Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amazon Playlist

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredrikCoulter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amazon Playlist
    Posted: May 01 2019 at 11:31

You may need to either be an Amazon Prime customer or subscribe to their music service to listen to some of the songs.  But you should be able to see the list.

Personally I'd like to see a wider selection of times rather than the heavy emphasis on the 1970s.  But that's me.  I did find it interesting that they found live versions of some of the songs rather than the studio version.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2019 at 12:31
I think it's a good playlist for those new to the genre, but I think a lot of folks here already know most of the songs quite well.

Regarding live versions, it looks like King Crimson doesn't have any full studio albums on Amazon Music... guess they want people to get hooked on the live songs, and shell out for the CDs to hear the original versions.

I find it interesting that they used a single version of Tubular Bells rather than a whole side (like they did for Thick As A Brick and A Passion Play).
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 00:19
^ yep that really bugs me re KC . I did manage to import all their 70's seventies studio albums into my cloud library a while back but as from August this year all imported music is being removed from the Amazon cloud music player. That will decimate many artists that I have including Magenta who will also have very little available. Oh well it is what it is.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 06:54
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

I think it's a good playlist for those new to the genre, but I think a lot of folks here already know most of the songs quite well.

Regarding live versions, it looks like King Crimson doesn't have any full studio albums on Amazon Music... guess they want people to get hooked on the live songs, and shell out for the CDs to hear the original versions.

I find it interesting that they used a single version of Tubular Bells rather than a whole side (like they did for Thick As A Brick and A Passion Play).
I think KC's albums are coming to Spotify soon so I guess they might be on Amazon as well.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 07:19
Hi,

The only concern I have is that the list is totally Xenophobic and disrespectful in regards a lot of the European Community at large. I find it sad to not see Italians, French, Spanish and Germans in there, along with many others, specially considering their legacy in music is way much more extensive and older than the English version will EVER be.

It's just sad to see that lack of appreciation, and just because "AMAZON" put this list together to ensure that they can get more sales for those albums, all of which are fairly common sellers on their website, and probably the one place in the world where you can get them ... since places like Amazon UK are too stupid to ensure that a Visa or Master Card can be used to buy stuff on their website ... even the BBC is not willing to ensure that doesn't happen and sell more of what they have! 

(... you could say they have been doing brexsh*t for quite sometimes, hey? ... )
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 07:26
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

since places like Amazon UK are too stupid to ensure that a Visa or Master Card can be used to buy stuff on their website ...

I buy my stuff on Amazon UK using my Visa debit card. Pretty sure you can use credit cards as well.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 23:54
I like to haul my cattle to the Amazon market place and barter for the latest album. Cost me a 2yr old Heifer for Lonely Robot's latest album.Bloody Brexit.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2019 at 00:56

Hi,

The only concern I have is that the list is totally Xenophobic and disrespectful in regards a lot of the European Community at large.
I agree to an extent. But I'd be careful to throw around xenophobic and save it for actual fear and hatred. This is just your typical cultural ignorance.

For most of the 20th century UK and US has looked at music, movies and literature from non-english speaking parts of the world as foreign. But for some reason "we" never looked at english-speaking culture as foreign. Most places in the world have been force fed with the UK/US pop and rock but not... italian, spanish, japanese etc (and we have ourselves to blame for that). This has been slowly changing for a couple of decades and internet has done wonders opening up the world - for all of us.     

Both interestingly and uplifting user driven sites such as PA, RYM, Sputnikmusic have all got more including top 100's (although albums) than the one from Amazon. It shows that music listeners are actually more open minded and "modern" than whoever puts lists like this together. And I think its a general trend that the music journalists and experts haven't really grasped how listening habits of actual music fans have changed. The experts aren't what they once used to be, but its not about hate or fear - its just "old school".

Edited by Saperlipopette! - May 03 2019 at 01:27
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2019 at 04:12
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I like to haul my cattle to the Amazon market place and barter for the latest album. Cost me a 2yr old Heifer for Lonely Robot's latest album.Bloody Brexit.

LOL
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2019 at 07:46
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Hi,

since places like Amazon UK are too stupid to ensure that a Visa or Master Card can be used to buy stuff on their website ...

I buy my stuff on Amazon UK using my Visa debit card. Pretty sure you can use credit cards as well.

For 10 years, I can not get a single GOON SHOW, Peter Sellers CD's or Spike Milligan material that only the BBC UK provides. The Amazon UK refuses the debit card, and has for 10 years, and they will not discuss the issue and will not reply and give a merde about it. 

How brexit is that, hey?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2019 at 10:03

Hi,

For 10 years, I can not get a single GOON SHOW, Peter Sellers CD's or Spike Milligan material that only the BBC UK provides. The Amazon UK refuses the debit card, and has for 10 years, and they will not discuss the issue and will not reply and give a merde about it. 

How brexit is that, hey?

Can you copy the ASIN article number from Amazon UK into your country’s Amazon and buy it through there?
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2019 at 15:04
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

Can you copy the ASIN article number from Amazon UK into your country’s Amazon and buy it through there?

Tried it once already ... invalid information, no such item.

I have a feeling that the BBC wants to keep/maintain their exclusive 100% rights so they can get all the money and not spare a nickel. After all, isn't that what Brexit is all about?
www.pedrosena.com
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2019 at 23:22
I’m not sure how the BBC operates outside the UK but have found a load of Goon Show episodes on archive.org. They’ll play if you click them or you can download them as MP3s in case they disappear again.

The Goon Show

Edited by 2dogs - May 04 2019 at 23:23
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2019 at 10:24

I’m not sure how the BBC operates outside the UK but have found a load of Goon Show episodes on archive.org. They’ll play if you click them or you can download them as MP3s in case they disappear again.

The Goon Show

Thanks ... that will help, but I have over 125 of the shows and it is the missing bunch that are really hard to get to .... I have a couple of them on old cassettes (now on mp3 because the cassettes are done) ... and the quality is bad (off Australia and other places), and trying to find a clean version has been an issue ... and the early stuff is even worse ... there are shows from 1954, their first full season, and yet, some of those are not available, although some of the shows were redone later. Also, the Michael Bentine stuff is not available for some reason, which is strange ... I'm sure that the BBC has the master tapes of it, and not releasing it is sad, and unfair to the family!
www.pedrosena.com
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2019 at 22:08

The Goon Show

Thanks ... that will help, but I have over 125 of the shows and it is the missing bunch that are really hard to get to .... I have a couple of them on old cassettes (now on mp3 because the cassettes are done) ... and the quality is bad (off Australia and other places), and trying to find a clean version has been an issue ... and the early stuff is even worse ... there are shows from 1954, their first full season, and yet, some of those are not available, although some of the shows were redone later. Also, the Michael Bentine stuff is not available for some reason, which is strange ... I'm sure that the BBC has the master tapes of it, and not releasing it is sad, and unfair to the family!

Oh wow you must be a Goon expert. Maybe you should let the guy that did the uploads know you have some extras that could be added.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2019 at 07:03

Oh wow you must be a Goon expert. Maybe you should let the guy that did the uploads know you have some extras that could be added.

Thx. I have the 31 CD's ... so that is 124 shows that they can upload ... however, it might be easy to tell that they merely copied the CD's ... when they would be "safer" to clean up and upload a different copy. For example, the original LP's of the shows did not have the musical breaks, because it made the shows over 25 minutes and at the time the LP limit was around 20/21 minutes.

My concern is that there are 6 shows on the Compendium series, that I can not get, and they are not on the regular series, thus I have to look for them differently, or hope the BBC stops being a jerk. My guess is that they are making sure that all 3 folks do not get any moneys from the residuals, to the family ... at all, and this has been a part of the BBC ownership thing ... they still have not released the "Beatles Christmas Shows", of which there were 7 of them, and they were funny, but one could say there were bits and pieces of this and that they would have to pay out on to prevent copyright issues ... like Paul singing "Besame Mucho" and crap like that ... which is satirical and it should not have any rights issues.

All in all, I seriously believe that the problem is the BBC, and the eventual BREXIT crap, so they do not share a single cent of the moneys with anyone else ... but then, obviously they could improve their economy by a small percent by making stuff available to the rest of the world, and THEY ARE NOT DOING SO ... which suggests an ulterior motive. 

Of course, the artist is the one that suffers here ... so my only hope is that the BBC control dies off and that the families take control of the material, but the BBC is NEVER EVER FOREVER going to tell us what else is in the vaults that could be released ... and most of us will die before it all gets "found" in 300 years!

Edited by moshkito - May 06 2019 at 07:05
www.pedrosena.com
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2019 at 23:00
^ The BBC is supposed to sell whatever they can so may have been refused permission by someone involved. Searching “Goon Show Compendium” on abebooks.com shows a lot for sale. I’ve used the UK site a lot in the past when collecting old Moon books.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2019 at 06:15

Hi,

How brexit is that, hey?
If it's been going on for 10 years, then it's obviously nothing to do with Brexit.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2019 at 10:56

The Goon Show

One can get plenty of BBC radio content from the BBC Sounds website https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds and from the "BBC iPlayer Radio" app (I find this indispensable) outside the UK. There are 4 Goon Show radio episodes still available on the app and website (they've been playing it for quite a well). I do miss being able to subscribe to the BBC iPlayer. I think my favourite of their audio comedies was the radio sitcom type "Old Harry's Game", and in drama, I have loved the Dangerous Visions series. Good reminder as I haven't been listening to it as regularly recently, and I see they have another episode of "I, Regress" with Matt Berry. Other BBC radio sketch comedy series comedies that I enjoyed very much include On the Town with the League of Gentlemen and That Mitchell and Webb Sound (also archived, methinks).
 Post Reply Post Reply