Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tony Visconti - fave album produced by

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Fave Tony Visconti produced album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [8.11%]
2 [5.41%]
7 [18.92%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
17 [45.95%]
2 [5.41%]
1 [2.70%]
1 [2.70%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
1 [2.70%]
1 [2.70%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tony Visconti - fave album produced by
    Posted: April 15 2019 at 07:31
Thought I'd try something different.  Admittedly with Bowie, T.Rex,  and Strawbs, the choices were considerable. I could have picked 'Low', 'The Slider', and 'From the Witchwood', but thought I'd limit it to one per artist.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 08:39
Of this list "Acquiring The Taste".
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 08:42
Actually, Tony Visconti only produced Benedictus from Strawbs' Grave New World.  He wasn't available to do the rest due to being called upon to produce T-Rex.  He did produce Dragonfly, Just a Collection of Antiques and Curious and From the Witchwood.  He recently listed his favorites among albums he has produced and Dragonfly was one of them

edit:  the rest of Grave New World was produced by the group

Edited by kenethlevine - April 15 2019 at 08:45
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 08:53
Ah, OK. To late to change it.  Doesn't especially matter; it's still away of listing a bunch of albums that probably wouldn't otherwise be mentioned together :)  I originally had put Witchwood as the Strawbs option actually, then changed my mind...  In 'Animation' is also only part credited to Visconti, too.

Edited by Braka - April 15 2019 at 09:04
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 08:57
Animation is my favorite of Jon's solo works.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 09:02
Originally posted by Braka Braka wrote:

Ah, OK. To late to change it.  Doesn't especially matter; it's still away of listing a bunch of albums that probably wouldn't otherwise be mentioned together :)  I originally had put Witchwood as the Strawbs option actually, then changed my mind...

Grave New World it is then

At Strawbs 50th anniversary weekend he will be conducting an orchestra for one of the performances.  For another the group will play Grave New World in its entirety for the first time ever

Edited by kenethlevine - April 15 2019 at 09:02
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 09:05
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 09:18
Gentle Giant for this one . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 09:23
No vote for me as yet. The Bowie and GG-albums are absolutely fine, but the best of all is lacking: Dancing on a Cold Wind by Carmen.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 10:47
Some great albums here. I voted for Osibisa, a truly remarkable band. Others in consideration were the albums by Bowie, Moody Blues, Rick Wakeman, and Jon Anderson.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 10:52
Gentel Giant - Aquering the Taste
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 13:30
I think my favourite Tony Visconti-produced album is the Strawbs' second album 'Dragonfly'
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 13:51
First vote for Rhapsodies!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 20:39
GG
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 21:42
Very eclectic - nearly all entries getting a vote. After a lot of agonising my own vote went to 'Indiscreet'.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 02:22
Other - Osibisa's Woyaya. Way better than the debut IMO, one of my earliest musical loves (it was the only rock album my parents owned when I was a kid, assuming you don't count Shirley Bassey, which I don't).

EDIT: With so many great records available in the poll it semed churlish not to vote for one of them as well so I did - Acquiring.

Edited by Mascodagama - April 16 2019 at 02:24
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 03:01
Not listed here.....The first two Carmen albums produced by Visconti i.e. Fandangos in Space and (particularly) Dancing On A Cold Wind are my all time favourites by him.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 15:21
As always I voted before reading the comments -- for "Grave New World". So removing that album from the equation, from this list I would vote David Bowie "Ziggy", but if "From The Witchwood" replaced "Grave New World" by Strawbs it would get my vote.
PROGMATIC
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 16:13
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Not listed here.....The first two Carmen albums produced by Visconti i.e. Fandangos in Space and (particularly) Dancing On A Cold Wind are my all time favourites by him.

John Glascock's band! They opened for Tull, and that's how Ian found him.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 16:48
Happy to see Strawbs in this poll. I love them, voted for Grave New World 
(but Acquiring maybe is better).
"Happiness is real only when shared"
 Post Reply Post Reply