Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wish You Were Here vs SEBTP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Wish You Were Here vs SEBTP?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
33 [46.48%]
38 [53.52%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 23:26
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Had to think a bit about this one.  After all, WYWH indeed doesn't have Epping or More Fool Me.  But it also doesn't have Dancing-Firth-Cinema Show.  Just that trio is so winsome I had to vote for SEBTP.

But WYWH has Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

Again, as I mentioned in the Genesis vs Floyd poll, I find the lyrical context of Shine On more interesting than the music itself.  It's also become increasingly hard to shake off the feeling that Gilmour is overrated as a guitarist.  Gary Moore played the blues better than him as did the Allman Brothers.  Meanwhile, Hackett had boldly stepped out of the blues context and laid the ground for the neo classical direction that guitar in rock would take a few years down the line.  Don't get me wrong, it's not that I think Shine On is boring or anything, I just find those three Genesis tracks far more interesting.

That's the thing about tastes. For me Shine On is the best song ever, and Gilmour's playing is just one of a kind. Yeah, there may be many imitators, and it may be simple in theory, but no one can actually achieve his sound, there's just something special for me.

Eh, first of all, as for nobody being able to get his sound, I bet if I played you some Gilmour and SRV clips blind, you would find it hard to tell the difference. Which brings me to the next point. It's not so much that Gilmour has a zillion imitators, which he does, but he was simply following a very old blues tradition and one that players like BB King or Robert Johnson had already done a lot to popularise. Gary Moore was not an imitator but a contemporary of Gilmour and could hold his own on stage with a blues master like BB King. Allman Brothers predate classic Floyd and you can find similar chord progressions to Shine On on a track called Loan Me A Dime on Boz Scaggs' eponymous album released in 1969 where Duane Allman played guitar. No, Gilmour didn't copy him but the point is those progressions are old as the hills. Again, Gilmour is great undeniably but his playing on this track is so inside the box I have never understood the mythical proportions to which it has been elevated. I can certainly get behind some Echoes hype because THAT to me is the essence of Gilmour as well as Floyd. Shine On to me is a nice and heartfelt but stately and stodgy track.

OK, perhaps there's guitar players that I don't know who have that sound. But out of the ones I do know, none can compare to Gilmour. And it's not a matter of being innavative, or doing this or that chord progression (I'm not into music theory, so I couldn't really tell you, or understand you about it). But as much as Gilmour is compared to those great bluesmen, it just doesn't sound the same to me, and I don't really care much about them (for what little I have heard of the classic blues guys, I just can't help but prefer the newer rockier versions of blues, perhaps even the british ones, a little harder sounding and all). So yeah, surely technically there are many who can do it as good, or better, than Gilmour, either at trying to play his songs, copy him, or just trying to do their own thing parallel to Gilmour himself. Still, there is that "something" on his sound that just appeals to me more than the other guys... or at least different. Just like this Shine On song, I remember about Transatlantic's cover version of it, and in the liner notes Portnoy (I think) would say that those first guitar notes played by Stolt, it just sounds like Gilmour was there playing them himself... and then I listen to it, and I just can't help to think, not way, it just is not the same. And I guess that "Something" is what makes Gilmour hold his own in guitar polls even here, even against Fripp, Howe, Hackett, Gilmour will come first, or very close... or at least he has done so many times... but of course things change over time and it may not be the same if those polls were done again now. Still, even here he is very well loved, despite not being as technical as any of those others we love around here.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 09:36

Had to think a bit about this one.  After all, WYWH indeed doesn't have Epping or More Fool Me.  But it also doesn't have Dancing-Firth-Cinema Show.  Just that trio is so winsome I had to vote for SEBTP.

Again, as I mentioned in the Genesis vs Floyd poll, I find the lyrical context of Shine On more interesting than the music itself.  It's also become increasingly hard to shake off the feeling that Gilmour is overrated as a guitarist.  Gary Moore played the blues better than him as did the Allman Brothers.  Meanwhile, Hackett had boldly stepped out of the blues context and laid the ground for the neo classical direction that guitar in rock would take a few years down the line.  Don't get me wrong, it's not that I think Shine On is boring or anything, I just find those three Genesis tracks far more interesting.

That's the thing about tastes. For me Shine On is the best song ever, and Gilmour's playing is just one of a kind. Yeah, there may be many imitators, and it may be simple in theory, but no one can actually achieve his sound, there's just something special for me.

Eh, first of all, as for nobody being able to get his sound, I bet if I played you some Gilmour and SRV clips blind, you would find it hard to tell the difference. Which brings me to the next point. It's not so much that Gilmour has a zillion imitators, which he does, but he was simply following a very old blues tradition and one that players like BB King or Robert Johnson had already done a lot to popularise. Gary Moore was not an imitator but a contemporary of Gilmour and could hold his own on stage with a blues master like BB King. Allman Brothers predate classic Floyd and you can find similar chord progressions to Shine On on a track called Loan Me A Dime on Boz Scaggs' eponymous album released in 1969 where Duane Allman played guitar. No, Gilmour didn't copy him but the point is those progressions are old as the hills. Again, Gilmour is great undeniably but his playing on this track is so inside the box I have never understood the mythical proportions to which it has been elevated. I can certainly get behind some Echoes hype because THAT to me is the essence of Gilmour as well as Floyd. Shine On to me is a nice and heartfelt but stately and stodgy track.

OK, perhaps there's guitar players that I don't know who have that sound. But out of the ones I do know, none can compare to Gilmour. And it's not a matter of being innavative, or doing this or that chord progression (I'm not into music theory, so I couldn't really tell you, or understand you about it). But as much as Gilmour is compared to those great bluesmen, it just doesn't sound the same to me, and I don't really care much about them (for what little I have heard of the classic blues guys, I just can't help but prefer the newer rockier versions of blues, perhaps even the british ones, a little harder sounding and all). So yeah, surely technically there are many who can do it as good, or better, than Gilmour, either at trying to play his songs, copy him, or just trying to do their own thing parallel to Gilmour himself. Still, there is that "something" on his sound that just appeals to me more than the other guys... or at least different. Just like this Shine On song, I remember about Transatlantic's cover version of it, and in the liner notes Portnoy (I think) would say that those first guitar notes played by Stolt, it just sounds like Gilmour was there playing them himself... and then I listen to it, and I just can't help to think, not way, it just is not the same. And I guess that "Something" is what makes Gilmour hold his own in guitar polls even here, even against Fripp, Howe, Hackett, Gilmour will come first, or very close... or at least he has done so many times... but of course things change over time and it may not be the same if those polls were done again now. Still, even here he is very well loved, despite not being as technical as any of those others we love around here.

Gary Moore does have a Gilmour-esque sound in this performance, especially the portion from 8:06 to about 8:40.  The entire 'duel' is fabulous.  

I'd really like to see, by the way, in which polls Gilmour has come first against Hackett or Fripp, especially those two (I can believe this crowd choosing him over Petrucci though I wouldn't). I don't remember that happening in a long time.  Again, the problem is Gilmour is a blues rock guitarist in a psychedelic/prog rock band.  So obviously most of his prog rock peers don't play like him (and he can't sweep pick or tap like Hackett either, for that matter).  The ones who are most comparable to him in prog rock are Martin Barre and Ian Anderson but they take after the more rocking, vigorous side of the blues.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 13:57
SEBTP by a wide margin.  Not that I don't like WYWH, but I find I rarely listen to it while SEBTP gets played regularly Wink
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 19:08
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

SEBTP by a wide margin.  Not that I don't like WYWH, but I find I rarely listen to it while SEBTP gets played regularly Wink

Same here and that's true for most of Floyd in my case.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 21:17

Gary Moore does have a Gilmour-esque sound in this performance, especially the portion from 8:06 to about 8:40.  The entire 'duel' is fabulous.  

I'd really like to see, by the way, in which polls Gilmour has come first against Hackett or Fripp, especially those two (I can believe this crowd choosing him over Petrucci though I wouldn't). I don't remember that happening in a long time.  Again, the problem is Gilmour is a blues rock guitarist in a psychedelic/prog rock band.  So obviously most of his prog rock peers don't play like him (and he can't sweep pick or tap like Hackett either, for that matter).  The ones who are most comparable to him in prog rock are Martin Barre and Ian Anderson but they take after the more rocking, vigorous side of the blues.

Very nice song, and in some parts I guess he can get near what I mean about Gilmour, though not really after min 8... earlier on as far as I'm concerned, but still he's missing that something... I guess it's that chord bending thing, no one bends the chords like Gilmour. And about him winning the polls, well, I said he would win them OR come very close. I do think I remember him winning at some of those polls, but I checked and didn't find any of those, still, the ones I found he was very close or tied with Fripp himself on spot one, and over both Howe and Hackett. Perhaps if the polls were done between only Gilmour and any of those others it might not work so well for him, though. About the prog guitar players, the one I think is most comparable to Gilmour would be Andy Latimer.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 10:08

Very nice song, and in some parts I guess he can get near what I mean about Gilmour, though not really after min 8... earlier on as far as I'm concerned, but still he's missing that something... I guess it's that chord bending thing, no one bends the chords like Gilmour. And about him winning the polls, well, I said he would win them OR come very close. I do think I remember him winning at some of those polls, but I checked and didn't find any of those, still, the ones I found he was very close or tied with Fripp himself on spot one, and over both Howe and Hackett. Perhaps if the polls were done between only Gilmour and any of those others it might not work so well for him, though. About the prog guitar players, the one I think is most comparable to Gilmour would be Andy Latimer.

OK now you are getting more specific.  Bends.  OK, Gary Moore certainly had great bends as would pretty much any worthy bluesman.  He just wasn't using it so much in that duel because The King was playing softly and with not much gain.  But he does it on Still Got The Blues, more so in the coda. 

Yes, about the polls, I meant that I can't see Gilmour ever beating Fripp or Hackett in a straight fight kind of poll on here.  Way too many Genesis and KC fans for that to happen.  On no other forum would WYWH be trailing SEBTP.  Well, no other except maybe ProgEars which I don't visit anyway.

Edited by rogerthat - April 18 2019 at 10:13
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 21:32

OK now you are getting more specific.  Bends.  OK, Gary Moore certainly had great bends as would pretty much any worthy bluesman.  He just wasn't using it so much in that duel because The King was playing softly and with not much gain.  But he does it on Still Got The Blues, more so in the coda. 

Yes, about the polls, I meant that I can't see Gilmour ever beating Fripp or Hackett in a straight fight kind of poll on here.  Way too many Genesis and KC fans for that to happen.  On no other forum would WYWH be trailing SEBTP.  Well, no other except maybe ProgEars which I don't visit anyway.

Oh yeah, the one song I already knew from Gary Moore. Yeah, it's a nice one, but not among my very favourite songs... not by a long shot. I guess another thing I like from Gilmour is that he uses some of these blues techniques, but they are not really blues songs. Even though I do like some blues, it's not really my favourite genre. I much prefer rock (specially prog, obviously).
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 22:33

Oh yeah, the one song I already knew from Gary Moore. Yeah, it's a nice one, but not among my very favourite songs... not by a long shot. I guess another thing I like from Gilmour is that he uses some of these blues techniques, but they are not really blues songs. Even though I do like some blues, it's not really my favourite genre. I much prefer rock (specially prog, obviously).

This I agree with but this was kind of my point to begin with.  Gilmour is great, one of the best at composing solos and he plays them well but not mindbogglingly so.  This goes for Floyd as a band as well.  My problem with Shine On is even as a composition, the solo doesn't appeal that much to me, at least not in comparison to Firth.  I don't really hear Gilmour doing unattainable things as a player.  On similar lines to what you said, I don't like AC DC anywhere near as much as Floyd but I do find Angus Young's playing on the AC DC solos far more expressive.  For starters, he has a magnificent vibrato.
tailings View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tailings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2019 at 14:29
Poll closed but nonetheless, _Wish You Were Here_

But then, virtually anything PF > anything Genesis.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2019 at 21:01

This I agree with but this was kind of my point to begin with.  Gilmour is great, one of the best at composing solos and he plays them well but not mindbogglingly so.  This goes for Floyd as a band as well.  My problem with Shine On is even as a composition, the solo doesn't appeal that much to me, at least not in comparison to Firth.  I don't really hear Gilmour doing unattainable things as a player.  On similar lines to what you said, I don't like AC DC anywhere near as much as Floyd but I do find Angus Young's playing on the AC DC solos far more expressive.  For starters, he has a magnificent vibrato.

Now, I hardly know his music, but I think some of those great guitar parts on the Remember that Night DVD from Gilmour are actually played by Phil Manzanera. Perhaps he's one I should check out too.
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2019 at 12:22
Wish You Were Here. I could never really get into Genesis.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123