Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Listen to a new song, and post another song!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 14:45
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

This sounded like the background music in one of the more up to date Mediterranean restaurants and I could imagine it being quite popular. It was well put together and the techno bits towards the end gave it a bit more variety. 7/10.

I found Egisto Macchi a little arduous too but liked the erratic percussion. Perhaps I should post some actual prog rock before anyone gets put off the thread LOL.

Thank you very much for this piece by Eiliff. I didnt know this group. And I like this song. Very much. I'd have preferred if in the ending the singing was returned, but anyway, very good, score 8,5.

And now, one of my fave song by Nick Cave: Oh My Lord.

"Happiness is real only when shared"
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 05:19
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

You both posted at the same time! 8 for this one, it was nice and creepy with a bit of extra power from the monotonous drum and bass lines.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 05:52
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

This video was blocked so I listened to a live version. I just didn’t find the music at all interesting, they played it louder towards the end but it was still just a basic accompaniment to the singing and it was a long 8 minutes. I’ll give it a 5.

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 12:17

jamesbaldwin]

This video was blocked so I listened to a live version. I just didn’t find the music at all interesting, they played it louder towards the end but it was still just a basic accompaniment to the singing and it was a long 8 minutes. I’ll give it a 5.

[/QUOTE]

the song is interesting but it's too much verbose. The beginning is almost irritating in its slowness and repetitiveness. And basically they are only percussive noises. For the first few minutes I would have given a 5. Then luckily the music arrives, it develops in a minimalist but titanic way, and slowly it becomes more and more interesting, only to prolong too much. I would say there are 5 minutes too long. Rating 7.

And now Steve Wynn

2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 22:26

6. It sounds like the Power Pop that derived from Punk in the late 70s.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 16:15

[

6. It sounds like the Power Pop that derived from Punk in the late 70s.

Suggestive but quite monotonous. 5.

Now a mini suite, by Quatermass:

2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 22:48

That was great, I loved the two keyboards, the well arranged real orchestra, funky bass and even the drum solo was fairly interesting. 8.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2019 at 18:01

That was great, I loved the two keyboards, the well arranged real orchestra, funky bass and even the drum solo was fairly interesting. 8.

Suggestive, psychedelic. Too much repetitive the rhythm. Score 6,5.

And now, The Boss, Roulette.

2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2019 at 23:40

I once had a work colleague who went to the US on a holiday following a Springsteen tour, going to each concert. I expect he’s listened to this enough for the message to have brainwashed him so that if anything goes badly wrong he’ll be more likely to kill himself. At least it wasn’t saying go and shoot a load of other people first. Musically the song sounded nothing out of the ordinary but it was sung and performed very well and I can understand its appeal for the fans so will give it 7.

Now some music from 70 years ago.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2019 at 16:26

I once had a work colleague who went to the US on a holiday following a Springsteen tour, going to each concert. I expect he’s listened to this enough for the message to have brainwashed him so that if anything goes badly wrong he’ll be more likely to kill himself. At least it wasn’t saying go and shoot a load of other people first. Musically the song sounded nothing out of the ordinary but it was sung and performed very well and I can understand its appeal for the fans so will give it 7.

Now some music from 70 years ago.

Wow, a real musician. Concrete music. Proto electronic. 
Concrete music and most of electronic music are too much cerebral for me. 
I prefer to feel emotions. I can appreciate that music with my brain but my body 
and my heart remains cold. Score 5,5.

And now Family, a mini-suite

2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2019 at 23:14

And now Family, a mini-suite

I didn’t know that one. They certainly packed a load of parts into that one song while somehow managing to keep it all coherent which was most impressive, especially live. 8.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2019 at 18:18

I didn’t know that one. They certainly packed a load of parts into that one song while somehow managing to keep it all coherent which was most impressive, especially live. 8.

Avantgarde and RIO... interesting mix... rumours and music, with vocals, no harmony but tonal variations... here on PA this group have few reviews but a very high score... Anyway, for me 7,5.

Now an italian group, live. Song about partizans.

2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2019 at 06:19

Very good, quite atmospheric and it sounded like they were probably reminding the audience of the struggles in their recent history. 7.

I have no idea what this is about .

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2019 at 18:05

Very good, quite atmospheric and it sounded like they were probably reminding the audience of the struggles in their recent history. 7.

I have no idea what this is about .

Interesting suite, almost heavy prog, with a great hard-blues riff. 7,5.

And now, Black Widow 

2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2019 at 23:41

And now, Black Widow 

Hmm, a very dull and repetitive basic tune but they make the most of it with different sections and interesting embellishments. Acceptable, 6.

This album sounds like the group were divided over whether to play rock or Eurovision pop. I wouldn’t recommend any of the other tracks, some of which sound disturbingly like ABBA .

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2019 at 09:36

Basically it's a blues jam, with something of psychedelia and heavy rock. 7.

Ok, I remain in Deutschland and offer to you a masterpiece of progressive rock, a sophisticated, virtuosistic song, with literary lyrics!!! 

Big smileLOL

2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2019 at 10:11

Oh that is horrible and even worse this is what most people in Britain in the 1980s thought all music from Germany sounded (and looked) like. 1 .

We need something more serious and these are the guys to do it. They could make anything sound serious - the Rolling Stones, the Stooges, Bob Dylan, even Hot Chocolate and ABBA .

Sentient Ear View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sentient Ear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2019 at 14:41
Alright, I'm a fan of Sisters of Mercy and I haven't heard this one before, so I'm game. 

Alas, it's a 5.5, 6 tops. I'm predisposed to like their sound, and the choice of cover is pretty cool and unexpected. The fact of its existence goes in its favor. However, while I'm not a fan of Parton I'd still prefer her Jolene to this. The Sisters can usually make repetition hypnotic or interesting, but this one falls flat for me. 

Smog - Fruit Bats. (This one's blocked for me on youtube, but maybe it'll work for someone somewhere else): 

Here's a backup if you have the same problem, otherwise please ignore (or, y'know, take your pick): 

Edited by Sentient Ear - May 10 2019 at 14:47
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2019 at 16:19
Originally posted by Sentient Ear Sentient Ear wrote:

Here's a backup if you have the same problem, otherwise please ignore (or, y'know, take your pick): 

Okay, I'll play this game.

Interesting track, and I've not heard this band.  Some nice musicianship, but I'm not sure whether it really floats my boat.  It sounds like the intro to a TV drama.  Would probably work well for an Agatha Christie series box set.  I'll give it 4 out of 10.

I'll go for something completely not prog (as suggested by the OP):

Edited by Chaser - May 10 2019 at 16:25
Songs cast a light on you
Erenan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erenan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2019 at 21:41
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Okay, I'll play this game.

Interesting track, and I've not heard this band.  Some nice musicianship, but I'm not sure whether it really floats my boat.  It sounds like the intro to a TV drama.  Would probably work well for an Agatha Christie series box set.  I'll give it 4 out of 10.

I'll go for something completely not prog (as suggested by the OP):

I will rate the New Fast Automatic Daffodils song as 7/10. I will add that my wife listened as well and said she liked it maybe like an 8/10. So I guess 7.5/10?

Here's a favorite metal song that I like from a fairly obscure Greek band:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>