Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Arrakis, Attente, Seppia, Prolegomenes, Isis

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Do you have a favourite of these tracks?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [14.29%]
3 [21.43%]
5 [35.71%]
2 [14.29%]
1 [7.14%]
1 [7.14%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arrakis, Attente, Seppia, Prolegomenes, Isis
    Posted: April 28 2019 at 13:26
When I first started to really delve deeply into "Proggy" (yeah, I said proggy) music before I joined this site, these were five tracks that had a significant impact on me.

I don't expect very much interest, but do you have a favourite of these?

GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 13:42
Zeuhl was your sh*t wasn´t it? Did you knew it was called Zeuhl back then?
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 13:52
Is Vortex Fusion or Canterbury? There is this kind of hypnotic Zeuhl like effect in each of these, although they aren´t all Zeuhl, the jazz one is very coltrane, maybe thats why. Like them all but the Vortex one is a positive surprise. the cabaret part (maybe polka elements??) is especially entertaining. A lot of Zappa actually, so my guess is Canterbury now.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 14:07
Originally posted by GrafHaarschnitt GrafHaarschnitt wrote:

Zeuhl was your sh*t wasn´t it? Did you knew it was called Zeuhl back then?

Yeah, I'd already come across the name Zeuhl, but hadn't explored it deeply yet at the time.

Originally posted by GrafHaarschnitt GrafHaarschnitt wrote:

Is Vortex Fusion or Canterbury? There is this kind of hypnotic Zeuhl like effect in each of these, although they aren´t all Zeuhl, the jazz one is very coltrane, maybe thats why. Like them all but the Vortex one is a positive surprise. the cabaret part (maybe polka elements??) is especially entertaining. A lot of Zappa actually, so my guess is Canterbury now.

I could call Vortez Zeuhl, RIO/ Avant-Prog, Jazz-Rock, Canterburyesque, chamber prog fusion. PA classifies it as RIO/Avant, but it can fit various labels across its two albums.

Edited by Logan - April 28 2019 at 14:08
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 14:31
They are all incredible, and much like Logan I've obsessed with all of these bands/albums/tunes in one way or another. As I've grown a little softer over the years I think I may end up voting for the tune and band that impressed me the least back when I discovered all these. Zao - Isis has got enough bite and darkly tinged atmosphere, but it also contains a certain orange/brownish, glowing or radiating 1970's warmth that I find soothing - and have a strong craving for these days.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 15:06
Ay! After a month of mainly Pink Floyd vs Yes vs Genesis and old polls coming up again here's another great song poll. This one is even better for me than the Cardiacs one, not because Cardiacs could be beaten on quality, but rather because I only knew Dun out of these and actually all are great, so thanks for some new discoveries.
On first listening I'd probably rank Vortex fifth and Zao fourth (although I can hear what Saperlipopette likes about this, maybe in the right mood this could be the one to go to). The other three are hard to rank, all so good! Hmmm, I think I won't vote for Dun because the other two are discoveries so right now I'm more excited about them. OK, I'll give it to Eskaton... this makes me think of the fuss about All Traps On Earth - good album that, I bought it on the glowing reviews and a bit of test listening, however this Eskaton stuff could have deserved those same reviews and ratings even more as far as I'm concerned, although I accept that they can be seen as somewhat more derivative of Magma than ATOE is of anything. Picchio dal Pozzo is very cool, too. There are a few very short moments in this that make me like it less than Eskaton but actually it's a wild beast that is worthy of all attention, too. (Canterbury? OK I can see why, but there's some edge about this that I don't find in much Canterbury stuff.)   

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 15:26
Vortex just over PDP
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 23:07
Voted Dun!!!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2019 at 07:12
My vote goes to Seppia.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2019 at 17:45
Very interesting songs!!!

I need time to decide what is my favorite, so, I cant vote - for now.

It's remarkable, Logan, that you have chosen songs with similar length: 9-10-11 minutes.

"Happiness is real only when shared"
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2019 at 01:28
I'm undecided between Dun and Eskaton
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2019 at 10:13
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Very interesting songs!!!

I need time to decide what is my favorite, so, I cant vote - for now.

It's remarkable, Logan, that you have chosen songs with similar length: 9-10-11 minutes.

It shows a certain bias that I had in terms of track length at the time in terms of sampling music before getting the full albums, as well as some bias from my sources. I discovered all of these in the days of internet access not that long before I joined this site, which is when I started to deeply delve into the kinds of progressive music that Prog Archives highlights. It was only in 2003 that I really started going down that rabbit hole and over the next few years I was a pretty obsessive collector. Also, I would imagine that I associated these particular four tracks because they are of similar length despite seemingly not giving these choices much thought at the time of making the poll -- there was a ton of music that I discovered and loved at around the same time.

All of these albums are very worth hearing in whole, I think. A track like "Seppia" is more "out there" than the rest of the album. I love PdP's Canterbury stylings.

Here are the tracklists of the whole albums:

Dün Eros (band listed in PA under Zeuhl)

1. L'Epice (9:25)
2. Arrakis (9:36)
3. Bitonio (7:09)
4. Eros (10:17)

Eskaton - 4 Visions (band listed in PA under Zeuhl)

1. Eskaton (10:24)
2. Attente (10:12)
3. Ecoute (13:00)
4. Pitie (8:44)

Picchio dal Pozzo - Picchio dal Pozzo (band listed in PA under Canterbury)

1. Merta (3:18)
2. Cocomelastico (4:23)
3. Seppia (10:16)
- a) Sottotitolo
- b) Frescofresco
- c) Rusf
4. Bofonchia (0:51)
5. Napier (7:23)
6. La Floricultura di Tschincinnata (4:22)
7. La Bolla (4:29)
8. Off (4:49)

Vortex - Les Cycles de Thanatos (band listed in PA under RIO/Avant-Prog)

1. God Is Good for You, John (4:28)
2. Prolegomenes (11:43)
3. Les Cycles De Thanatos (25:16)

Just for fun, a silly mini-review of Vortex - Les Cycles de Thanatos.

Imagine yourself sitting in a whirlpool bath while bicycles, motorcycles, tricycles, unicycles and popsicles glide by (belonging to Thanatos -- i.e. Death -- of course). Now imagine that you're being sucked into that whirlpool and drowning and you'll have amazingly little conception of what this album sounds like. The music is wonderfully progressive in how it builds, and shows fine compositional and instrumental skills. There is a repetitive nature to the music (the themes go in cycles) and it swirls about like a, well, like a vortex of course. It's an epic journey akin to lively traipsing over the hummock of light, then descending into the valley of darkness.

Edited by Logan - April 30 2019 at 12:14
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2019 at 15:08
I'm shocked there was never a parody band called the Zeuhly Ghoulies.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2019 at 09:04
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Just for fun, a silly mini-review of Vortex - Les Cycles de Thanatos.

Imagine yourself sitting in a whirlpool bath while bicycles, motorcycles, tricycles, unicycles and popsicles glide by (belonging to Thanatos -- i.e. Death -- of course). Now imagine that you're being sucked into that whirlpool and drowning and you'll have amazingly little conception of what this album sounds like. The music is wonderfully progressive in how it builds, and shows fine compositional and instrumental skills. There is a repetitive nature to the music (the themes go in cycles) and it swirls about like a, well, like a vortex of course. It's an epic journey akin to lively traipsing over the hummock of light, then descending into the valley of darkness.
Nice! Yes its an epic trip of a tune

You left out Zao -Osiris

1. Shardaz (4:48)
2. Isis (9:32)
3. Reinna (4:23)
4. Yog (8:05)
5. La Rhune (4:08)

-and when I looked it up I also stumbled over Syzrgy's review which has a nice description of my pick in the poll

...The stand out is Isis, which opens with some lovely ethnic percussion and flute before a smoky midtempo minor key groove kicks in and Seffer's gypsy soul shines through his solo, followed by Rigaud playing his electric violin through a variety of effects pedal before the whole thing ends as it began after almost 10 minutes...

Its no wonder I like it so much!
 Post Reply Post Reply