Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What band are you in to now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2019 at 22:52
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

For a joke, I am usually listening to things that PA rarely mentions ... yesterday it was the Sadistic Mika Band. And then some of the solo albums by Simon House ... it's just more interesting to me to hear something and not have to be influenced or twisted by someone else's opinion.

Other people’s opinions can be very damaging. I had believed those telling me the quality of Tangerine Dream’s albums declined steadily until becoming worthless at some point in the late 1980s and was trying to work out exactly when that was. Having bought a cheap 10 CD compilation a couple of months ago out of curiosity to see just how bad they were in the 1990s though I discovered they started to become interesting to me again around 1997 and have gone on to find many worthwhile albums from the the last 20 years. Maybe people will say they’re no longer “progressive electronic” but I happen to like drum machines, loops, techno, remixes and ambient and they fit in more with my “non-prog” collection. So what I am into now is this later Tangerine Dream.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 10:02
I've been listening to a lot of Beatles lately. From early Beatlemania stuff like "Meet the Beatles" and "A Hard Day's Night" - soundtrack, to Sgt Pepper and The White Album. The other day I listened to the "Let It Be" album all the way through, very underrated in their catalogue imo. So yeah the Beatlemaniac in me has been coming out big time as of late lol.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 12:23
^ the great thing about LiB is the relaxed, under-produced garage sound they got. 

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 12:40
Neal Morse, I can't get enough of his music.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 13:28
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ the great thing about LiB is the relaxed, under-produced garage sound they got. 

Yes, I noticed that. And also the songs are just really good, the obvious ones like the title track, Long and Winding Road, Across the Universe, Get Back.. but also stuff like One After 909, Dig a Pony, For You Blue, Two of Us. It's just a really good album to my ears. But then so much of their stuff is that it kind of gets lost in the shuffle I think.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 14:08
As I made that transitional albums poll I ended up spinning all those Miles Davis-records that sort of makes a bridge from his second great quartet to the electric period. Namely Miles in the Sky, Filles De Kilimanjaro + the later released Water Babies and other relevant material such as: Circle in the Round, Water in the Pond, Teo's Bag, Side Car, Splash... from different collections I own.

Other than that i've been obsessing with bellydance music from the 1970's. Some of its just crazy awesome. If you like prog for its rhytmic complexities, virtuosity and stuff... or Secret Chiefs 3 there's really no reason this couldn't/shouldn't similarily blow your mind

Edited by Saperlipopette! - April 14 2019 at 14:11
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 16:08
Klaus Doldinger's Passport
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 16:24
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Yes, I noticed that. And also the songs are just really good, the obvious ones like the title track, Long and Winding Road, Across the Universe, Get Back.. but also stuff like One After 909, Dig a Pony, For You Blue, Two of Us. It's just a really good album to my ears. But then so much of their stuff is that it kind of gets lost in the shuffle I think.
Oh the songs are terrific.  Have you seen the rooftop concert from '69 ?  

[/QUOTE]
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 16:53
PFM and De Andrè. 

Next month I'll see PFM in concert singing De Andre's songs.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 17:45

Oh the songs are terrific.  Have you seen the rooftop concert from '69 ?  

No. I tried to watch it on YouTube but says it's blocked on copyright grounds. The Beatles people are almost like the Harry Potter people lol. Oh well, guess I can't really blame them.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 21:02
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Right on!Thumbs Up
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 07:57
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

Other people’s opinions can be very damaging. I had believed those telling me the quality of Tangerine Dream’s albums declined steadily until becoming worthless at some point in the late 1980s and was trying to work out exactly when that was.

I'm one of those folks that likes to EXPERIENCE the music on his own ... opinions don't really matter and ideas neither. And, I guess, that you could say that I speak like that here, because I get tired of the pop comments by so many folks about their favorite guitarist ... geee, which girl has the best _____________??? It's not even about the person, or his/her art anymore ... it's just a preference!

There are a lot of new things out there, and some older folks also doing some great work, that are not getting credit, because we pasted "progressive" to a bathroom wall in some john in the late 1960's and early 1970's ... and yeah ... it's hard to repeat "time" ... but music and the arts? A very different animal, and people today can do "progressive" as good, and better than yesterday ... but we think that Shakespeare (so to speak!) is the only writer for 300 years ... because no school or anyone reads anything else except pulp, or cheap commercial imitations of the real thing ... they sound good ... that's about it, but the vanity behind it is ... too much perfume ... sickening!

Edited by moshkito - April 15 2019 at 07:58
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 09:13
Hopelessly lost in an RPI fog only occasionally relieved by Neal Morse.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 14:44
^ That's a good fog to be lost in
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 19:00
My big four at the moment seem to be...
The Neal Morse Band
Haken
Camel
Gentle Giant
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 19:09
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

For a joke, I am usually listening to things that PA rarely mentions ... yesterday it was the Sadistic Mika Band. And then some of the solo albums by Simon House ... it's just more interesting to me to hear something and not have to be influenced or twisted by someone else's opinion.

Other people’s opinions can be very damaging. I had believed those telling me the quality of Tangerine Dream’s albums declined steadily until becoming worthless at some point in the late 1980s and was trying to work out exactly when that was. Having bought a cheap 10 CD compilation a couple of months ago out of curiosity to see just how bad they were in the 1990s though I discovered they started to become interesting to me again around 1997 and have gone on to find many worthwhile albums from the the last 20 years. Maybe people will say they’re no longer “progressive electronic” but I happen to like drum machines, loops, techno, remixes and ambient and they fit in more with my “non-prog” collection. So what I am into now is this later Tangerine Dream.

Basically the 'classic era' ended with Underwater Sunlight in 1986. However they came back strongly in the 00's especially with the Booster series. You are correct that there was a 10 year period when they wer not so good as Paul Haslinger and Chris Franke departed and it took time for Jerome Froese to bed in. The music did not become worthless. There was also the series of albums they made with opera singers that I strongly recommend including Purgatorio
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=116361

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 19:31
I’ve been listening to Zappa’s 200 Motels at least a couple of times a week for the past few months.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 21:14
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I’ve been listening to Zappa’s 200 Motels at least a couple of times a week for the past few months.

That's a good one. It has some slow spots for sure, but when it gets going it really gets going.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 03:01
Riverside, Universal Totem Orchestra, Chris Cornell this week

.....but I'm enjoying Lene Lovich, too Embarrassed
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 04:37
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Right on!Thumbs Up
I think it was reading your reviews years ago that turned me on to the band - so cheers for that

Edited by Mascodagama - April 16 2019 at 04:38
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>