Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peter Hammill's Voice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which best descibes how you feel about Peter Hammill's voice?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
41 [53.25%]
18 [23.38%]
3 [3.90%]
8 [10.39%]
7 [9.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 13:14
Love it...he's always been my favorite prog vocalist.  From guttural demonic to angelic falsetto (often in the same song) he can do it all Heart
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 16:11
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Love it...he's always been my favorite prog vocalist.  From guttural demonic to angelic falsetto (often in the same song) he can do it all  // < ="https://ajax.cloudflare.com/cdn-cgi/s/04b3eb47/cloudflare-static/mirage2.min.js" ="text/"> Heart
Oh yeah
"Happiness is real only when shared"
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 08:12
I am in the dislike it category...although from time to time he reminds me of Rob Halford, who I am a big fan of so there are times when I do like his voice.
charles_ryder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charles_ryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 08:36
I love Peter's voice. Mayby not his tembre, but his intonation, his passion etc.

Edited by charles_ryder - May 21 2019 at 08:37
om mani padme hum
Foxprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 01:51
Best vocalist of all time in my opinion.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 07:59
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Intensity / Dramatic Expression (sometimes over the top, I admit) !

... and being a substantial part of the  identity of VDGG, make him one of my most beloved singers in rock (not mentioning the composer, but that's not the point here and now)

I question the "over the top" ... thing ... I can hear PH do his songs, specially in the early days, and I never felt that he was screaming because he just wanted to tell you he could scream ... these were very forceful parts of the song, and added to the strength of the material and how you reacted to it.

This is quite different in a lot of rock music when some folks think that another scream is really cool ... I can tell you that Roger's famous scream is not meaningless, specially at the time when it was done ... but, sadly, it has been grossly and badly interpreted as just another bad boy fighting the establishment, when it is merely looking for some freedom that otherwise the person does not have. Even Roger, for the most part, did not want to stage that piece for a long time because he was tired of it meaning nothing to no one, except just another song on the radio that no one bothers to wonder what it is all about!

PH is the same, for me ... we just think he is screaming because he has nothing better to do, and we did not bother to find that he is quite an incredible actor when it comes to feeling and expressing his words ... and we even fail to realize HOW MUCH that attitude fuels the definition of his music! Most rock'n'roll and rock music, is wayyyyyyyyyy too riff oriented to do that ... and in this case, his voice is the "riff" that defines the music in it ,,, and an incredible amount of credit goes to Hugh Banton, David Jackson and others, for their help in defining that ... and making it so special to the music, and to our lives ... 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 17:04
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Intensity / Dramatic Expression (sometimes over the top, I admit) !

... and being a substantial part of the  identity of VDGG, make him one of my most beloved singers in rock (not mentioning the composer, but that's not the point here and now)

I question the "over the top" ... thing ... I can hear PH do his songs, specially in the early days, and I never felt that he was screaming because he just wanted to tell you he could scream ... these were very forceful parts of the song, and added to the strength of the material and how you reacted to it.

This is quite different in a lot of rock music when some folks think that another scream is really cool ... I can tell you that Roger's famous scream is not meaningless, specially at the time when it was done ... but, sadly, it has been grossly and badly interpreted as just another bad boy fighting the establishment, when it is merely looking for some freedom that otherwise the person does not have. Even Roger, for the most part, did not want to stage that piece for a long time because he was tired of it meaning nothing to no one, except just another song on the radio that no one bothers to wonder what it is all about!

PH is the same, for me ... we just think he is screaming because he has nothing better to do, and we did not bother to find that he is quite an incredible actor when it comes to feeling and expressing his words ... and we even fail to realize HOW MUCH that attitude fuels the definition of his music! Most rock'n'roll and rock music, is wayyyyyyyyyy too riff oriented to do that ... and in this case, his voice is the "riff" that defines the music in it ,,, and an incredible amount of credit goes to Hugh Banton, David Jackson and others, for their help in defining that ... and making it so special to the music, and to our lives ... 

I don't know if you have heard Devin Townsend, but he comes to mind with this post of yours. I usually dislike Growling and Grunting and other sorts of extreme singing in (mostly) metal, there are some songs with such singing that I have come to enjoy... despite the extreme singing. However, Devin Townsend is perhaps the only metal artist who has actually made me enjoy such singing (in some of the songs), and I would guess it is just because of this same thing... he does it at the right time, for a reason, and it really fits the music. Actually, in a way I can think of him as the new Peter Hamill because of his versatility with vocals.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 08:00
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I am in the dislike it category...although from time to time he reminds me of Rob Halford, who I am a big fan of so there are times when I do like his voice.
He does evoke Halford at times but more so Halford's clean, melodic wailing on songs like Here Come The Tears which is NOT my favourite side of Halford.  It's a very British kind of highly forward voice placement which somehow turns me off.  Yorke has it and so does the Everything Everything guy.  He is the worst in that regard, by far.  Hammill is so good technically he helps me overlook this aspect to a large extent.
AliceBaldieDaughter View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliceBaldieDaughter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2019 at 07:09
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

He does evoke Halford at times but more so Halford's clean, melodic wailing on songs like Here Come The Tears which is NOT my favourite side of Halford.  It's a very British kind of highly forward voice placement which somehow turns me off.  Yorke has it and so does the Everything Everything guy.  He is the worst in that regard, by far.  Hammill is so good technically he helps me overlook this aspect to a large extent.

Ahem. It is Halford that evokes Hammill at times, not the other way round. Halford is actually a big fan of Hammill; he was at the reunion concert of VdGG in 2005.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2019 at 07:59
Originally posted by AliceBaldieDaughter AliceBaldieDaughter wrote:

Ahem. It is Halford that evokes Hammill at times, not the other way round. Halford is actually a big fan of Hammill; he was at the reunion concert of VdGG in 2005.

Ahem I know who came first, thank you very much. But I heard Harford first so for me Hammill evokes Harford. There's nothing you can do about it.
AliceBaldieDaughter View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliceBaldieDaughter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2019 at 09:09

Originally posted by AliceBaldieDaughter AliceBaldieDaughter wrote:

Ahem I know who came first, thank you very much. But I heard Harford first so for me Hammill evokes Harford. There's nothing you can do about it.

Lol. "In Harford, Hereford and Hampshire hurricanes hardly happen".
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2019 at 23:06
I've tried multiple times, but I just can't seem to appreciate his voice, nor the music of VDGG.

I'll keep trying, though.  There have been albums/bands/sounds that I disliked (or even loathed) for a long time that I now love.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123