Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why do we ask if it's prog or not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why do we ask if it's prog or not?
    Posted: April 27 2019 at 15:56
Mike Orvis has a nice little piece on Prog magazine's blog. He asks, "Why are prog fans obsessed with whether it's prog or not?"

https://www.loudersound.com/features/blog-why-are-prog-fans-obsessed-with-whether-its-prog-or-not

I think he really hits the nail on the head with this:

(I)f it feels like the music transcends what you consider ‘normal’ or ‘mainstream’, then the likelihood is that, yes, it’s prog.

What does everyone else think?

PROGMATIC
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2019 at 16:15
Well this is a prog website after all. It's not allmusic. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2019 at 18:15
 Ha-ha.Did you even bother to read past the headline?
PROGMATIC
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2019 at 18:29
Maybe because no one knows the answer ~

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2019 at 19:14
Personally, I like prog, but also other types of music. My main objective is to listen to something pleasant/interesting/fun, so if it's prog or not, it doesn't really matter to me.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2019 at 19:33
I honestly don't care what kind of music the music I like is

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2019 at 19:33
Because you have to be able to tell the difference between Neil Young and Yes when going through the Y's at the record store. :D Or King Crimson and the Kinks. Or Pink Floyd and Pink. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2019 at 19:56
I love a lot of stuff that's considered prog. Mirage by Camel. The Power and the Glory by GG. Certainly Snow by SB. Oh, MDK by Magma(my go to meditation album). Lots of Zappa, he seems to be considered prog on here. Love Caravan, Saga..

But I listen to a lot of other stuff too(already handed in the prog card sorry).. Early Beatles, 70s Kiss, Steely Dan, solo Collins, T Rex, Wishbone Ash, even some Bach/Mozart sometimes. I just like what I like.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 02:08
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

I love a lot of stuff that's considered prog. Mirage by Camel. The Power and the Glory by GG. Certainly Snow by SB. Oh, MDK by Magma(my go to meditation album). Lots of Zappa, he seems to be considered prog on here. Love Caravan, Saga..

But I listen to a lot of other stuff too(already handed in the prog card sorry).. Early Beatles, 70s Kiss, Steely Dan, solo Collins, T Rex, Wishbone Ash, even some Bach/Mozart sometimes. I just like what I like.
I'm on almost the same binaries, except for Collins. I can't stand his pop stuff. I like only Face Value
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 06:05
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I honestly don't care what kind of music the music I like is

Thanks you!

I LISTEN TO MUSIC ... NOT ANYONE'S DEFINITION OF WHATEVER THEY THINK IT IS .... (so tired of these pissing contests ... that someone has the proof and idea they know one thing better than another!)

...While there have been some absolutely fascinating discussions, there is one question that has raised its ugly head time and time again: 

‘Is [insert band name] prog?’

Which is what socio-economics do in many schools across the country ... you can not be an individual and have to be a part of the bigger (supposedly well studied!) whole that makes up society ... you are just a number in that study, and can not be any different!

The question itself, is not necessary, any more than ... what religion do you check in on each Sunday? Or what is your preference when it comes to sex?

These are un-necessary questions in regards to meeting something new or different ... ohh, excuse me, are you a Martian? Venusian, maybe? 

In other words ... questions that we have, in the first place, misrepresented the music and turned it into something that it is not (most is copycat formulaic crap!), and now the kid thinks that there is a brand new something he/she can relate to so they can stand up/out away from his parents or "friends".

The whole notion is so simplistic and generalized that it is sick ... and takes away anyone's ability to  create something different, which according to those socio-economics is impossible, because you have  to be a part of the numbers ... how well I remember one of these studies at UCSB, and all of us in the Theater Department that threw their stupid questions and study off ... you know what they did? Our answers were dropped and dumped! A whole department of weirdo's!

That's a socio-economics group?

Bullcrap! 

The same for the answer to the question, and if someone asks that, we need to help them understand music better ... not create a new fantasy, that no one will ever be able to follow or understand!

Edited by moshkito - April 28 2019 at 06:17
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 08:46
All genre labels are artificial and imprecise, but they're useful for practical purposes. So it makes sense to have the odd discussion about this, although "is XXX really prog?" is a confused way of framing it, because ultimately the relevant question is "will it be useful or rather misleading to group XXX here/together with YYY?". The author of the Blog writes: "At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter if no one else but you thinks a band is prog or not, because for you that band is special, transcendent, and evokes emotion. That’s what prog really is, friends." I disagree. If for me a band is special, transcendent, and evokes emotion, it doesn't need any label; whether it's prog or not is only relevant for communication and discussion, which is between people. So for that question it totally matters what others think.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 09:28
Probably the same reason that you chose the name progmatic instead of musicmatic Big smile

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
The Son of Gorp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Son of Gorp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 09:34
I wholeheartedly agree, Lewian.

The claim that prog is whatever you find "special, transcendent" is utterly strange to me. It implies that what's prog at one point is not prog at another, based on your emotions towards the material. I've only recently begun to like Gentle Giant, but that does not mean I am just now considering them to be prog. For as long as I have known them, I have thought of them as prog. What happens if I stop liking King Crimson? They would certainly remain progressive in my mind.
When Da Zeuhl Wortz Mekanik, you just know.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 09:39
I'm interested in what is Prog, and what are the possible limits of it, mostly for this site's classification purposes. At Prog Archives we are supposed to archive Prog and Prog umbrella/ Prog related music. It's important for many to be able to explain and argue for why they think that an act is fit for inclusion or exclusion from the Archives.

I tend to think of Prog as unconventional rock or unconventional rock-related music, as well as there being "conventional and unconventional Prog".   In a bigger prog and prog related umbrella, I will move outside rock as well even if Prog stands for progressive rock as long as I associate it enough with kinds of music in the Archives.

"...if it feels like the music transcends what you consider ‘normal’ or ‘mainstream’, then the likelihood is that, yes, it’s prog."

That's rather how I think, but particularly when it comes to music with a rock element. There's weird sh** throughout the music multiverse.

"Prog doesn’t care that you didn’t like Mikael Åkerfeldt when he sounded like a lion." And when he doesn't sound like a lion presumably.

A related discussion that comes up a lot is: "Can music be Prog without being progressive?" To which I say yes, but also as a corollary there is the "what is progressive?" angle, since the term can be used in more than one way.

I don't consider myself to be a Prog fan. I love lots of music, much of which can fall under a greater Prog umbrella, or is Prog related in some way.   When it comes to Prog, I am functionally more of a big-tenter than many. I hear music that I can clearly relate to prog which some others will insist has nothing to do with Prog. Such conversations can be quite surreal, confusing, and frustrating. While different people do not hear the same music quite the same way since it's all being filtered and interpreted by different brains, and we make different musical associations (I have found evaluations for inclusion to be a highly associative exercise), sometimes people literally are not referring to the same pieces of music or albums by the artists (of course one should try to focus on the most relevant of music). Music can be dismissed as non-Prog and accepted as Prog-proper too quickly -- while there is a subjective element to it, it's not all subjective.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 12:39
If you are new to this music, or new to PA or simply exploring different styles of music, then the question is highly relevant to your discussions. You WANT to know what is prog or not, it is only natural.

If you have been listening to this music as long as someone like me has, the question has little meaning anymore. You quickly realize it's simply about liking this style of music, which will also lead you into exploring other genres and styles....If anything that to me is "prog". This music came from different styles and a desire to explore and expand from the artists perspective, that's progressive thinking, again that to me is where the "prog" comes into play. What ultimately ends up on the record or CD may be a different story and discussion.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 15:27
I guess someone might be trying to define themselves as a “prog fan” by claiming to only listen to or like “prog music” and feeling a bit worried they might be inadvertently listening to something else.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 15:59
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

Mike Orvis has a nice little piece on Prog magazine's blog. He asks, "Why are prog fans obsessed with whether it's prog or not?"

https://www.loudersound.com/features/blog-why-are-prog-fans-obsessed-with-whether-its-prog-or-not

I think he really hits the nail on the head with this:

(I)f it feels like the music transcends what you consider ‘normal’ or ‘mainstream’, then the likelihood is that, yes, it’s prog.

What does everyone else think?
Others may obsess all they want about "prog or not" for all I care. I'm just glad I'm not the nail to be hit on the head in question here. I think I know the meaning behind both the main term and neighbouring terms describing most of the music in question quite well. But I'm personally indifferent as to whether something is prog or not. I'm just visiting this place because I happen to like a lot of music some other people have decided to lump into the broadest version of the progressive rock-definition.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 16:10
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

I'm on almost the same binaries, except for Collins. I can't stand his pop stuff. I like only Face Value

Face Value is great. As far as his 'pop stuff' how can you not love this? Come on now.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 17:32
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

If you are new to this music, or new to PA or simply exploring different styles of music, then the question is highly relevant to your discussions. You WANT to know what is prog or not, it is only natural.

If you have been listening to this music as long as someone like me has, the question has little meaning anymore. You quickly realize it's simply about liking this style of music, which will also lead you into exploring other genres and styles....If anything that to me is "prog". This music came from different styles and a desire to explore and expand from the artists perspective, that's progressive thinking, again that to me is where the "prog" comes into play. What ultimately ends up on the record or CD may be a different story and discussion.

Right. Being that there are a growing number of prog fans(especially younger fans)this is a question that will probably never go away anytime soon. However, with google and search engines and wikipedia it's really not necessary. All you have to do is be familiar with the concept, listen to what is considered prog rock and then the rest will fall into place. It will always ultimately be up to personal interpretation but it's unlikely that even someone who is just starting out with prog and has done some searching online about it will come to the conclusion that the Ramones or the Backstreet Boys are prog.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 28 2019 at 17:33
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 18:11
^ Yes but Madonna and Lady Gaga are prog
Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>