Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

which songs gives you "'goosebumps''

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 13:42
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Big Neil - Powderfinger

That album is so amazing. Powderfinger and Thrasher, especially. 

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 14:58
Neal Morse Band "A Love That Never Dies"

Gets me every time.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 15:07
Many songs, but the violin solo part of Losing It (Rush, from Signals) is exhilarating.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 15:26
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Many songs, but the violin solo part of Losing It (Rush, from Signals) is exhilarating.

Good call....I'm gonna play it now for the Oz!Big smile

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 19:47
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Good call....I'm gonna play it now for the Oz!Big smile
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2019 at 12:23
There must be many.. but the ones I remember now, that also frequently come accompanied by watery eyes (mainly in Rush), are these:

Rush:

· A Farewell to Kings: 

The combination of power and those amazing, epic, beautiful, direct, addressing, historical, justice and better society through intelligence and common sense driven lyrics... being screamed by Geddy:

Can't we find
The minds that made us strong?
Oh can't we learn
To feel what's right and what's wrong? What's wrong

[Lifeson's breaking guitar solo over the bass and drums section]

Cities full of hatred
Fear and lies
Withered hearts
And cruel, tormented eyes
Scheming demons
Dressed in kingly guise
Beating down the multitude
And scoffing at the wise
Whoa can't we raise our eyes
And make a start?
Can't we find the minds
To lead us closer to the heart?

· Xanadu 
   The ending guitar solo from that starting low note (but it could easily be the entire song: the birds, synth, chimes and guitar with volume effect at the beginning and the breaking of the drums & guitar picking after that).

· Here Again
   The slow guitar solo

Genesis:

· The Fountain of Salmacis
   The ending march with the guitar solo

· One for the Vine
   The synth part near the end

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2019 at 12:33
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Big Neil - Powderfinger

That album is so amazing. Powderfinger and Thrasher, especially. 

Absolutely, one of those classics you buy in pair, one copy for the living room shelves and one copy for the car.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2019 at 18:32
Multiple Beatles songs, mostly from Rubber Soul and onwards ("Norwegian Wood", "In My Life", "She Said She Said", "A Day In the Life", "Hey Jude", "Something" et al)
The Beach Boys: "God Only Knows", "Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)", "Pet Sounds" (instrumental track)
The Who: "Christmas", "The Acid Queen", "The Punk And the Godfather", "I Can See For Miles", "Anyway Anyhow Anywhere", "I'm a Boy"
David Bowie: "Starman", "Heroes"
Pink Floyd: "Comfortably Numb", "Time"
Mike Oldfield: the "ceremonial" introduction of instruments at the end of side 1 of Tubular Bells
Genesis: "The Carpet Crawlers"
Television: "Marquee Moon" (especially the guitar build-up)
Talking Heads: "Found a Job" (the outro), "Mind", "Air", "The Great Curve"
The Clash: "London Calling", "Clampdown", Kingston Advice", "Four Horsemen"
The Police: "King of Pain", "Don't Stand So Close To Me"
R.E.M.: "Pilgrimage", "Perfect Circle", "The Flowers of Guatemala", "Everybody Hurts"
Nirvana: "Smells Like Teen Spirit", "Drain You", "Heart Shaped Box", "All Apologies"
Soundgarden: "Black Hole Sun"
Björk: "Isobel"
Blur: "Brothers And Sisters", "Tender"
Pulp: "Feeling Called Love", "I Spy"
Radiohead: "No Surprises", "Planet Telex", "High And Dry", "Airbag", "Everything In Its Right Place"
Jarboli: "Utopija"
Pussy Riot: "I Can't Breathe"

Edited by The Anders - June 05 2019 at 19:17
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2019 at 19:21
And did I forget the Rolling Stones: "Gimme Shelter", "Jumpin' Jack Flash", "Going Home", "Street Fighting Man", "Live With Me"...
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 10:35
The ending section of Maxophone's When We Were Young. Otherworldly.

Edited by Rednight - June 13 2019 at 10:35
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 07:24
That godly church organ ascension in 'Awaken' gets me every time.
All of 'Aspirations' by Gentle Giant.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 07:40
Hi,

Apart from some lyrics, almost all of the music mentioned here has been a part of my sexiest and loving'est moments ever ... and the only goosebumps I might have would be some nails running slowly through my back, or my own nails running through hers!

Some lyrics are the bigger problem for me, and while I like Steve Wilson, and have no issues with his work in PT, on his own, every now and then one of his lyrics hits me wrong ... and badly wrong. It's not the lyric itself ... it's how he says it ... it's more than "personal" .... it ends up sounding vindictive and malicious, and that kind of stuff has a way of turning me off that person's work. So far, I have not let go of SW, in this example, but one more moment of that ugly side, and I will never play another SW moment, or possibly even another PT moment, even though I love that band ... but it's the mates that make it, for me, not him!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 15:17
I saw this thread when it was first posted but I couldn't sort out in my mind a song that addressed the 'goose bumps' part, until today.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 17:14
Very little gives me goosebumps. Only "firth of fifth," the chorus towards the end of CTTE and parts of Gates of Delirium. Ironically also parts of the snowgoose. :)
TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 18:12
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Very little gives me goosebumps. Only "firth of fifth," the chorus towards the end of CTTE and parts of Gates of Delirium. Ironically also parts of the snowgoose. :)

You are right, Firth Of Fifth, an eargasm, one of the highlights in symphonic rock

patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 18:47
“Mozambique” by Amon Düül II. The “raper of women” section, the whisper at the end ... scary.

Edited by patrickq - June 28 2019 at 18:51
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2019 at 02:18

I'm fairly certain you've spoken for me as well, here Clap.

"The path is clear, though no eyes can see; the course laid down long before..."

"Now that it's all over and done; now that you're fine now that you're WHOOOOOOOOLE; SEEEEASON WILL PASS YOU BY; I GET UP; I GET DO-OWN...."

Absolute pinnacle level stuff! ClapCry

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2019 at 02:20
The chorus of Golden Slumbers always gets me.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2019 at 06:37
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I'm fairly certain you've spoken for me as well, here Clap.

"The path is clear, though no eyes can see; the course laid down long before..."

"Now that it's all over and done; now that you're fine now that you're WHOOOOOOOOLE; SEEEEASON WILL PASS YOU BY; I GET UP; I GET DO-OWN...."

Absolute pinnacle level stuff! ClapCry

Yep exactly. I can't really think of all that many examples off the top of my head. Another one that really gets me is towards the end of Tubular Bells part one where the guy is introducing the instruments. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 29 2019 at 06:38
XavGD View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XavGD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2019 at 10:00
The solo in Opeth's Beneath the Mire always gets me!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>