Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What band are you in to now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavydrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2019 at 15:35
been trapped in the fugazi tunnel for a month now, i've hopelessly fallen in love with their 'in on the kill taker' album. i'm also following the 'europe 72' grateful dead tour date by date, day by day and i'm falling asleep almost every night with the voice of john martyn.
i refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2019 at 07:46
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Hopelessly lost in an RPI fog only occasionally relieved by Neal Morse.

(... and to stay on topic, yes, I did go listen to a lot of NM and SB ... )

I have listened to both the albums and some of his earlier material.

While I do not think, in general, that he is being a bit on the vain side of things, in some ways, I do think that his beliefs are getting in the way of the music, in that he has to tell the story as he sees fit, and it's not that bad, and yes, it is OK, but I think I would rather go read T. Lobsang Rampa, or the more occult writers of the past 100's of years, to find something that is more interesting and challenging, than being told that you are not doing it right, and we don't know what it is, because the heavens will open and the clouds will dump a lot of rain on us, if not thunder and lightening! ... it's all because ... 

I do not doubt his honesty, and his belief. I find it rather refreshing, considering how much lyrics in a lot of "progressive" bands, are so simplistic, boring and even insulting to anyone's intelligence.

But, honestly, I don't think I would compare, the spirituality in TFTO against Neal's ... as one of these comes off as a weak Sunday preacher ... and the work he is quoting and singing about is far older than the book that Neal is singing about. In fact, Neal's book has a lot of copied moments from the older book, and is the worst news reporting ever done of a "supposed" event, and was "written", nearly 300 plus years after the event. Makes one think that Twitter is the only real news place!

Edited by moshkito - April 22 2019 at 07:59
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 11:54
I've been listening to the discography of Phideaux as I am preparing to interview him on Zoom.
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 12:06
Listening to a lot of 'Arena' at the moment. Smile
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 12:52
Maybe not a band, but a genre.
I've been revisiting a lot of the 80's bands releases in the 'Euro-Pop, or Synth-Pop' genres on vinyl.
Yaz, Naked Eyes, Klaus Nomi, Thomas Dolby, Men Without Hats, Men at Work, OMD etc.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
IncogNeato View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IncogNeato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2023 at 06:32
Currently, I can't seem to get enough of Thank You Scientist.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2023 at 07:22
I've been playing a heck of a lot of Focus recently....

before that, I was on quite a Mike Oldfield kick...

before that, it was Caravan...

interspersed through all of this, there's also been a fair amount of Camel and King Crimson...
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2023 at 07:51
When just considering what's in PA:

It's been Swans for quite some time, and with the release of The Beggar, it's Swans even more-so. And I have been listening to Godspeed You! Black Emperor, black midi and the artists Anna von Hausswolff and Björk a fair amount recently.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2023 at 08:25
I've been mostly listening to chaotic stuff, like Upsilon Acrux and Alex Ward, among others. My brain seems to like to immerse itself in these "walls of sound" and tries to dissect the chaos. I find stuff like this is even influencing some of my own creations I've been slowly piecing together this year.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2023 at 09:37
It Bites, Ghost
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2023 at 09:54
For the last week or so, Greg Foat and Trees Speak
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2023 at 08:11
The Filibuster Saloon
Rascal Reporters
Eyeless Owl
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2023 at 08:52
I've been listening to, and doing research on Miles Davis' music from 1970 to 1975, especially the band that toured with him from 73 to 75.
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2023 at 08:58
I have been working my way through the 'Mostly Autumn' catalogue recently.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2023 at 09:08
Dina Ögon. Gorgeous, dreamy Swedish psychedelic folk with lovely vocals (in Swedish)

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2023 at 10:10

new, very pleasant album discovery (recommendation)

Thought Industry (USA) - Songs for Insects (1993)
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2023 at 11:27
Mostly just one album

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2023 at 12:11
I've always struggled a bit with The Flower Kings, but I'm slowly starting to appreciate them more as I plough through their discography. I do wish there was a little less filler with some of their songs though.

Also everything by Rikard Sjöblom - Beardfish, Gungfly, Bootcut - brilliant.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2023 at 17:55
Chicago (Terry Kath era)
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2023 at 18:23
Can't really say currently that I am particularly into any given bands or a band. Listening to lots of different music these days.

Non-Prog, been returning to Eels yesterday. In PA, been returning to much Dead Can Dance recently. I now appreciate its post 80s work a lot more than I used to.

Edited by Logan - September 04 2023 at 18:29
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>