Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Band Addition Procedure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2005 at 12:41
Sorry to disturb, but if I send you all albums informations, then what do I need to upload later? (you said "requestor notified that they can upload albums")
No workie? Restartie!
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2005 at 14:03

Originally posted by Winters Winters wrote:

Sorry to disturb, but if I send you all albums informations, then what do I need to upload later? (you said "requestor notified that they can upload albums")

That is an oversite on my part sorry.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2005 at 11:38
Not knowing the new procedure for additions I had to use search tool in forumu to get to this thread. Should not old procedures be deleted or moved to some "archive" or to put updated news and procedures on the main home page where it is easily identified?

I am still of opinion that the old open "submission form" was an excellent tool to easily add a new artist, provided that it should have been restricted to Collaborators only, as suggested in that Maani's "letter issue". In anyway, "The only thing I will ever reject is incomplete band requests. Max has instructed us to be inclusive rather than exclusive and there probably will be controversial additions because of this. Just letting you know in advance. Max’s goal is to bring a more and more people to this site." So then why additions are restricted and more complicate?

I understand if the Admin team wants more control over who and what has been added, but now this new procedure seems more difficult for me as a "submitter" of info. If I understood correctly a new submission is going thru email message to a given address at gmail, including bio, discogrphy, and pictures and mp3s as attachments to that message. I prepared a zip package for the artist I would like to submit, but the message will be over 35 MB size (5 mp3s): my internet connection is too lousy to even try to do it, so...

Another point: Why do you need so many artist info for initial addition of artists, I mean - listing of ALL the songs and line-up for EACH album? Isn't is the purpose of the nice "add album" tool on each artists page, where later on anyone can update discography with correct info?

Also Max had promised to enable all collaborators with a tool to edit or update all album information, or to correct errors. I have not seen that feature so far... I hope I made myself clear as to what I see as a problem which may delay additions from devouted collaborators like myself...

Kohllapse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2005 at 12:20
 Seyo is right
Radioactive Toy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2005 at 12:46
Originally posted by Seyo Seyo wrote:

Not knowing the new procedure for additions I had to use search tool in forumu to get to this thread. Should not old procedures be deleted or moved to some "archive" or to put updated news and procedures on the main home page where it is easily identified?

I am still of opinion that the old open "submission form" was an excellent tool to easily add a new artist, provided that it should have been restricted to Collaborators only, as suggested in that Maani's "letter issue". In anyway, "The only thing I will ever reject is incomplete band requests. Max has instructed us to be inclusive rather than exclusive and there probably will be controversial additions because of this. Just letting you know in advance. Max’s goal is to bring a more and more people to this site." So then why additions are restricted and more complicate?

I understand if the Admin team wants more control over who and what has been added, but now this new procedure seems more difficult for me as a "submitter" of info. If I understood correctly a new submission is going thru email message to a given address at gmail, including bio, discogrphy, and pictures and mp3s as attachments to that message. I prepared a zip package for the artist I would like to submit, but the message will be over 35 MB size (5 mp3s): my internet connection is too lousy to even try to do it, so...

Another point: Why do you need so many artist info for initial addition of artists, I mean - listing of ALL the songs and line-up for EACH album? Isn't is the purpose of the nice "add album" tool on each artists page, where later on anyone can update discography with correct info?

Also Max had promised to enable all collaborators with a tool to edit or update all album information, or to correct errors. I have not seen that feature so far... I hope I made myself clear as to what I see as a problem which may delay additions from devouted collaborators like myself...

If you give me that tool (I've done some more work also here!) I'll add the new liquid scarlets myself, along with some reviews!

Reed's failed joke counter:
|||||
R.I.P. You could have reached infinity....
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2005 at 13:58
Radioactive Toy! We haven't seen you here for a while, have we?
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2005 at 17:51
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

Process for adding new bands to Prog Archives.

I have been asked to chair a team for adding new bands to Prog Archives.  The team that is in place has an eclectic uniqueness to it and will serve this process well.  My role as Chair is primarily administrative in making sure the team is given what it needs to make proper evaluations. Anyone on Prog Archives can submit bands for addition. Here is the form of request we are asking for:

Rules for band addition submissions to Prog Archives:

The following criterion needs to be submitted with each request:

BAND INFORMATION

• A short paragraph with your reasons why this band should be added
  • Artist/band biography (usually found on their web site)
  • Country
  • Prog genre  (This may be subject to change by PA staff)
  • Artist picture
  • Official Website
  • Discography (In a List style not in a Paragraph, Include line up and Year of release)
  • A group (5) of MP3 that give the best overview of bands sound in 128 bit stereo,mp3

HI GARION, THIS IS CÉSAR INCA.

Would it be OK if I proposed a new band from my Yahoo! Mail e-address and not my ProgArchives one? If that's OK, I would send you an e-mail about Peruvian band Supay, a great Prog Folk from Lima.

The mail would include:
   - an attached Word document with the band's biography and discography
   - JPG images of tha band playing on stage and their (so far) only album

Regards.

Kohllapse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2005 at 18:19

I'm curious ,why does it take so long for you to add band's to this site?

It seems like i only see one new addition to the site every few days.Do you only have one person who does all of the web work?

I see that you have at least five members on the "bands addition team" so then why does it take so long from the time a band is submitted,to listen the bands mp3s then decide if they belong here then add them?

If its a numbers thing maybe you could add more members to the"team".The reason i ask is because i have alot of bands i would like to submit,but at the pace this site moves it would be years before i see them added.

I would love to help you guys as much as i can,to relieve some of the burden.If there is anything i can do outside of"Stop submitting bands"let me know.

Don't take this as criticism,I love this site and want to help.

Edited by Kohllapse
Kohllapse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2005 at 10:40

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2005 at 11:31
What if you want to add a band, but don't have 5 Mp3s?
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2005 at 14:45

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

What if you want to add a band, but don't have 5 Mp3s?

You could ask other forum members to help you out!

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2005 at 14:46
Originally posted by Cesar Inca Cesar Inca wrote:

Process for adding new bands to Prog Archives.

I have been asked to chair a team for adding new bands to Prog Archives.  The team that is in place has an eclectic uniqueness to it and will serve this process well.  My role as Chair is primarily administrative in making sure the team is given what it needs to make proper evaluations. Anyone on Prog Archives can submit bands for addition. Here is the form of request we are asking for:

Rules for band addition submissions to Prog Archives:

The following criterion needs to be submitted with each request:

BAND INFORMATION

• A short paragraph with your reasons why this band should be added
  • Artist/band biography (usually found on their web site)
  • Country
  • Prog genre  (This may be subject to change by PA staff)
  • Artist picture
  • Official Website
  • Discography (In a List style not in a Paragraph, Include line up and Year of release)
  • A group (5) of MP3 that give the best overview of bands sound in 128 bit stereo,mp3

HI GARION, THIS IS CÉSAR INCA.

Would it be OK if I proposed a new band from my Yahoo! Mail e-address and not my ProgArchives one? If that's OK, I would send you an e-mail about Peruvian band Supay, a great Prog Folk from Lima.

The mail would include:
   - an attached Word document with the band's biography and discography
   - JPG images of tha band playing on stage and their (so far) only album

Regards.

Hi Cesar,

Long time no see.  Yes just send it to [email protected].  You can send it from any email account you want.  There are a few people who access this account and will respond to your email.  If you have any MP3 of the band that would be great too.

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2005 at 14:52
Originally posted by Kohllapse Kohllapse wrote:

It seems like i only see one new addition to the site every few days.Do you only have one person who does all of the web work?

I see that you have at least five members on the "bands addition team" so then why does it take so long from the time a band is submitted,to listen the bands mp3s then decide if they belong here then add them?

If its a numbers thing maybe you could add more members to the"team".The reason i ask is because i have alot of bands i would like to submit,but at the pace this site moves it would be years before i see them added.

I would love to help you guys as much as i can,to relieve some of the burden.If there is anything i can do outside of"Stop submitting bands"let me know.

Actually, I can asure you if you submit them in the format outlined I will see they get consideration in the next two weeks.  As for your offer you realize we have a team that votes new bands on. Are you willing to folllow that and not add bands on your own but what the team submits to you only? This is the process the owners of the web site have chosen to follow.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 07:39

I submitted Lone Star for inclusion yesterday but was unable to mail in a zip file with the 5 MP3 tracks as it was too big! I ended up having to split them into individual zip files and even then I couldn't send a couple of the tracks I wanted to.

Is there an alternative way of submitting MP3s?

Kohllapse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 08:46

As for your offer you realize we have a team that votes new bands on. Are you willing to folllow that and not add bands on your own but what the team submits to you only? This is the process the owners of the web site have chosen to follow.

yes.

Edited by Kohllapse
Kohllapse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 13:29
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I submitted Lone Star for inclusion yesterday but was unable to mail in a zip file with the 5 MP3 tracks as it was too big! I ended up having to split them into individual zip files and even then I couldn't send a couple of the tracks I wanted to.

www.yousendit.com
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 13:30

Seyo is right

Thanks Kohllapse!
I also love this site very much, and want to help build it better and more accurate...
Kohllapse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 14:24

As for your offer you realize we have a team that votes new bands on. Are you willing to folllow that and not add bands on your own but what the team submits to you only? This is the process the owners of the web site have chosen to follow.

[/QUOTE]  yes.

Garion81,if there is a way to join the team let me know.

Edited by Kohllapse
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 17:09
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Use www.yousendit.com  to send the cd's.  Put all MP3 into a zip file and send it using this website.  Sugesstion: send it late at night to avoid heavy traffic on the internet.

Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 13:20

Hi Cesar,

Long time no see.  Yes just send it to [email protected].  You can send it from any email account you want.  There are a few people who access this account and will respond to your email.  If you have any MP3 of the band that would be great too.

HI, GARION.

Supay is already in the Archives -- Tony R. took in charge of it last week.
But now I'm ellaborating a text about Argentinian band ALAS. I'm afraid there are no sound archives available, and this band doesn't have a web page, but I'll complie as much information as I can about their biography, as well as their discography. Meanwhile, I'll be making drafts of reviews for their two albums.

Regards.

Edited by Cesar Inca
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>