Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Common prog misconceptions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 09:08
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Hey Mosh! We agree. Prog is sophisticated AND it is complicated and THEREFORE, from my frame of reference, it is superior. I have not been in a position to validate any other frame of reference.

I know the word "moshpit", and If I guess the meaning of mosh correctly, you're addressing me just the opposite. LOL

My point was, being simple and effective/impactful/impressive/original etc.  is just as good as being sophisticated and complicated while also being consistent and intriguing; and it is even better than being sophisticated and inept.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 10:17
My lesson I have learned from fact checking is that Wikipedia can be a good source of facts, however, it's usually best to check their facts, because, just like Prog Archives, regular people are writing these facts.  Use several sources, not just one.  Also remember, none of us are perfect, especially moi.

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 12:53
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Steve Howe had a small penis.  False, and was one of the most well-endowed people in prog.

How would you know? LOL
Must be a groupie!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 12:58
That Jon Anderson is some kind of Milquetoast. In fact, he's a normal guy who enjoys playing golf in Florida.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 14:56
Originally posted by Odvin Draoi Odvin Draoi wrote:

Hey Mosh! We agree. Prog is sophisticated AND it is complicated and THEREFORE, from my frame of reference, it is superior. I have not been in a position to validate any other frame of reference.

I know the word "moshpit", and If I guess the meaning of mosh correctly, you're addressing me just the opposite. LOL

My point was, being simple and effective/impactful/impressive/original etc.  is just as good as being sophisticated and complicated while also being consistent and intriguing; and it is even better than being sophisticated and inept.

No, actually Mosh was referring to Moshkito, the poster right before me, otherwise known as Pedro. Sure, in another time and in another mood, I might agree with you to one extent or another. Having a low post count as you do I wasn't sure if you might've been just trolling, but you seem genuine enough, so welcome to the forum. Anyway, what fans of different music styles value is different. Prog fans see an elegance in complexity. Jazz fans like complexity too, but may care very little about a Prog fan's excitement over innovative timbres. Many prog fans may enjoy good vocals and good lyrics, yet overdose on them on them very easily and are really more inclined toward instrumental work. Similarly, it may be true that there is something to be said for understatement and simplicity, but many Prog fans are not chasing that and get bored easily with minimal complexity no matter how eloquent (for instance, I appreciate the Stones for their eloquence and tasteful yet simple blues, but they are not going on my desert island list). So, yes, I consider Prog superior given what I value in music. Of course 'superior' is a subjective term in my use.

My apology to the OP, as I understand this post deviates from the point of the thread.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 15:07
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Steve Howe had a small penis.  False, and was one of the most well-endowed people in prog.

How would you know? LOL
Must be a groupie!
seen the south side of this guy, has he?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 15:12
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

seen the south side of this guy, has he?

'Scuse me while I kiss this guy ~

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 15:30
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

That Jon Anderson is some kind of Milquetoast. In fact, he's a normal guy who enjoys playing golf in Florida.

Surprised he doesn't play in California. He must like humidity.
Odvin Draoi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 16:26

Originally posted by Odvin Draoi Odvin Draoi wrote:

No, actually Mosh was referring to Moshkito, the poster right before me, otherwise known as Pedro. Sure, in another time and in another mood, I might agree with you to one extent or another. Having a low post count as you do I wasn't sure if you might've been just trolling, but you seem genuine enough, so welcome to the forum. Anyway, what fans of different music styles value is different. Prog fans see an elegance in complexity. Jazz fans like complexity too, but may care very little about a Prog fan's excitement over innovative timbres. Many prog fans may enjoy good vocals and good lyrics, yet overdose on them on them very easily and are really more inclined toward instrumental work. Similarly, it may be true that there is something to be said for understatement and simplicity, but many Prog fans are not chasing that and get bored easily with minimal complexity no matter how eloquent (for instance, I appreciate the Stones for their eloquence and tasteful yet simple blues, but they are not going on my desert island list). So, yes, I consider Prog superior given what I value in music. Of course 'superior' is a subjective term in my use.

My apology to the OP, as I understand this post deviates from the point of the thread.

Thanks for the clarification, and the kind and detailed reply. Star

This pretty much shows my incisive understanding and preferences in lots of things in general; encompassing artistic taste and valuation. From my perspective, they are on a par. Generally "ingenuous" approach of the artists call for some other elements like originality to rise in value, and "ingenious" pieces require coherence at least. Yet if they achieve to impress you, both ingeniousness and ingenuousness are in same value, for oneself; or rather, for myself; as you already said it is a subjective issue.

Also both can be combined in countless ways. Just by adding a fantastic invention or twist, an ingenuous artist might bring into being an ingenious work of art to some or great extent; or showing an ingenuous approach in the lyrics of an ingenious work of art might make people very impressed and arouse ineffable emotions,  etc.

Edited by Odvin Draoi - April 16 2019 at 05:06
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 18:19
Here's two:

In the court of the crimson king was the first prog rock album.  This is a statement that I still see. It's really just an opinion that people present as fact but just saying it doesn't make it so. For one thing many sources(including wikipedia)cite earlier bands and albums as progressive rock(the Moody Blues and Pink Floyd being just two examples)and another is that the Canterbury scene existed before that album. I think what people really mean is that it's the album that made prog official or the album that took prog out of the underground etc. Whether it's the first or not is highly debatable. 

Most prog fans are over 55 or old enough to have been into the genre in the seventies.  First of all "most" is hard to prove. What do we mean by most? 95 percent? Over 80 percent? Even if we say 75 percent that is probably not true as well as a generalization. Sure, it seems like most prog fans are around that age if we just go by who shows up at the festivals but maybe it's because most of them are retired or can afford to go on cruise to the edge or other festivals. The truth is that there are prog fans from all ages. There's even weirdos like myself who got into this music in the eighties! Imagine that. I could generalize and say Yes and ELP for the seventies fans, Marillion and Genesis and Rush for the 80's fans and Dream Theater and King's X(maybe?)for the 90's fans etc. That would be a bit of a generalization and a bit unfair and an exagerration even if there is a tiny bit of truth to that. Over all prog fans have different ways of finding out about this music and come in at different periods in their life and in different decades. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 15 2019 at 18:20
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 19:04
A normal guy that likes golf...

.... sounds like the very essence of milquetoast to me.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 19:42

In the court of the crimson king was the first prog rock album.  This is a statement that I still see. It's really just an opinion that people present as fact but just saying it doesn't make it so. For one thing many sources(including wikipedia)cite earlier bands and albums as progressive rock(the Moody Blues and Pink Floyd being just two examples)and another is that the Canterbury scene existed before that album. I think what people really mean is that it's the album that made prog official or the album that took prog out of the underground etc. Whether it's the first or not is highly debatable.

Still? That makes no sense, as that album came out in '69, and before that, at a bare minimum, we got The Mothers' Freak Out! in '66, Floyd's Piper... and The Nice's Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack (ELP's oft-performed "Rondo" comes from this album) in '67, and Tomorrow's self-titled in '68.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 20:30
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Still? That makes no sense, as that album came out in '69, and before that, at a bare minimum, we got The Mothers' Freak Out! in '66, Floyd's Piper... and The Nice's Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack (ELP's oft-performed "Rondo" comes from this album) in '67, and Tomorrow's self-titled in '68.

You're right. It makes no sense but people still seem to think that. Still as in people continue to say it even after it's been more or less disproven.

However, I will say that Tomorrow, despite having a future Yes member in Steve Howe were a psych band and imo not really even proto prog. That doesn't mean they weren't good just that I don't hear much other than just pure psych in their music. A better example, imo, would be Family.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 15 2019 at 20:33
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 21:14

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

You're right. It makes no sense but people still seem to think that. Still as in people continue to say it even after it's been more or less disproven.

However, I will say that Tomorrow, despite having a future Yes member in Steve Howe were a psych band and imo not really even proto prog. That doesn't mean they weren't good just that I don't hear much other than just pure psych in their music. A better example, imo, would be Family.

I think it's been firmly established that East of Eden released their debut before KC as well. I don't think anyone really thinks KC produced the first prog album. What they did was popularize prog and start a whole new revolution and that's why ITCOTCK is considered as the big bang of prog.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 21:19
To simplify things, I do consider ItCotCK as the first prog album. I know it's not accurate... actually not true. But since the creation of the genre was a process, an evolution, and music widely considered prog doesn't always have all the elements usually asociated with prog (actually, there's no true concensus about which characteristics make prog, and there are many bands that some cosider prog and others don't), it's actually very difficult, or just about impossible to choose the real first prog album. So, I'm just fine by considering Crimson's debut as the first one, more as a turning point.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 21:27
It's amazing how much prog owes to Psychedelic rock.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 00:25
Its a little known fact that Steve Howe used the shadow of his erect penis to calculate the height of the great pyramid of cheops...
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 03:28
Not sure if it's an urban legend or not: the guitar solo at the end of Kate Bush' Wuthering Heights is played by David Gilmour.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 04:23
Thought that was Fripp?
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 04:30
On the single those are credited:

- Paul Keogh / guitars
- Alan Parker / guitars
- Ian Bairnson / guitars

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>