid. Emotion revealed is the ocean maid". Gets me every time, even after 30 years.

VdGG "La Rossa" from "Still Life".
"Drown me drown me now and hold me down before your naked hunger, burn me on the altar of the night. Give me life!"
That powerful sense of longing for something seemingly unobtainable, but which will provide ultimate meaning and fulfillment.
Such a powerful emotion and certainly gives me shivers.

Also, from the same album, the ending of "Childlike Faith in Childhoods End":
"And though dark is the highway, and the peaks distance breaks my heart, for I never shall see it still I play my part. Believing that what waits for us is the cosmos compared to the dust of the past. In the death of mere humans life shall start."
Powerful stuff that never fails to bring a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye.

Great posting, although I've loved these already, it puts them wonderfully in the spotlight. 
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 17:47
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

I just listened to Supertramp
-A Soapbox Opera
-Another Man's Woman
-Just A Normal Day
-School
-Rudy
-Crime of the Century
-Travelled
-Rosie Had Everything Planned

in order... Chills .. My #2 group ever.

Full agreement on "Just A Normal Day" - and several from Crime of the Century - that album is killer, and it always gets to me.  But it's one I can't pick and choose songs from - I just have to listen to the whole thing from start to finish.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 17:52
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Kate Bush - Moving, Lionheart, and this one...

I'll never forget getting the Aerial CD after waiting so many years for a new release from her.  I enjoyed disc 1, but was blown away by disc 2, and by the time Nocturn finished, and Aerial started, I was near tears.  At the close of Aerial (and the end of the CD) I was just weeping.

Can't say that's ever happened to me before listening to music.  I can get choked-up, but that one just did me in.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 17:56
Soft Machine's "Song of Aeolus" from Softs is one that always shakes me up a bit.

Also Camel's "Watching the Bobbins" from Harbour of Tears is one that I find quite moving.

Renaissance's "Song of Scheherazade" always gets me too.
GingerFox View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GingerFox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2019 at 00:09
The opening of Watcher of the Skies - Genesis

Firth of Fifth - Genesis

The Musical Box - Genesis

Hide in Your Shell - Supertramp

Nothing Left - Schizoid Lloyd

Father to Son - Queen

Supper's Ready - Genesis

Have a Cigar and Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

Pantagruel's Nativity - Gentle Giant

Boy Blue - ELO

Henry: Portraits From Tudor Times - Anthony Phillips

Where my country at?
TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2019 at 06:58
The final parts of The Musical Box (Genesis), Forgotten Sons (Marillion) and Out Of The Blue (Roxy Music) on Viva!, the mindblowing violin solo by Jobson.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2019 at 10:07
Watchtower - solo to Fall of Reason, UK - In the Dead of Night, Allan Holdsworth - The Unmerry Go Round, Yes - Starship Trooper outro, Yes - opening to It Can Happen, Barnabas - opening to Breathless Wonderment, Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb, Tori Amos - Silent All These Years, King's X - Out of the Silent Planet, Zebra - Who's Behind the Door, Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover, Yngwie Malmsteen - Icarus Dream Suite, Triumph - The Blinding Light Show, Gary Numan - Films and Cars, Devo - Beautiful World, Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms and opening to Money for Nothing, Big Country - In a Big Country, Scorpions - Sails of Charon, Michael Schenker - Captain Nemo, Rush - Broon's Bane/Trees/Xanadu sequence on Exit Stage Left, Kate Bush - Jig of Life and Under Ice, Police - Don't Stand So Close to Me, Message in a Bottle, Driven to Tears, and Secret Journey, King Crimson - In the Hall of the Crimson King and Elephant Talk, ELP - Lucky Man, Tarkus, and Toccata Ginastera, Genesis - Dancing With the Moonlit King, Tool - Schism, ... there's just too many!!! I give up.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2019 at 00:29
Originally posted by TenYearsAfter TenYearsAfter wrote:

The final parts of The Musical Box (Genesis), Forgotten Sons (Marillion) and Out Of The Blue (Roxy Music) on Viva!, the mindblowing violin solo by Jobson.

I think that may be my favourite live album. What a line up they had at that time!
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2019 at 12:51
Camel is a band with many songs that give me chills

Song within a Song, particularly the ending gets me every time. It's just out of this world.

Echoes by them as well, the verse in particular

There's really several throughout several throughout what ive listened to so far (Mirage, Snow goose, Moonmadness, Rain Dances, Breathless, Rajaz, Nod and a Wink) they're simply one of my favorite bands ever.

Outside of that I can only really think of The ending of Suppers Ready and Cinema Show.

Perhaps the Night Watch by King Crimson and Starless
TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2019 at 13:46
Two more: July Morning and Gypsy (both from Uriah Heep), when the swirling Hammond and heavy guitar riffs blend, an adrenaline rush, so exciting and compelling!

Edited by TenYearsAfter - June 02 2019 at 13:49
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2019 at 14:44
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Camel is a band with many songs that give me chills

Song within a Song, particularly the ending gets me every time. It's just out of this world.

Echoes by them as well, the verse in particular

There's really several throughout several throughout what ive listened to so far (Mirage, Snow goose, Moonmadness, Rain Dances, Breathless, Rajaz, Nod and a Wink) they're simply one of my favorite bands ever.

Outside of that I can only really think of The ending of Suppers Ready and Cinema Show.

Perhaps the Night Watch by King Crimson and Starless

I feel the same about Camel, very emotional and moody music.  That part where Andy sings about the red guitar on Rajaz (Straight to my heart?)  -- that part gets me every time.
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deafmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 05:08
Apocalypse in 9/8 section of Supper's Ready by Genesis, In The Dead Of Night by U.K., Romantic Warrior by Return To Forever, Further Away by I.Q., Watermelon In Easter Hay Frank Zappa.

Edited by deafmoon - June 03 2019 at 05:08
Deafmoon
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 10:21
Big Neil - Powderfinger

Strawbs - The Hangman

VdGG - Arrow

Many Oldfield guitar solos.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 13:20
Anything from Icehouse

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>