Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bruford gone from Spotify/Apple

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UncleWally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bruford gone from Spotify/Apple
    Posted: April 29 2019 at 16:28
Just noticed that the three Bruford studio albums have vanished off of the major streaming services and Itunes store.  Anyone know why?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2019 at 04:47
It's normally either a copyright thing or because the artist has chosen not to have their albums on streaming services.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2019 at 06:41
Originally posted by UncleWally UncleWally wrote:

Just noticed that the three Bruford studio albums have vanished off of the major streaming services and Itunes store.  Anyone know why?

My guess is that Spotify sent Bill a check for 3 months worth and it amounted to $1.54 cents, and then the next week he got one from Apple, and it amounted to $1.31 cents ... and on the next day newspaper, it said that the Apple Stock was up 17% and that their revenue for the past quarter was up 15% and they were 27% ahead of last year's numbers.

Progressive artistry thinking by Apple, I'm sure!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2019 at 15:05
That's why it's better to own the albums!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2019 at 15:15
^ was just gonna say
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2019 at 16:08
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by UncleWally UncleWally wrote:

My guess is that Spotify sent Bill a check for 3 months worth and it amounted to $1.54 cents, and then the next week he got one from Apple, and it amounted to $1.31 cents ... and on the next day newspaper, it said that the Apple Stock was up 17% and that their revenue for the past quarter was up 15% and they were 27% ahead of last year's numbers.

Progressive artistry thinking by Apple, I'm sure!

Of course the real question is: Is he going to see a sudden jump in CD sales now that he's off Spotify?

We all know digital distribution has been a pretty raw deal for musicians (when it really shouldn't be), but it would take someone a lot bigger than Bruford to fix.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2019 at 07:47
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Of course the real question is: Is he going to see a sudden jump in CD sales now that he's off Spotify?

We all know digital distribution has been a pretty raw deal for musicians (when it really shouldn't be), but it would take someone a lot bigger than Bruford to fix.

Hard to say ... I've read his Autobiography twice now, and still can not find a nice way to write about it, without feeling ... well ... attuned to the wrong point, or view.

Bill has the right to do as he sees fit, and if he is selling enough, he would not need Spotify or Apple ... which was the case for the Beatles with Apple ... guess who came over with huge offers? Spotify, is probably going to get in trouble sooner or later, for not handling folks properly ... by sharing money not based on its use, but based on Variety and other record company products to divide the money, which means that the lesser, and more independent artists are not going to get their fair share and more than likely they are selling more than a good third of the record company's folks ... but then, the record company is not stupid ... it will have a robot requesting a song 2 times per hour ... so a Bill Bruford request is not going to be there as many times, thus, he would likely not get a whole lot.

Bill states in his book that he is wanting to retire and simply enjoy life and smell the roses, and not have to deal with the whole dishonest side of that business that been a thorn on his side, that has taken away a lot of his energy to create such lively and different works every where he went.  That part is not appreciated at all ... and when you hear Rachel Flowers make sure that the little details that are not shown on the KC mixes and remixes at all, you can only smile and say ... wow ... that was cool ... but we didn't bother!

My thoughts, are the he might just close it all down, and no CD will ever be available again as long as he is alive. I find it crazy and silly, but the hope is that he has found something better to carry his work ... and we need to have a music Spotify JUST FOR JAZZ instead of it being buried in the middle of so many bands, that don't even do serious music.

But I think some folks will think I'm elitist ... it's the same thing for classical music ... Spotify and Apple are killing it, because the kids don't listen to the other stuff ... and the media makes it look like Beethoven now is just another minor composer in the 1920's that wrote a song for some black singer that no one knows or has heard!

Ohhhh, btw, breaking up a symphony into 5 songs ... instead of its 5 movements ... that ought to tell you how intelligent some of those services are ... it's not about the music ... it's about how much they can rip you off!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2019 at 12:08
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

That's why it's better to own the albums!

I agree!  It's hard to argue against holding a bunch of CDs in your hands! 

For all of the different music formats available, I'm still most partial to the CD.  Relying upon streaming services seams to be a fool's game.  

Maybe that works for Justin Bieber's music, but for prog....?

(Sorry, I haven't thrown a slam against Justin in a while!)
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2019 at 13:43
Good for Bill f**k Spotify
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
 Post Reply Post Reply