Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big jumps in the top 100 prog albums?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big jumps in the top 100 prog albums?
    Posted: April 23 2019 at 22:16
I havent been using this site for THAT long but I noticed in the past day some albums have had massive jumps, leftoverture went from not even being on the list to being in the 93rd spot and silence to somewhere dropped from 20 to 32. Anyone explanation?
LakeGlade12 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeGlade12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2019 at 04:06
There have been other huge shifts as well. SW's Raven and HCE have dropped drastically (especially the latter which has moved from 4.30 to 4.27 with no new reviews). Wonder what is going on?
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2019 at 06:11
I guess it all depends on what the criteria is for an album to be on the list. I suspect whatever it is, shifts are bound to happen, specially when it is subjected to people's opinions.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2019 at 07:24
I usually don't look at that chart. I thought it had been removed from the home page.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2019 at 08:28
Newer released always start off "hot" like that Wobbler LP. In five years it will probably not even make the Top 100. And there seems to be a lot of volatility in the 90-110 range for some reason.
LakeGlade12 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeGlade12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2019 at 01:06
And now it has all changed back to normal. Someone playing with the album weighting equations in the background maybe?Confused
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2019 at 21:09
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Newer released always start off "hot" like that Wobbler LP. In five years it will probably not even make the Top 100. And there seems to be a lot of volatility in the 90-110 range for some reason.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. A few PT and Steven Wilson albums are still in the top 100 so my guess is that the Wobbler and possibly even All Traps on Earth will still be in the top 100 3-5 years from now. Of course I could be wrong but it seems like there's always going to be a few "newer"(as in post 70's)albums that squeak in with the seasoned classics. A few older examples would be albums by Bacamarte, Anglagard, Marillion, Rush's moving pictures  and Dream Theater's images and words. There might even be one or two others I'm forgetting not counting the aforementioned SW and PT. Aside from the DT I'm not even counting the several prog metal albums in the top 100 that are from the past 25-30 years or so with some being much more recent.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 01 2019 at 21:16
 Post Reply Post Reply