Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Microtonal Prog - The Mercury Tree

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Friday13th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Microtonal Prog - The Mercury Tree
    Posted: April 02 2019 at 14:05
Summarized, Microtonal music is an umbrella term for non-traditional tuning, most often encountered in Indian or Arabian music. It can be pretty heady and complicated stuff, but while there are several modern "classical" composers who have messed with it (Harry Partch, Wyschnegradsky) as well as some pop composers (Sevish, Brendan Byrnes, Sygzygys), very few prog artists use microtones intentionally. 

The Mercury Tree have evolved into a legitimate microtonal prog band, and a darn good one too. Their last two albums have microtones peppered around, best exemplified in this track:

As if that is not gnarly enough for you all, their new album "Spidermilk" (supposed to drop today) is completely composed with 17 EDO guitars (instead of the standard 12 EDO) in mind. I am very excited to see how this experiment plays out. I think they're one of the few prog bands really pushing boundaries. 

Feel free to recommend any similar microtonal prog bands or artists.

Edited by Friday13th - April 02 2019 at 14:06
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2019 at 16:23
I don't know if it constitutes prog, but experimental black metal artist Jute Gyte can be quite microtonal. It's pretty sick.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friday13th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2019 at 18:37
I've heard Jute Gyte! Yeah, pretty good. Idk about prog but definitely some experimental black metal.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2019 at 19:33
obviously you heard of this:

Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friday13th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2019 at 19:58
Yeah man, Gizzard is one of the first I heard a couple years back. I like the Krautrock feel to some songs!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2019 at 02:43
Microtonal music is nuts. To the "average ear", it just sounds like out of tune (sharp and flat) notes. I remember seeing a video of an explanation (despite being an educated musician myself), and the concept still blows my mind. It goes to show you how limiting a factor pre-set beliefs...especially about art...can hinder said art!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply