Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Royal Affair tour(Yes, Asia, Carl Palmer etc.)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Royal Affair tour(Yes, Asia, Carl Palmer etc.)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Royal Affair tour(Yes, Asia, Carl Palmer etc.)
    Posted: April 02 2019 at 20:55
Also featuring John Lodge of the Moody Blues. They are all touring together this summer. 

Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 08:51
I saw this. Looks like a cool show. 

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 09:14
Bumble foot is the new vocalist / guitarist for Asia. 
Didn't see that coming.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 12:33
Carl Palmer's group is the worthy exception here. The others are also rans.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 12:42
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Carl Palmer's group is the worthy exception here. The others are also rans.

Rans? 
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 15:45
^That's correct although I forgot the hyphenation. An also-ran is, in horse racing parlance, a horse that finishes out of the money in a race.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 20:25
I don't know what a rans is or an also-ran. 

Would it be possible for you to substitute it for another word(maybe a synonym) so the original sentence makes sense to me? Thanks.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 03 2019 at 20:27
paisanojac View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paisanojac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2019 at 15:14
"al·so-ran
/ˈôlsōˌran/
noun
noun: also-ran; plural noun: also-rans
  1. a loser in a race or other contest, especially by a large margin.
    "the line between champions and also-rans"
    • informal
      an undistinguished or unsuccessful person or thing.
Origin
late 19th century: originally applied to racehorses that did not finish in the first three."
The definition implies that no one remembers the loser of a contest, race, election, etc. As an example, you might have a number of candidates for a political office or a number of competitors in a race. They are all "running" for office, or running in the race. Everyone remembers the winner, and maybe a close 2nd place finisher, but no one will remember the ones who finished last. They are forgotten, and listed in an informational way as someone who "also ran" in the contest.  Additionally, the "also-ran" comment could imply that Yes/John Lodge/Asia's better Prog days are long behind them and that their current/recent output has little creative or impactful noteworthiness in the Prog world.  I hope that helps.
I'll nonetheless be attending this show 2-3 times and plan to enjoy every minute of it. I previously saw Carl Palmer a couple of times with his ELP Legacy show during Yestival, and enjoyed it quite a bit. His energy and performances are amazing. Looking forward to Yes/Asia/John Lodge. I had never heard of Ron Bumblefoot Thal, and although I've heard of Sons of the Orient, I had not the chance to hear their music.  I think Jay Schellen was in that band.  I was surprisingly able to meet Jay Schellen and Billy Sherwood in the hotel lobby last year while attending the Yes 50th anniversary shows---both really nice and gracious fellows.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2019 at 17:20
Well, I don't know. I think all of them are major draws for the fans of those bands. It's conceivable to me that some people would only be interested in Yes but not the others, Asia but not the others, etc. 
paisanojac View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paisanojac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 10:49
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I think all of them are major draws for the fans of those bands. It's conceivable to me that some people would only be interested in Yes but not the others, Asia but not the others, etc. 

I'll be there primarily because of YES, but I will be quite happy to see/hear the other acts as well.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2019 at 08:14
Hi,

For my tastes, these people have the right to get on the stage and play again. For many of them, it is a validation that they did good work, that is STILL remembered so many years later.

Classical music going way back to Bach, is enjoyed in many a concert by many folks, and to think/say that this is wrong, is not fair to the music itself, or the musician. We don't go around laughing and making fun of the 5th, the 9th or that other composer's 3rd, or some dumb Italian opera or some Mozart fun bits in various operas!

I think these folks deserve ... a huge, THANK YOU for having helped inspire us for so long ... never mind their ability to play ... and the only thing I can remember was Daevid Allen playing on stage just merely days, before he passed away ... and for him, it was not fake, or stupid ... it was what his life was all about! AND, who are we to keep them from doing what they know best?

And how important is that for us, today?

Edited by moshkito - April 22 2019 at 08:18
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2019 at 14:13
I have zero desire to see Asia without Wetton.

Should have made the effort to see them in '12. XXX was a stellar album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2019 at 20:21
Originally posted by paisanojac paisanojac wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I think all of them are major draws for the fans of those bands. It's conceivable to me that some people would only be interested in Yes but not the others, Asia but not the others, etc. 

I'll be there primarily because of YES, but I will be quite happy to see/hear the other acts as well.

That would be the case for me as well but the thing is I have seen Yes about 11 times and don't have much desire to seem them again short of Jon Anderson rejoining. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 24 2019 at 20:21
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2019 at 22:12
Hi,

I really think that if we're going to respect the artists, and their legacy, that we have to support them, and give them the credence they deserve. To not see Asia because John has passed on is a bit on the sad side of things, in many ways, they are honoring him with this show, and we should also applaud a bit ... the guy had an amazing history in "progressive music" that most of us and everyone else, would dream of, when you look at how many folks and bands he helped improve.

All in all, the sad one for me would be Carl Palmer ... however I have not heard any albums of his to be able to say a whole lot, so if he gets up there and does a solo drum version of Tarkus, and other pieces, that would be far out for me ... but I think that many folks will not like it and expect something else, whatever it might be, which will not be good enough, I'm sure. CP is an excellent drummer in my mind, and his accents to help define the music in ELP is fantastic, keeping it away from the high school drumming of almost all "progressive" music these days!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
FredrikCoulter View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredrikCoulter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2019 at 11:12
I saw Carl Palmer a year ago.  My sister bought me tickets for his show after she had seen him in Connecticut.  I enjoyed it a lot, and wouldn't mind seeing it again.

The local tour date is right at the beginning of my vacation window, so I may put off flying out for a day.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2019 at 02:34
The 20 dollar National Concert Week offer is pretty appealing. Definitely going to buy a ticket now :)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2019 at 16:36
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

I have zero desire to see Asia without Wetton.

Should have made the effort to see them in '12. XXX was a stellar album.

I felt very much the same when Howe left.

I saw Asia (the classic line up) when they played in London on their comeback in the 00's. That was great and the venue was packed.
Carl Palmers ELP Legacy were the best thing at The New Day Festival last year although with Hawkwind headlining that probably wasn't difficult.
 Post Reply Post Reply