Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Tribute Bands and Prog Radio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eurock Archie Patterson Show

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eurock Archie Patterson Show
    Posted: April 19 2019 at 15:11
Hello:  I did a search and found that at one time the Eurock/Archie Patterson book was being discussed.  I am letting prog fans here know that his radio show is returning after a bit of a hiatuson HiLo Radio this evening, Friday, April 19th from 7PM to 8PM Left Coast Time. 

He will be featuring new addition to PA, Tom Kelly.  Please check out his show and the upcoming shows as well, there will be a lot of great music from one of the most respected and informed progressive music writers, radio personalities and distributors since the 1970's. 

MFATW Program #218 ELECTRONIC ROCK

F. Robert Lloyd - Tom Kelly - Cool Feedback Quartet
Friday 7PM (Pacific Time) 10PM (Eastern Time USA)
Sunday 3PM (Pacific Time), 6PM (Eastern Time USA)
http://www.hiloradio.com/Eurock/

This Week I'll feature a double dose of Electronic Rock music combining styles, instruments and inspiration that encompass amazingly diverse musical reference points. The program begins with an incredible virtuoso guitar interpretation by F. Robert Lloyd (of Cool Feedback Quartet) of a Celtic Folk classic "Song With No Name" by former Pogues front man Shane MacGowan. The Cool Feedback Quartet's 2nd album from France picks up on the vibe of This Heat, but takes it one step further as their new album which also features Gilbert Artman of Urban Sax and legendary French Jazz pioneer Jac Berrocal. The late Tom Kelly recorded three masterpiece albums that combined every imaginable style of music to create a completely unique musical amalgam of electronics symphonic fusion that transcends any style or genre. I'll feature his extended "Burnt Peas Suite" masterwork from the first of his three albums that were released posthumously in 2017. They document the amazing music of Tom who sadly passed away too soon.

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2019 at 17:10
Wow. I haven't heard that name in a while. I remember going back a ways I used to get the eurock catalog. I think I bought a couple of cds from that. He seemed to specialize in electronic stuff.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2019 at 17:29
Everything prog/electronic/Kraut/European especially, but he even knows a heckuvalot about all kinds of other music as well.  I knew his name would be recognized hereabouts, and thought people would be interested to know that he's still doing his thing.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2019 at 20:42
I remember the catalog being almost entirely electronic or electronic related with maybe just a few prog titles mixed in. In fact I remember looking for prog in that catalog and didn't come across much at all which is why I bought so little from him. He may have started out with more genres/subgenres but when I discovered it it was mostly electronic. At least that is my memory of it. Maybe he went back to more prog stuff later. Not sure. 

The one band(and maybe the only one)I distinctly remember first hearing from his catalog was a band called Karda Estra(they are actually on this site too so check them out when you can). I remember buying the first one then for some reason giving it to my(probably unappreciative)brother later on. I'm not sure why I didn't keep it especially since it was a very good release. I will have to rediscover them at some point. They were very ethereal and sometimes haunting. A very good band. I have heard other stuff by them later and that was all good material too. I actually even recommended Karda Estra to a very well known ambient and mellow music radio program and they wound up playing them on several occasions. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 19 2019 at 20:49
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2019 at 21:00
It may have been where he was at, at that time.  I am grateful he completely "got," what Tom was about and played all of Burt Peas as an extended piece of music, as it was intended. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2019 at 06:49
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Hello:  I did a search and found that at one time the Eurock/Archie Patterson book was being discussed.  I am letting prog fans here know that his radio show is returning after a bit of a hiatuson HiLo Radio this evening, Friday, April 19th from 7PM to 8PM Left Coast Time. 

And I see this a day late ... will have to catch it Sunday ... 

I wrote a review of the book EUROCK and Archie approved it for me, and I posted it on PA. However, it seems that folks here are not exactly good readers (several exceptions!), and the only "history" of progressive music they can entertain is the one on Wiki and Cliff Notes ... so a lot of interviews with Richard Pinhas (for example) and others, get wasted, and they really help folks find that a lot of "progressive music" was a lot more than a blue guitar or an extended solo ... or just another song!

Hopefully all is well with Archie, though he does not respond to my emails ... sadly enough!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2019 at 07:30
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

And I see this a day late ... will have to catch it Sunday ... 

I wrote a review of the book EUROCK and Archie approved it for me, and I posted it on PA. However, it seems that folks here are not exactly good readers (several exceptions!), and the only "history" of progressive music they can entertain is the one on Wiki and Cliff Notes ... so a lot of interviews with Richard Pinhas (for example) and others, get wasted, and they really help folks find that a lot of "progressive music" was a lot more than a blue guitar or an extended solo ... or just another song!

Hopefully all is well with Archie, though he does not respond to my emails ... sadly enough!

Yes, there are two chances to catch it on Sunday, 3PM and 6PM Left Coast time.  
I wonder if he's gotten your emails, you know, sometimes, emails don't go to the proper spot, I've sometimes found emails in spam that should not have been moved there.  Not everyone thinks to look, however.

And yes, he knows whereof he writes, certainly.  I hope you enjoy the show, for me, it was great to hear this selection as it was meant by Tom to be heard.  
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2019 at 08:27
Hi,

Got to hear nearly 2 hours of this, and ... I enjoyed it once it got past the old time jazz stuff, and went into the wild/weird/farout material out there ... the stuff that many of us are really afraid to listen to non-stop because it defies and changes the way we think about "music" and what it is that supposedly excites us.

Experiencing new visions and worlds, with this, is worth the price of admission, and a treat in its own way. 

The first 30 minutes for me, were not exciting, as there was too much of the older, kinda traditional, American Jazz, but when it finally forgot that and went about the other material that flew, the show became more interesting for me.

Kinda weird that we think/look at these things as "radio", now. It is no longer "radio", and for my tastes, radio died a long time ago, and needs to fall off the edge of the world even more, until folks in that pay service wake up to the music, not the "radio" rip the audience off concept about music. It was strange hearing an ID referencing the show ... and for me an interruption that didn't fit, in the middle of some rather unusual and far out bits.

It's the "concept" that is missing ... I am not sure that we know what that means, and how a lot of the music created, and experimented with, was not designed for interruptions at all ... it was designed for its flow and beauty to live forth ... and I would like to see that happen a lot more than it does today!

Still, this show, was OK for me, albeit, it would be fair to say that its width of variety was almost too much, and one might have wanted to hear a bit more of this or that ... it still felt like ... just a bunch of bits and pieces of stuff strung together by a thread of strange, weird ... far out ... and interesting.

All in all, a very good show.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2019 at 11:07
Not sure we heard the same show, Archie's is only 1 hour...I am not sure if the 6PM show replayed on Sunday, as I only listened to Friday and then the 3PM Sunday show.  I do know it was scheduled to play twice on Sunday.  

The "thread of strange, weird...far out...and interesting," does sound like Archie, and the one hour show featured three artists that were very different from one another.  
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2019 at 07:27
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Not sure we heard the same show, Archie's is only 1 hour...I am not sure if the 6PM show replayed on Sunday, as I only listened to Friday and then the 3PM Sunday show.  I do know it was scheduled to play twice on Sunday.  

The "thread of strange, weird...far out...and interesting," does sound like Archie, and the one hour show featured three artists that were very different from one another.  

The link above, played something that was already started, and went on for 2 hours and 15 minutes. I have a feeling that there were two shows connected together, now that you specified things. However, I can not remember any kind of anything that defined it, or specified anything, other than the listing of material being played, a lot of which I had not heard before, but it sure had my attention!

Archie playing "different" things does not surprise me. His old listing for material when he was selling the CD's 20 years ago, was so out there and different than anyone else's that one could not even make up his mind (I sure couldn't -- but also could not afford it) as to what to get, and I heard some things that I STILL do not know what they are and if I mention them, he will probably give me a list of 15 things it could be!

Gotta love that kind of mindset ... last I saw him was at the MAGMA concert here in Portland ... still looking like Archie ... the only Archie! 

In so many ways, he is/was, as valuable to all this music as Guy Guden was in Santa Barbara, a historic name in the world of "progressive" and "experimental" music, and a person that was unafraid to play all the things that no one else had an ear, or could make sense of it. Somehow, the way they exposed it, made sense and all of a sudden ... it is not only listenable, it is enjoyable and fun! And a lot of it, specially in the early days, was just turning a knob slowly ... so to speak ... to extend the effect ... no one even TRIES to do anything like it these days, because they are not into the "sound" of it all ... just some over done idea of what music is supposed to be!

Hopefully I can hear some more and will look at Archie's site ... but his lack of response is sad for me ... just when we all need to be together and have a cup of tea ... and toast each other's ... artistic freedoms!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2019 at 08:07
You definitely did not hear the specific show...That one really is only an hour long.  Maybe a misunderstanding of the timing?  The link goes to the station, essentially, but not necessarily to Archie's show that I was referring to.

I can send you an mp3 of the specific show if you would like, let me know.

I know he's pretty inundated with life/work etc, sometimes we get more lax in response when demands on our time are high.  I'm sure it's unintended, he's a very kind person.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2019 at 13:53
I see that I misread the timing of the Sunday shows, I was thinking there were 2, he was just giving East and Left Coast times.  Here is a link for future with the correct first and repeat (once only) times:

Friday 7PM (Pacific Time) 10PM (Eastern Time USA)

Post Reply Post Reply