Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

if you could pick only 1 song

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lydianlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: if you could pick only 1 song
    Posted: April 02 2019 at 15:41
1) If you could pick only 1 song for the rest of your life, which one would it be?

2) If you could pick only 1 band for the rest of your life, which one would it be?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2019 at 18:09
1) Fiery Gun Hand
2) Cardiacs

Seriously I have over 1600 albums on CD and I can't tally up the bands that compromises.  One simply does not have to or even want to do that. Wink

But let's think again about the logic of the question.  I you could only pick one song for the rest of your life, wouldn't the band have to be the ones that made the song???
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2019 at 21:36
Beethoven's 9th.
The Martin Barre Band.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2019 at 23:15
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

1) Fiery Gun Hand
2) Cardiacs

Seriously I have over 1600 albums on CD and I can't tally up the bands that compromises.  One simply does not have to or even want to do that. Wink

But let's think again about the logic of the question.  I you could only pick one song for the rest of your life, wouldn't the band have to be the ones that made the song???

logically it's the complete opposite as you would have access to all the bands songs ( I presume)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2019 at 23:19
Tarkus (live version from WBMFTTSTHE)- ELP

Vangelis (as long as I can have access to everything he's been involved with inc Aphrodite's Child , J&V and Socrates)
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2019 at 23:58
2) Tangerine Dream. In part because they’ve been very varied over nearly 50 years and have somewhere over 150 albums - many of them quite good .

1) Ricochet. As it’s an album length piece with many different sounds.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 01:17
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

No.

1) Franz Schubert - String Quartet n. 14 (Der Tod und das Mädchen)
yeah its quite lenghty and contains all that I love in music. Intensity, brains, emotion, beauty light and dark etc... - in bundles
2) its got to be some jazz for sure. Seems I never need breaks or grow tired of: Mal Waldron...

-but I don't trust myself and probably change my mind tomorrow to Can, Magma, Miles, Schostavovich...
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 01:32
1) Transatlantic - The Whirlwind, because it lasts 74 minutes so I won't be repeating a 3 minutes song.
2) I could say Rick Wakeman because has a lot of albums, but all the newage stuff is quite boring. I also need some real drums sometimes, so it can't be Tangerine Dream. A good ratio between number of releases and quality seems to be YES, even if the last album is very poor. I will miss Zeuhl, but I couldn't listen to Magma only for a lifetime...
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 07:25
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I also need some real drums sometimes, so it can't be Tangerine Dream.

Has Green Desert passed you by? And Electronic Meditation which would make a bit of a contrast with the synth albums .
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 07:26
Hi,

NONE!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 08:18
Tough questions:

1) Either - Tchaikovsky, Symphony #6, or Shostakovich, Symphony #5
2) King Crimson
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 08:50
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

The Martin Barre Band.

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 08:51
The Beekeeper's Apprentice

Frank Zappa
fredyair View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredyair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 09:03
Echoes

Pink Floyd
Long live Progresive music!
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 09:04
The Subhuman (from Blue Öyster Cult - On Your Feet Or On Your Knees)

Van der Graaf Generator

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 09:12

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 09:55
Can you imagine how tired you'd get of that song, whatever it is?

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 09:56
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I also need some real drums sometimes, so it can't be Tangerine Dream.

Has Green Desert passed you by? And Electronic Meditation which would make a bit of a contrast with the synth albums .
Sure, Klaus Schulze is a drummer, but having to choose one band only for the rest of the Times a couple of albums in about 200 is not very much. YES have a bit of everything.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 12:04
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

2) Tangerine Dream. In part because they’ve been very varied over nearly 50 years and have somewhere over 150 albums - many of them quite good .

1) Ricochet. As it’s an album length piece with many different sounds.

I like the way you think! That's the plain truth.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 12:46
Originally posted by Braka Braka wrote:

Can you imagine how tired you'd get of that song, whatever it is?

If you're stuck with one song for eternity then memorizing 30000 words seems more of a challenge than hearing a regular tune forever

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>