Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - favourite pieces in Spock's beard - into the great
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

favourite pieces in Spock's beard - into the great

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: favourite pieces in Spock's beard - into the great
    Posted: January 06 2024 at 17:41
Favorite Pieces of Spock's Beard...

I just got a hilarious visual of corn, bread crumbs and bits of meat lodged in Spock's beard.

Edited by The Dark Elf - January 06 2024 at 17:42
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 15:15
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

That John Boegehold can sure write a tune and Jimmy's vocals rule.

Many of the Boegehold songs are among my favorites from the post-Morse records. 
I’ve noticed this fact as well !! Who is this guy ?   

Also part of Pattern Seeking Animals, along with Ted Leonard, Jimmy Keegan and Dave Meros. Check them out if you haven't already.

I've tried them on three or four separate occasions and they just don't click with me. It probably doesn't help that I don't care for Ted Leonard but I think it comes down to the fact that those things I really like about Boegehold's compositions in SB are missing in Pattern... I get it that they are going for something different but it just doesn't work for me. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 06:08

Also part of Pattern Seeking Animals, along with Ted Leonard, Jimmy Keegan and Dave Meros. Check them out if you haven't already.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2024 at 22:58
Yeah. But it's still a quite acrobatic and risky move! I was impressed. In 2008 they had the tools to precisely tune down their instruments and transpose all the digital keyboards so that they would play in the comfortable key and still have the audio be the same as the original or lower.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2024 at 22:51
Perhaps they changed it to an easier key to play in, and Nick could handle it (considering he can sing higher than Neal).
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2024 at 22:25
Sorry for posting in a semi-related thread but it seems like this is the only Spock's Beard Appreciation topic on this forum that hasn't been killed off by the almighty padlock yet.

I've noticed the 2008 live version of Crack the Big Sky (Nick on lead vox) is in a a semitone higher key than the 1999 studio version (Neal on lead vox)! That's like 9 years. Very rarely do you see bands raise the key of a song for the live performances after such a time. Usually it's the other way around.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 08:24

LOL I'd never heard of him but apparently he's been involved with SB, in various ways, since almost the beginning.

Edited by Jeffro - May 20 2019 at 08:24
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 02:55
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

What is the ?????????????????????????????????

A Neal Morse album?
Wink
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 23:50
What is the ?????????????????????????????????
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 16:11

Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 09:35

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 09:01
Bennett Built A Time Machine is my favorite SB track which is a little weird as I am a complete and total Neal Morse freak. What a song!!! That John Boegehold can sure write a tune and Jimmy's vocals rule.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 04:35

What was so bad about Jimmy Keegan ??
SB music is full of great, life affirming moments. I listen to them a lot to counter-balance the darkness in my life ha ha.

Yeah, beware of darkness. Wink

Nothing was bad about Jimmy. He left the band for "personal reasons." 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 04:34
What was so bad about Jimmy Keegan ??
SB music is full of great, life affirming moments. I listen to them a lot to counter-balance the darkness in my life ha ha.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 04:22
He has full time commitments with BBT. I think he's just filling in on the drums with SB until they find a more permanent replacement.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 04:16
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Good to have Nick back.

Yeah but I think he's only back to drum. I don't think he's involved in any of the song writing. Don't get me wrong, I'll take it but I'd like to see him back as a more inclusive member of the band, like he was before he left.  
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2019 at 23:42
The Kindness Of Strangers is mine although I like the Dreamless Sleep one as well. Noise Floor is okay. Good to have Nick back.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2019 at 14:02
My favorite Spock's Beard LP-V.....and perhaps the best song on it....btw....
the song is called 'The Great Nothing'.

and no Groucho jokes either...
Wink

Edited by dr wu23 - April 09 2019 at 14:03
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Lydianlover View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lydianlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2019 at 13:29
Here are my favourite tracks in "into the great nothing".

1:50 - 7:09

And the most beautiful part is: 7:09 - 7:53

9:26 - 11:50

I wish Spock's beard just kept making songs with these beautiful moments instead of putting in all that useless filler. 

There was a sequence that was just broken by all that useless filler in my opinion. 
 Post Reply Post Reply