Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What was the first "modern" prog rock album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What was the first "modern" prog rock album?
    Posted: April 23 2019 at 16:08
By modern I don't mean it has to be avant garde or be a "crossover" prog album. So to avoid confusion and to explain what I mean here are a few qualifications: 

Preferably from a band who was formed after the golden age of prog(ie post 70's). At the very least the album(s) should have come out after 1977.

Album cannot be too retro sounding (so it can be influenced by the old prog to a degree but can't sound too much like them. In other words you can't say to yourself "oh this sounds like Genesis" or "this sounds like Yes" when listening to it). So this would pretty much eliminate any neo prog album(sorry and I like a lot of neo prog but it's too retro sounding to be "modern"). 

That's about it. 

So which albums would you consider to be contenders for this title?

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 24 2019 at 15:36
tailings View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tailings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2019 at 16:14
First thing that comes to mind, especially meeting the criteria of not cloning early styles & being 'rock', is Mr. Bungle _Mr. Bungle_, though I'm sure something will have preceded it.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2019 at 17:32
I would go with This Heat - Deceit, Dun - Eros or Cardiacs - The Seaside

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2019 at 17:35
Cardiacs are probably a good choice. I was also thinking something by Djam Karet maybe. 

The one that first came to my mind was the first Echolyn album(self titled)from 1991. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2019 at 18:05
^ I'd second Echolyn

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2019 at 18:15
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ I'd second Echolyn

Great minds think alike. Tongue

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2019 at 18:25
I need some more from them, only own Suffocating the Bloom

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2019 at 19:10
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I need some more from them, only own Suffocating the Bloom

Well, I don't want to get too off topic here but I will just say that the first album is very good(although maybe a bit rough production wise). However, typically aside from suffocating the one you need to get next is as the world. A lot of people like mei  also but I think maybe they bit off a bit more than they could chew on that one(one 45 minute track or however long it is). It makes for good listening for long car rides though. It's still worth checking out regardless though. Also, I never even thought of using italics for titles before so thanks for the idea. Wink

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 23 2019 at 19:11
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2019 at 19:30
^ Standard practice for titles of albums, films, books, but not of individual tracks, episodes or chapters: those are in quotes.

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2019 at 19:33
I would go with echolyn but other than its a bit late for post 70's in 91. Djam Karet are a better pick in 82. How about Ozric Tentacles in 85?
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2019 at 19:44
Djam Karet's first album was in 85. The releases before that were under the name Happy Cancer. I believe Ozric's first full length non cassette release was in 89 and was Pungent Effulgent. 

I would also like to mention seasons end  by Marillion which was their first album with H(Steve Hogarth) in 1989. The Fish stuff was probably too retro sounding to be truly modern(although I suppose an argument could be made for CAS) but I think seasons end  qualifies. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 23 2019 at 19:45
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2019 at 19:49
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Djam Karet are a better pick in 82. How about Ozric Tentacles in 85?

'84 for Djam Karet (first album, No Commercial Potential, in '85). 

Ozric Tentacles formed in '83. 

But whereas the Ozrics were surfing the waves of the Hillage-Gong mothership, Djam Karet was forging a unique sound.

Both are two of my favorite bands, but I've always ranked DK above OT.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2019 at 20:10
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I would go with echolyn but other than its a bit late for post 70's in 91. Djam Karet are a better pick in 82. How about Ozric Tentacles in 85?
I agree. Djam Karet or the Ozric Tentacles are a better pick than Echolyn.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2019 at 20:46
And if it weren't for my rules that it can't be a 70's band the album shown on my avatar might be a contender. :P
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2019 at 21:04
I'd say Marillion, Cardiacs, Dun, Solaris, Thinking Plague, Shub-Niggurath, Twelfth Night, IQ are all contenders. It just depends who formed closes to January 1st, 1980!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2019 at 22:31
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

And if it weren't for my rules that it can't be a 70's band the album shown on my avatar might be a contender. :P

Drama by Yes might also be a contender also and so might PG 3(melt). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 23 2019 at 22:35
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2019 at 22:33
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I'd say Marillion, Cardiacs, Dun, Solaris, Thinking Plague, Shub-Niggurath, Twelfth Night, IQ are all contenders. It just depends who formed closes to January 1st, 1980!

Well, like I said in my original post neo prog tends to be too retro sounding. However, that didn't really apply to Twelfth Night so much so they might certainly qualify imo. 
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2019 at 22:57
Saga with debute st from 1978 and Images at Twilight

Edited by Icarium - April 23 2019 at 22:57
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2019 at 00:36
^ I was gonna say Saga too but they didn't seem to fit the OP's criteria.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2019 at 01:03
I think in different ways albums such as Talk Talk - The Color of Spring and Metallica - Master of Puppets has had a huge impact on modern sounding progressive rock.

If it wasn't for the formed post 1980's rule here I'd say the approach heard on those early RIO-albums by Univers Zero has had much bigger impact on the flood of avant-bands than the modest popularity of the ensemble suggests.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>