Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite prog album, Least favorite song.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2019 at 08:08
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Well it's all relative.

I'd say Close To the Edge and Siberian Khatru, which is a great song but overshadowed by two of the greatest prog songs ever recorded.

"Siberian Khatru" is actually my favorite song from CttE

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2019 at 08:30
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Well it's all relative.

I'd say Close To the Edge and Siberian Khatru, which is a great song but overshadowed by two of the greatest prog songs ever recorded.

Same for me---but could also pick Selling England and More Fool MeSmile

Or SEBTP, and TBOEF.....

I know that some call TBOEF "The Battle of Effing Forest", but I really like that song; it is the 2nd best on the album (after "Firth of Fifth")

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2019 at 08:47
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

My favorite prog albums don't have weak material! ;)
Doesn't necessary mean the song is weak. It could just be a song you don't like as much as the rest of the album. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2019 at 11:08
That's a tough question since I'm not sure what my single favorite prog album is.......there are a handful I like equally.
For the sake of the thread...I'll go with ITCOTCK by KC, and say Moonchild is my 'least favorite'.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2019 at 11:54
Siberian Khatru / Close to the Edge
More Fool Me / Selling England by the Pound
Good shouts...
But khatru is still v.good. more fool me is a candidate for the worst track by a major prog band before 1977...
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2019 at 12:43
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

That's a tough question since I'm not sure what my single favorite prog album is.......there are a handful I like equally.
For the sake of the thread...I'll go with ITCOTCK by KC, and say Moonchild is my 'least favorite'.

"Moonchild" is most definitely my favorite from ITCOTCK. actually Certif1ed and I had very similar opinions about "Moonchild"; mine can be read here:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97438

Edited by BaldJean - April 09 2019 at 12:44

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2019 at 13:57
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

"Moonchild" is most definitely my favorite from ITCOTCK. actually Certif1ed and I had very similar opinions about "Moonchild"; mine can be read here:

I'm a Crimson fan so there aren't many tracks by them I don't like...I like Moonchild...but it just happens to be my 'least favorite' on an album full of great material. That was the OP's intent...I believe.
Smile

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2019 at 14:12
It's too hard to pick a favorite album, I usually try to avoid doing that because I love too many albums and it would be too hard to pick an all time favorite.  I think it is easier to pick a favorite from a specific artist, and since today is what it is, I pick Led Zeppelin III is my favorite album from the band and the least favorite song from that is "Hats Off to (Roy) Harper".

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2019 at 17:07
An album I love where I always skip the opening track came to mind: the raspy rocker "Crying Wolf" on Peter Hammill's Over...  Not a favorite of course but a decent enough tune on its own premises I guess. Its just that the rest of the album stays beautifully within the melancholic/sappy/depressive mood I want to be in whenever I feel like listening to it.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2019 at 19:53
RED!! Providence (but it wails towards the end).
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2019 at 23:47

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Brain Salad Surgery

do I need to say?!
Is it Karn Evil 9?

yep just way too long and too much flashy ego based playing.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 09:51
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Leave It Open" on Kate Bush's Dreaming is a remarkably bad song on such a good album.
How remarkably wrong you are about that one song when you are right about the rest

Tongue
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 08:17
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

What is your Favorite prog album & your least favorite song from that album? 
For me the album would be Moving Pictures by Rush and my least favorite song is Witch Hunt. 

Witch Hunt is awesome. It does lack Rush's usual level of virtuosity and compositional depth, but it is probably Rush's most successful evocation of sheer mood.

I go with Vital Signs or maybe the more mainstream sounding and oft overplayed Limelight.
Erenan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erenan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 22:44
Favorite prog album is Red and least favorite song is One More Red Nightmare
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 17:43
Fave prog album is Pawn Hearts.  No way I could pick 1 of those 3 songs as least favorite though...they're all perfect!
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 18:04
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Fave prog album is Pawn Hearts.  No way I could pick 1 of those 3 songs as least favorite though...they're all perfect!

ClapBig smileLOL
"Happiness is real only when shared"
RM_Lidster View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RM_Lidster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2019 at 11:43
Hemispheres - The Trees
Selling England By The Pound - I Know What I Like

Neither are terrible, just songs I tend to skip on otherwise brilliant albums.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2019 at 14:53
Awwwww, The Trees is easily as brilliant as the other cuts on Hemispheres. Instrumentally, compositionally, vocally, lyrically... it's got it all in spades.
RM_Lidster View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RM_Lidster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2019 at 12:19
I knew that'd be controversial Wink I loved it when I first heard it, but I've found myself going off the catchier Rush songs after I've listened to them a lot. I agree it's well-written though and I actually think he makes a good point with the lyrics.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2019 at 12:55
My favourite prog album is WAY too hard to pin down, but one that recurs on any Top 10 I ever put together is David Cousins' Two Weeks Last Summer.  I adore the first side in particular, and the second side until it comes to the end, I just think, "Going Home," really doesn't belong, although I do like the sentiment, I just feel as though it should have been on another record.  The rest of it is so much more delicate.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>