Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why do we ask if it's prog or not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 18:23
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ Yes but Madonna and Lady Gaga are prog
Big smile

Well, in that case we may as well just call everything prog. LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 19:49
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Big smile

I agree....better than calling it all disco
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 20:01

Big smile

I agree....better than calling it all disco

Disco-prog. Is that a sub-genre? Maybe it should be.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2019 at 07:39

If you are new to this music, or new to PA or simply exploring different styles of music, then the question is highly relevant to your discussions. You WANT to know what is prog or not, it is only natural.

I agree to a point ... however, even the definition of "prog" or "progressive" anything is so far out of line with music (in general) that the distortion makes you/others think that there is something here when there really isn't.

The main problem with this definition is that some folks are not "music listeners", as much as they are "sound listeners" and "fans", and that has never been a good definition of music in its history, although the last half of the 20th century changed in that sales numbers, all of a sudden became the norm for what is supposedly good/bad/stupid and number 1!

The question, without a proper definition, is a bad question ... and the person asking is simply asking it because some friend, or publication, said it was progressive! Again, the person asking, is not even interested in a definition ... only checking if he is going to like this next group or not!

I wouldn't want to blow the guy off the board, but I do believe that it would be a good idea for us to concern ourselves with making sure the guy knows and understands what "prog" or "progressive" really is, otherwise the question is silly!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2019 at 08:19
When PA welcomes Talking Heads but not XTC it kinda makes the question completely meaningless, subjective and utterly arbitrary. So be it. I know what's PROG!!!
tailings View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tailings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2019 at 08:30
Labels are convenient, right up until that point when you've taken home a Heavy Metal album but then realize upon first listen that Winger >really< sucks.

Labels serve only as starting points to give a rough indication about what to expect.  It's like saying Canada is north of Texas.  Knowing that you won't end up in Peru, but it doesn't tell you Nebraska and Greenland are also north of TX, nor anything about Canada other than its approximate location.

And so it is with music.  I listen to a lot of drone music, a vague and ambiguous term if I ever there was.  Troum is often labelled as drone, despite the fact that their take on ambience is often tribal and rhythmic.  Not to my taste.  And then there's a whole slew of Stoner Rock that is considered drone by many, despite the fact that it is anything but.  Somewhere along the way distortion got mixed up with drone.  I know well enough that just because someone has tagged a 'drone' label on it, doesn't mean I'm going to like it and it certainly doesn't mean it will actually drone.

PA is proof enough of this concept.  If I tell you it's prog, you can be reasonably confident you won't be hearing Garth Brooks or Witney Houston but that still leaves a pretty wide set of options.

Edited by tailings - April 29 2019 at 08:32
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2019 at 08:37
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

When PA welcomes Talking Heads but not XTC it kinda makes the question completely meaningless, subjective and utterly arbitrary. So be it. I know what's PROG!!!

The Talking Heads are here under prog related which might be(at least in part) because Adrian Belew played with them. XTC aren't in here but the Tubes aren't either and neither are the Grateful Dead or the Allman Brothers. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2019 at 15:05
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Yep.....well said.

But as to the OP topic....I just like prog rock the best...but I also like XTC, Beatles, Stones, Joni Mitchell, Humble Pie, BB King, Allman Bros, ...etc....

Edited by dr wu23 - April 29 2019 at 15:06
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2019 at 04:37
Best to keep it to the most likely and obvious idea of prog - symphonic rock. Or orchestral rock. Yes there are all sorts of off shoots but if you want to explain to a contemporary, rapidly disappearing attention span (of the ordinaries as opposed to we elites) keep it simple and straightforward. This is always good until you get to Progarchives where this tedious simplification can be dispensed with and true obfuscation may obscure the clouds...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2019 at 07:00

Big smile

Except 2/3's of the metal that has been listed as prog! I would like to just unplug it so people can see that the musicianship behind it is ... probably very high school'ish! Specially the drumming!

)... remember I'm a member of the tin drum syndromme ...I can't grow up past 5 years old ...(
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Erenan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erenan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2019 at 11:42
I don't know much about the history of prog being called prog.

I seem to recall that there was some desire for exclusivity in the heavy metal fandom, like "no, this is not real metal" or "no, you are a fake, this is not metal" or "I don't like this, it doesn't correspond with sufficient closeness to my mental model of what qualifies as metal for me to be allowed to like it" and so on.

Is/was there perhaps a thread of prog fandom which was motivated by something like "prog is better because it has more/different notes than your plain ol' boring music, and so I have to erect walls to clearly delineate what counts as 'inside' and 'outside' so that I can know which music to look down my nose at and which to nod and smile at"? (I'm not saying this is accurate or the right perspective)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2019 at 20:13
'prog rock' is not a term of endearment and was coined as a put down anyway. I often joke about it with work colleagues but I'm not even sure what they think it is. As for what we listen to . Well at some point I'm willing to guess that everyone on here at some point just got fed up with popular driven music radio with its mass produced crap and wanted something different. I would also dispute that anyone is obsessed with what is prog or not. I like Enya and really don't care if that doesn't go down well because she isn't edgy. Just don't give a f**k really.
Erenan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erenan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2019 at 21:29
Yeah, Enya is probably the music with the fewest rough edges possible.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 00:08
Personally I think Lindisfarne"s Dingly Dell is one of the greatest albums I've ever listened to. If I was to rate it against the top Prog Rock top 100 list I would place it somewhere in the teens. That's before we get to Beach Boys Pet Sounds and the Kink's Face to Face and The Rolling Stones, Aftermath. At the end of the day does it really matter? An album is a great album irrespective of how we classify it and if we go to extremes in trying to classify it we become musical snobs.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 15:04
Style definitions can be very useful in order to determine the difference between one kind of music and another. However they can never be precise, and for me as a listener it is not very significant what lable people choose to put on a certain piece of music. Most artists are mixing different style elements into their music anyway, which also changes (well, except it's AC/DC).

This is also why I, as a relative newcomer here, find these subgenres rather unnecessary: symphonic prog, eclectic prog, folk prog etc. I don't quite understand the need to put everything in boxes. As for Pink Floyd f.e., they are labelled psychedelic/space rock, but that reall only makes sense to their 1960's work. Plus, I don't think I have ever heard terms like 'eclectic prog' anywhere else.

Edited by The Anders - May 24 2019 at 15:04
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 17:18
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Personally I think Lindisfarne"s Dingly Dell is one of the greatest albums I've ever listened to. If I was to rate it against the top Prog Rock top 100 list I would place it somewhere in the teens. That's before we get to Beach Boys Pet Sounds and the Kink's Face to Face and The Rolling Stones, Aftermath. At the end of the day does it really matter? An album is a great album irrespective of how we classify it and if we go to extremes in trying to classify it we become musical snobs.

and the amazing thing with Dingly Dell is that it was regarded as a big disappointment at the time, and brought about the fall of Lindisfarne from which they never recovered.  From the sensation of 1971 to also rans, just like that, and for no good reason I can think of.  But no it's not prog...for the most part  Tongue
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 17:24
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Style definitions can be very useful in order to determine the difference between one kind of music and another. However they can never be precise, and for me as a listener it is not very significant what lable people choose to put on a certain piece of music. Most artists are mixing different style elements into their music anyway, which also changes (well, except it's AC/DC).

This is also why I, as a relative newcomer here, find these subgenres rather unnecessary: symphonic prog, eclectic prog, folk prog etc. I don't quite understand the need to put everything in boxes. As for Pink Floyd f.e., they are labelled psychedelic/space rock, but that reall only makes sense to their 1960's work. Plus, I don't think I have ever heard terms like 'eclectic prog' anywhere else.

Labels are useful to me, but I want more of them, and I want each album to have not only its own labels, but multi-labels.

Unfortunately the way we categorise artists, and have to have all of the albums under the same category, is not at all ideal.  It would be much better to have album multi-genre tagging.  At rateyourmusic, on the main Pink Floyd page it says: Genres

Piper at the Gates of Dawn is tagged as:
And The Wall as: 

Symphonic Rock

I want more classification with more descriptors rather than less, and would like to easily be able to search for albums using fields for various album style labels at PA.  For instance, in Prog Folk I've generally been most interested in the Psychedelic Folk album releases.  I might want to search for albums tagged with Avant, Electronic, Psych, and Jazz specifically (in other words, when searching for an album that is tagged with Avant, Electronic, Psych, and Jazz and has all of those specific characteristics).

As for Eclectic Prog, that was  a PA invention used when Art Rock was split into Crossover Prog, Heavy prog and Eclectic Prog.   I have subsequently seen it used elsewhere.  Eclectic Prog has been intended for acts that combine several Prog category styles without leaning strongly to one of them, but it's quite the mishmash and obviously overlaps with other categories (Avant Prog is another very eclectic category, as is Crossover).  

I find boxes useful for searching for albums.  For instance, I'm into RIO, Zeuhl, Krautrock and Canterbury Scene, and much Progressive Electronic, Indo-Prog/Raga Rock, types of JRF, and types of Prog Folk, but I'm not into Neo-Prog or Prog Metal generally, or "AOR" kinds of Prog generally, so I would tend to limit my searches to the kinds of Prog that I'm into (and would like to exclude the kind of music I'm not into).  Even if it's not precise, it's still quite useful to me, and it would be more useful if the albums were multi-tagged.  Having categories can also help with team work, but can also make more work, especially when acts get ping-ponged.  That ping-ponging happens shows how imprecise things can be (lots of acts could fit various categories, have specific albums that would best fit different categories, and specific albums that could fit various categories....)

Edited by Logan - May 24 2019 at 18:57
Just a fanboy passin' through.
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeepingElf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2019 at 10:06
Because I feel that genre classifications are (or should be; they are not always) useful guidelines to finding music one would probably like. So if someone tells me that a band does prog, I conclude that it is worth giving a try (not that I'd automatically like it; there is some prog that I don't like much - prog can be bland and mediocre - and these days there is quite some music that is labelled "prog rock" but I don't get what is prog about it). Of course, there is music I like that isn't prog, but when I read that band XY does, for instance, blackened death metal (or gangsta rap or EBM), I know that I probably won't like their music, and can discard it beforehand.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2019 at 10:36
I remember the good old days when you turned on the radio and heard prog rock, rock, blues, pop, synthpop, soul, new wave and disco all on the same station. It helped develop musical sensibilities. Now everything seems a bit pigeonholed. In some ways, it's great to be able to find music related to certain genres. In other ways, it's tough on musicians because you might get voted out of PA simply for deciding to record that one synthpop song. Suddenly, despite having 2/3 of your repertoire being prog, you're worried that you might be kicked out for "straying outside the limits." At least the Eclectic Prog category helps mitigate this a bit. But, where do you draw the line? Then, you have some folks who think true prog ended sometime in the 1970s with the onset of punk. Not me. I think prog lives on, but not necessarily in the same form as before. I think it is important to keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out. I love the fierce debate about Gary Numan and Devo. Geddy Lee wore a Devo button and talked about how fresh Talking Heads were back in the day. I won't tell you if they are prog or not. If you like Tales From Topographic Oceans, you'll probably say no. If you like Vital Signs or Through the Camera Eye, you might say yes. Be nice, be respectful, and try to be fair in this balancing act.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2019 at 01:06
If you can dance to it without looking like a lunatic scarecrow on columbian marching powder then its not prog...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>