9 [45.00%]
3 [15.00%]
8 [40.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stravinskij or Ellington or Davis
    Posted: April 17 2019 at 00:09
Im little well versed in all of them, but i respect them and all were mentioned in Fripp interview in Rolling Stone. I believe these fellows to be kindred spirits of Fripp. So this is based on that notion that all of these three went from one thing and changed directions through their carears. Highly praised musicians and composers in academia but also to commoners. All three virtouses that had few equals in ther time or perhaps ever... whom does the hall of prog thinknof these three mighty dudes.  

Edited by Icarium - April 17 2019 at 00:17
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 04:58
Stravinsky.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 16:08
Miles Davis
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 16:41
Stravinsky and Davis are my all time favorite classical and jazz artists.  In my heart, they are equal.  

Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2019 at 15:28
Can't choose. All three are so special in their own way that I can't not pick any of them. At the moment, I'm feeling the Duke. But yesterday it was Miles. But I feel a little need for Igor coming along.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2019 at 19:17
They are all wonderful and different, but gotta go with the classic Stravinsky.

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2019 at 02:50
Miles Davis, and although I do love plenty of early Duke its not really very close. Stravinskij seems to be a proggers favorite, but I've never really cared about those progressive complexities which is often mentioned as to why - in itself. Love his Symphony of Psalms though.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2019 at 03:20
Stravinski.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2021 at 16:34
Bump
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2021 at 16:46

Stravinsky

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Tancos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tancos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2021 at 17:23
Easy choice, for once. I listened to Stravinsky's Octet for Wind Instruments and the L'Histoire du Soldat suite yesterday.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2021 at 08:57
Miles...by miles.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2021 at 10:27
Hi,

A really hard choice, since all three were the "fathers" of something new ... a new expression in music that was not heard before ... and both Ellington and Davis gathered faster accolades than Stravinsky because of the media, and the selling of records, although the movie industry did their best to prevent black music (Tom Dowd Special!) for a long time, until such a time in the 60's when the sales of the black music was getting way too big for it to be ignored by commercial interests!

Stravinsky survived the time and even worked as a conductor for some of his pieces, and it ended up endearing his work to the audiences, and the recordings, that surfaced later, showed that this was indeed different and not only very good, but far out.

In all honesty, Stravinsky deserves the vote, but I do not like to not think that the other two do not deserve a vote. Miles sure does, even if some do not like him, because he is all over the place and many times folks think it is disjointed, but his improvisational style is far out, and something that only "krautrock" was able to do in both jazz and rock music.

I think weird sometimes ... I really think that Tangerine Dream deserves to be in that list ... because they really helped define and show that electronic music was far out and valuable, and a lot of the electronics before them were not as serious and well defined as they became ... most of it, like Tomita, were excellent documents that electronics could be used for classical music and very well at that ... however the ability to make other music with the electronics was still in its infancy, although Vangelis, should be in the mold with TD since he was doing it at the same time on his own!

It's a tough thing ... but one needs to put all of this on a piece of paper like a huge map over 100 years of music to see how "big" some of these folks deserve to be in terms of their contributions. 

They are all 5 star folks in my book, for different reasons!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2021 at 12:47
Davis.....all the way.........Ellington was a bit too early for my tastes...though an icon,  and never got into Stravinski. ... I'm a baroque fan and early 19th century also.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Crane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2021 at 12:59
I feel a bit ashamed, as though I should have voted for Stravinsky, but I’ve listened to the most of Miles.
“Art is the recognition of the universal presence of God.” —Ernest Hello
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2021 at 13:22
Originally posted by Crane Crane wrote:

I feel a bit ashamed, as though I should have voted for Stravinsky, but I’ve listened to the most of Miles.

Hi,

No shame in that ... the hard part being that radio and the local orchestras never did a lot of classical music justice, by sticking to the "top 5" pieces over and over and over again. In the past 30 to 40 years, even here, it is really hard to see many folks like classical music ... not just one favorite ... but all classical music and its massive history ... and then stick to just one person a few years ago.

In the Miles special on the stream, there is a fun bit ... some guy joined them and he was really good and very academic and all that ... so Miles saw one of the scores for something or that and said something like ... will do variations on that until we fall off the stage, or something like it ... and the guy was surprised, when Miles was not kidding, and every night he had to adjust. Good music lesson, if you ask me!

The folks that "turned music" upside down, are always very valuable ... and Miles deserves to be listed, and although your ear is not yet acquainted to Stravinsky, in the end, one can only say one thing ... there is music ... and then there is more music ... and the difference is? ... When you stop choosing "sides" or "favorites", that you find a new universe out there ... and it is ENDLESS.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2021 at 14:14
I'm not so big on Ellington but both Stravinskij and Miles are great. Stravinskij by a whisker.
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2021 at 14:20
Stravinsky and Davis, both Le Sacre & In A Silent Way feel like an open path into prog.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2021 at 16:43
What i find interesting with Duke Ellington is that he bridges jazz tradition with clasdical tradition, trained in both fields, and crosses over spessialy hes homage to Edvard Grieg ' - Peer Gynt.h

Hes duette with John Coltrain (and Elvin Jones) is spine chilling delicate and dissonant piano, a splendid showcase of listening and playing, call and responce, playing relaxed yet exudes musical genius on the HIGHEST vallour.

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2021 at 14:45
option 1 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>