Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite prog album, Least favorite song.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 13:32
What is wrong with more fool of me? I think it suits album perfectly but does not serve as an individual.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 13:42
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

More fool me is the worst Genesis song until the horrible..me amd sarah jane....

Me and Sarah Jane is fine, I'm surprised you don't complain about Whodunnit, that i would understand. 

Whodunnit is ghastly, but not in the same class as the horrible songs just mentioned....

it's worse than both (More Fool Me and Me & Sarah Jane). 

If there is a Genesis song that messes the flow of the album is Your Own Special Way (on Wind and Wuthering). A Rutherford song. I often skip it when I listen to W &W. 

Edited by Cristi - May 21 2019 at 13:43
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 23:56
Aye. Not fond of that track either. But more fool me does not fit in with the celebration of british culture that is the concept. The love aspect is covered by cinema show. Mire fool me is garbage...
GingerFox View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GingerFox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 00:04

Aye. Not fond of that track either. But more fool me does not fit in with the celebration of british culture that is the concept. The love aspect is covered by cinema show. Mire fool me is garbage...

Yep. Definitely out of place.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 00:31
Originally posted by GingerFox GingerFox wrote:

My favorite prog album is Selling England by the Pound, and my least favorite track is More Fool Me. Material by Phil Collins, which was more of a pop-guy. 

I've said many times that I don't mind this track at all although it doesn't really fit.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 00:32

Aye. Why the fook did they not extend firth of fifth out by another ten minutes...

and please then get rid of Epping Forest Wink
GingerFox View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GingerFox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 00:43
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Aye. Why the fook did they not extend firth of fifth out by another ten minutes...

and please then get rid of Epping Forest Wink

Wut? Epping Forest is great!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 12:07
Aye. Epping Forest is in my top ten Genesis tracks....it fits the album superbly and has ridiculously good lyrics...amongst my top ten lyrical tracks of all time...sometimes you wonder why people like more fool me better than the Epping Forest..not prog fans in my view....
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 12:23
Genesis became really interesting after Gabriel and Hackett departure.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 13:43
Aye I suppose they did to fans of barry manilow and celine dion etc.....
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 23:55

Aye. Epping Forest is in my top ten Genesis tracks....it fits the album superbly and has ridiculously good lyrics...amongst my top ten lyrical tracks of all time...sometimes you wonder why people like more fool me better than the Epping Forest..not prog fans in my view....

so basically a bad prog song always trumps a good pop song.

More Fool Me is actually just a very strong song (not everything has to be prog). I can't stand most Phil Collins eighties drivel but that was still a long way off.

GingerFox View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GingerFox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 01:50

More Fool Me is actually just a very strong song (not everything has to be prog). I can't stand most Phil Collins eighties drivel but that was still a long way off.

Epping Forest is one of their most complex tracks, while More Fool Me is built up with the standard pop-structure. Really predictable. Not an awful song of course, but Epping Forest is in a whole other league. 
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 06:44
I suppose Genesis were concerned that ELP's propensity for absolute sh*te tracks alongside prog classics was all alone, so they added mire fool me for solidarity with fellow proggers....its the only argument that fits such a strange event...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 00:10

Epping Forest is one of their most complex tracks, while More Fool Me is built up with the standard pop-structure. Really predictable. Not an awful song of course, but Epping Forest is in a whole other league. 

Clearly More Fool Me is not a prog song and I wasn't claiming it to be so. It's an honest little song that was worth a place on the album and added a bit of variety and contrast. Epping Forest is good for about 2 minutes then gets tiresome very quickly but then that is just my opinion.

GingerFox View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GingerFox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 00:17

Clearly More Fool Me is not a prog song and I wasn't claiming it to be so. It's an honest little song that was worth a place on the album and added a bit of variety and contrast. Epping Forest is good for about 2 minutes then gets tiresome very quickly but then that is just my opinion.

I respect your opinion! Complex tracks just give me more by paying attention to the details. 
Where my country at?
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 11:50
My favorite album is Brave by Marillion, and my least favorite song on that album is "Paper Lies."
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 13:25
Album: Yes - 90125

Least favorite song: "City of Love" 

(It fits in well with the album's "sound world", but lyrically, it's a little too...street. Of course, most of the album was put together before Jon Anderson was added at the eleventh hour.)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 14:14
Originally posted by Magog2112 Magog2112 wrote:

My favorite album is Brave by Marillion, and my least favorite song on that album is "Paper Lies."

Made Again for me, not bad, but I guess it works as a conclusion. 

Edited by Cristi - February 24 2024 at 03:52
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 14:42
Meddle - Seamus.

Meddle has been my favourite album since I first heard it back in 1972 and was my gateway into prog (and the Floyd). I think the weakest two tracks are San Tropez and Seamus, and maybe 'Biding My Time' would have fitted better (theme wise) had it not been released earlier in the year on Relics.

Edited by Progishness - July 26 2023 at 13:28
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 15:41
Through Silver in Blood, Neurosis

and excluding the two dark ambient segues, then Eye
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>