Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
29 [61.70%]
18 [38.30%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voyage of the Acolyte vs Turn of the Cards
    Posted: April 12 2019 at 09:10
Two albums based on Tarot cards, symphonic prog masterpieces, mid 70s juggernauts. Which does it most for you, Steve Hackett or Renaissance
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 09:32
Voyage of the Acolyte, though Turn of the Cards is quite amazing too.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 09:33
Tough, very tough indeed, but I give the edge to Renaissance.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 10:01
Hackett
Prog On!
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 10:36
Voyage
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 10:49
Voyage is good, Turn of the Cards is a masterpiece
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 11:28
Both are very good but for me Turn of The Cards is a more solid work overall.....while Voyage has 2 or 3 tracks that I like.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 17:42
"Voyage..." is fantastic but... "Turn Of the Cards" is a must !!!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 17:42
SH
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 20:03
This is too bad, I love both SH and AH.  Now if you had pitted Spectral Mornings against the album that is probably my least favourite of the classic mk-ii Ren albums, I would have plumped for Spectral.  Voyage is too uneven for me.  Has the amazing Hierophant and Ace of Wands and rest of it is near filler material. Cards is a pretty solid collection of tracks AND they have Annie to lend much needed weight even to the fairly mundane I think of you, to say nothing of the better ones like Black Flame or Things I Don't Understand.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 21:06
Now this is a difficult one, and as it was suggested in another poll, if this one had included the both option I would be tempted to use it (even if I rather prefer to avoid such options). Both are excellent albums on the whole, so it's difficult to choose that way. Perhaps if I go for my favourit tracks on each, Mother Russia and Shadow of the Hierophant... and I think that way it becomes even more difficult to choose. Perhaps I'll just go with Turn of the Cards because the album is more even, and the atmosphere is warmer and more atractive.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 23:38
Voyage of the Acolyte wins my vote I have the remastered version with extra tracks and the extra tracks are great in my collection, but Turn of the Cards - Renaissance I have as well and I really like, so I had to think about it. 

Edited by Enchant X - April 12 2019 at 23:42
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2019 at 06:11
Love SH but "Turn of the Cards" has gotten far more play on my turntable throughout the years. "Black Flame" and "Mother Russia" are incredible. Renaissance it is,
PROGMATIC
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2019 at 10:18
"mid 70s juggernauts"? Do tell. Anyway, it's Hackett. His album is the one with Collins on drums.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2019 at 10:21
Two monster albums. Both are indispensable. Another poll where I won't cast a vote for one against the other.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2019 at 14:58
Voyage
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formentera Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2019 at 17:11
VOTA, but TOTC is a great album, too.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 00:01
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Tough, very tough indeed, but I give the edge to Renaissance.

Oh yes...
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 04:26
Tough choice but Turn Of The Cards.

Edited by Tom Ozric - April 14 2019 at 04:28
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 11:53
Renaissance for me
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>