Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Common prog misconceptions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 04:31
It seems it was Bairnson. No Gilmour and no Fripp.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 07:54
[QUOTE=Atavachron]
Steve Howe had a small penis.  False, and was one of the most well-endowed people in prog.

LOLLOLLOLHandshakethanks for a good laugh first thing in the morning---I think you were thinking of Rabin
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 11:06
Phil Collins cant be that well endowed. His wives all fancied having it off with interior decorators etc...
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 11:14
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Phil Collins cant be that well endowed. His wives all fancied having it off with interior decorators etc...

When one's bank account is as well-endowed as Phil's, whatever else is an afterthought. LOL
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 11:22
The major misconception among non-prog fans is that prog is all egghead music, purely for showing off instrumental or compositional chops, and inherently devoid of actual artistry or emotional content.  
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 15:18
Proto-prog misconception.

Ringo solo on The End (Abbey Road) was not a real solo.

Ringo didnt want to do a solo, so Paul and John and George, with George Martin, 
removed instruments from the arrangements during the mixing, 
so we can hear almost only the drums played by Ringo.

Anyway, Ringo was a good drummer (listen to I Feel Fine, Rain, A Day in The Life, Come Togehter)
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 21:07
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

The major misconception among non-prog fans is that prog is all egghead music, purely for showing off instrumental or compositional chops, and inherently devoid of actual artistry or emotional content.  

Indeed the emotion thing. There's lot's of prog songs I find utterly emotional... and mostly because of prog's characteristics, being able to elaborate a melody in a way a pop/rock act wouldn't do.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 04:20
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Anyway, Ringo was a good drummer (listen to I Feel Fine, Rain, A Day in The Life, Come Togehter)
Clap
I would add Ticket To Ride to that list.

Which brings me to another misconception that Lennon said Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in The Beatles, apparently it was Jasper Carrott.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 22:08
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Proto-prog misconception.

Ringo solo on The End (Abbey Road) was not a real solo.

Ringo didnt want to do a solo, so Paul and John and George, with George Martin, 
removed instruments from the arrangements during the mixing, 
so we can hear almost only the drums played by Ringo.

So they tricked him into doing a "solo?" LOL I never heard that before. 

Ringo doesn't stand out for me as a drummer. I think his best drumming was on Back in the USSR. LOL Yes, that's obviously a joke. ;) I actually think Nick Mason is a much better drummer.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 17 2019 at 22:10
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 22:10
That the Mothers of Invention albums are Frank Zappa albums. I guess because Zappa owned all the rights that they became known as his? 

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 22:12
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

That the Mothers of Invention albums are Frank Zappa albums. I guess because Zappa owned all the rights that they became known as his? 

Let's put it this way. The Mothers of Invention albums are as much Frank Zappa albums as the Paul McCartney and the Wings were Paul McCartney albums which is to say they mostly are. 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 06:58
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Let's put it this way. The Mothers of Invention albums are as much Frank Zappa albums as the Paul McCartney and the Wings were Paul McCartney albums which is to say they mostly are. 

Jethro Tull albums are as much albums as are Ian ANderson solo albums. Let's put all Tull's albums on the ANderson page then. No, not the same. Zappa was the leader but the albums were released as The MOthers of Invention, NOT Zappa albums. I know why this happens but the Mothers albums were generally better than the Zappa solo albums because of the band IMHO

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROGMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 09:50
Misheard lyrics in Peter Gabriel's songs

Games without Frontiers doesn't say She's So Popular (even fooled me for years)
CYMRU AM BYTH
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 10:20

So they tricked him into doing a "solo?" LOL I never heard that before. 

Ringo doesn't stand out for me as a drummer. I think his best drumming was on Back in the USSR. LOL Yes, that's obviously a joke. ;) I actually think Nick Mason is a much better drummer.

"Ringo isn't even the best drummer in the Beatles." 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 10:29
Originally posted by Odvin Draoi Odvin Draoi wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Hey Mosh! We agree. Prog is sophisticated AND it is complicated and THEREFORE, from my frame of reference, it is superior. I have not been in a position to validate any other frame of reference.

I know the word "moshpit", and If I guess the meaning of mosh correctly, you're addressing me just the opposite. LOL

My point was, being simple and effective/impactful/impressive/original etc.  is just as good as being sophisticated and complicated while also being consistent and intriguing; and it is even better than being sophisticated and inept.

There aren't many prog rock bands - at least the big name ones - that I would think of as sophisticated and inept.  Something like power/symphonic metal?  Yeah, maybe, especially Dragonforce.  Again JMO. The best prog is effective, impactful, impressive and original while also being sophisticated and complicated. Wink  Pretty much my favourite kind of music and though prog doesn't have a monopoly over this kind of music, at least I find it most frequently in prog.  It's the reason why I am not able to be genre agnostic though I try to keep an open mind.  I can't take more than a couple of minutes of country without getting bored, for instance.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2019 at 00:53
Good job mate, a few minutes of country will give you a mild headache. Listen to more of it and your wife will shag your best mate and your car will explode...

Edited by M27Barney - April 19 2019 at 00:54
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2019 at 06:38
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Good job mate, a few minutes of country will give you a mild headache. Listen to more of it and your wife will shag your best mate and your car will explode...

LOLLOLLOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2019 at 13:25

Jethro Tull albums are as much albums as are Ian ANderson solo albums. Let's put all Tull's albums on the ANderson page then. No, not the same. Zappa was the leader but the albums were released as The MOthers of Invention, NOT Zappa albums. I know why this happens but the Mothers albums were generally better than the Zappa solo albums because of the band IMHO

I didn't say that about Ian Anderson. Anyway, some of the albums were  credited to "Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention" and not just MOI. Frank was the leader and without him there really was no band or at the very least it would not be the same.  Since you mentioned Tull, no there is no Tull without Ian but I see that as being somewhat different anyway. Technically speaking I do agree that a band listing should be separate in some cases than a solo listing. For FZ and MOI though it doesn't make much difference(at least to me)and it would be silly imo to have a separate listing for FZ and Moi unless they did albums without Frank and I don't think they did. So the way they have it on progarchives(Zappa solo and MOI mixed together)is perfectly fine by me. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 19 2019 at 13:30
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2019 at 11:23
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

A somewhat common misconception is that Germany's Triumvirat are basically just a copy of ELP.
        This is utter nonsense, when you intently listen to T'rat's music, you discover that they are a group in their own right, unique, really, in the overall atmosphere or "vibe" they create with their music. Structurally, as well, they do many things their own way.

I have Illusions On A Double Dimple, Spartacus, The School Of Instant Pain in the Krautrock: Music For Your Brain box sets. I’m not mad keen on them (or ELP) but they never struck me as ELP copyists.
Clone? No.  Influenced by Emerson.  Certainly.  And for me that was used as slur but I like what they did. Big smile  And I might add I have nothing wrong with that.  They both made great music to my ear.

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 20 2019 at 11:23
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123