Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl Verdict

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vinyl Verdict
    Posted: May 12 2019 at 11:21
So, after almost 25 years I've finally got my turntable set up again and am starting to revisit my LP collection. But it brings a tear to my eye as I realize that I got rid of about 100 - 150 of them when I first started to buy CD's. Like many, I was wooed by the though of 'No Surface Noise' music. Well boy did I eventually learn my lesson. If I bought a CD that had the same packaging as the LP I tended to pull the LP out of the collection and eventually trade them into a shop for more CD's. I stopped this eventually, but not before ridding myself of some seriously good and mint condition vinyls. Of course I was replacing my most favourite music first which means I'm missing many of my most favourite LP's from my collection (now around 900 or so).

So my question is... what resources can anyone share for buying back mint or near mint vinyl either online or in the Toronto, Guelph, Kitchener (Ontario Canada) corridor.

Thankfully I still have many gems, but those few holes I created are now driving me nuts.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 12:08
I have not have need of them for a long, long time, but used to use Goldmine to locate rare records.  https://www.goldminemag.com/

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 13:51
Find local record stores, most of them have huge inventory of used records. You'll need to spend time flipping thru them and looking at the record surface before buying to hopefully find VG+ condition, I sometimes find mint condition records.
Also get familiar with Discogs website, there you will find every known version of what you are looking for, you will learn to identify which pressing is the best sounding and what not to buy.....There are tons of records out there from the "record clubs" of years past like Columbia House and RCA Club. In general I stay away unless it is dirt cheap like $2-3 or something that I don't care to own new reissue for $25.
Discogs also has a really great marketplace and the internal grading is very good an honest, you'll pay money for rare prog records, most of the highest priced records on Discogs are of the prog nature.
People also use ebay, but I don't.......90% of what I buy used is from my local record stores, I LOVE spending 2 hours flipping thru bins, plus you get to know the store owner and they will watch for good stuff if you tell them.
My main concern with used records is the condition, it's not worth it to me to possibly damage my stylus, my audio gear money is in my analog rig.
You'll then need to develop a good to process for cleaning the records you buy before playing, if you have 900 records now and will grow it, highly recommend that you get a record cleaning machine at minimum a SpinClean.

Have fun!
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 14:38
I lived in the Whitby area for 3 years and had a hard time finding a great place that was consistent with records near mint condition having been spoiled by some of the shops around the Denver/Fort Collins area where I lived before.  I seemed to have the best luck hitting the flea markets in the Whitby/Oshawa area, but I had a hard time finding one that was consistent, and ended up just hitting them all.  I now live near Chatham and the best thing I have found is trading/selling with other collectors in the area.  There is a good antique/flea market store on the east side of Stratford where I've been able to get some great stuff from time to time, like King Crimson, Zappa, Nirvana and some punk bands, but they can be pricey at times.  Anyway, if you find anything, let me know and I'll do the same, otherwise I hope you have better luck than I have.

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 14:59
Here in the states, in most metro areas, they have huge vinyl shows, also,  you may want to see if there is anything like that up your way.

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 16:31
try ricks recollections ,on lakeshore near port credit.lots of new and old vinyl.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 18:28
Though there are only a hadfull record stores, the ones that are still around have very good records, and sometimes you fine an occasional brand new one. I found "Voyage of the Acolyte" brand new and sealed, a true treasure.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 19:02
Search thru the Record Store Day Canada site for stores near you.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 23:11
JD, I was selling some of my prog that I had replaced CD on ebay under the moniker No matter, I have started listing on Discogs and if you email me directly we can bypass the middle man.  To that end I have spreadsheet of what I have to sell that I will send to anyone who PMs me with their address.  It has suggested prices and I can be paid by paypal.  I ship LPs loving enclosed in bubble wraps,I have saved from the many CDs and DVDs I have mail ordered over the year, with an outer shell of cardboard made from re-purposed liquor store boxes.  Media Mail shipping is currently $2.75 for a single LP Up or multiples to 16 oz. If you order more I will ship for whatever the weight dictates and of course any other shipping method is possible as long as you pay for it. Big smile 

I used to have much more I could be selling but they were ruined in a house flood in 2009.  I have a little over 70 that are in my keeper section that either have autographs or I haven't replaced them with a CD yet.

And dammit, I haven't had a functioning turntable for a while now but in what I consider the LP age I used have a really nice Dual with a wood frame that I got used.  I'd always play my new acquisitions once or twice before making a cassette copy of them using dbx noise reduction which would make a copy that sounded as good as the original provided you played it back on a dbx deck.  Alas I haven't had a functional dbx deck for many many years now and anyway all of my cassettes were in a box on the floor during the 31" house flood of 2009. 
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2019 at 03:00
Records On Wheels in Dundas, Ontario... the dude is a total proghead as well.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2019 at 14:39
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I'm putting this one on my list of places to check out.   Thanks Sean.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 12:49
I have found some of my best bargains from antique shops/malls in my area.....they are usually cheaper than an actual record store.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 16:28
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

I lived in the Whitby area for 3 years and had a hard time finding a great place that was consistent with records near mint condition having been spoiled by some of the shops around the Denver/Fort Collins area where I lived before.  I seemed to have the best luck hitting the flea markets in the Whitby/Oshawa area, but I had a hard time finding one that was consistent, and ended up just hitting them all.  I now live near Chatham and the best thing I have found is trading/selling with other collectors in the area.  There is a good antique/flea market store on the east side of Stratford where I've been able to get some great stuff from time to time, like King Crimson, Zappa, Nirvana and some punk bands, but they can be pricey at times.  Anyway, if you find anything, let me know and I'll do the same, otherwise I hope you have better luck than I have.

Oh, oh...tell me more! Stratford? I just started a managemant job at a plant in Palmerston that has a second plant in Stratford. I oversee groups at both facilities so I dither back and forth. I was there today and visited a place called 'Sound Fixation'. I found a UK pressing of ELP's debut on the Cotillion label. The cover was heavily damaged and the LP was pretty popply (is that even a word?) The guy wanted $16. I passed.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 16:29
Originally posted by grantman grantman wrote:

try ricks recollections ,on lakeshore near port credit.lots of new and old vinyl.
I'll definitely look that one up, thanks.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 16:30
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Though there are only a hadfull record stores, the ones that are still around have very good records, and sometimes you fine an occasional brand new one. I found "Voyage of the Acolyte" brand new and sealed, a true treasure.
Damn !! That was one that I had let go.Cry
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 16:31
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Search thru the Record Store Day Canada site for stores near you.

Bookmarked, thanks
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 16:36

I don't get that way as often but I'll keep it in mind. There must be other Records on Wheels around. I remember there was one in Masonville Mall in London. There's a Sunrise Records at Stone Road Mall in Guelph, but aren't these chains mostly 'current' pressings usually 180g stuff that's been remastered or remixed?
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 17:25
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Oh, oh...tell me more! Stratford? I just started a managemant job at a plant in Palmerston that has a second plant in Stratford. I oversee groups at both facilities so I dither back and forth. I was there today and visited a place called

Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 19:12
Another great record store that may be closer to you if you are coming from London or Guelph is Encore Records in Kitchener. The owner is also a huge fan of prog (he even brought the Acoustic Strawbs to Kitchener way back - resulting in the Full Bloom live recording). I only get there roughly once/year, but it seems a number of prog fans get together there on many Saturday afternoons to chat. 

Looney Tunes record store in Burlington is also good - last time I was in (in a different location) the place was a bit of a mess but the owner is really knowledgeable and a prog fan, and the store has lots of great rare music.

And of course there are tons of vinyl places in Toronto now too
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2019 at 23:47
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I don't get that way as often but I'll keep it in mind. There must be other Records on Wheels around. I remember there was one in Masonville Mall in London. There's a Sunrise Records at Stone Road Mall in Guelph, but aren't these chains mostly 'current' pressings usually 180g stuff that's been remastered or remixed?
Some records badly needed a remix, think original Genesis pressings of SEBTP. There are versions, depending who mastered it, that are muddy sounding. My original press is that way, the 2008 Nick Davis remix versions are brilliant, plus he did them as 1/2 speed mastered......Again, check them on Discogs and also Steve Hoffman Forums, those guys there REALLY know their vinyl and which issues sound best, regardless if new/reissue or original version.
I am one that is fine with new issues, especially when a VG+ version of an original is difficult to find or is priced super high.......Try finding a VG+ version of LZ I/II/III/IV and not pay less than $30, new is about the same. Rush Moving Pictures mastered by Bob Ludwig (RL in the deadwax) is also pricey, AC/DC BIB is the same, RL stamped is tough to find at a reasonable price.

This is why I love digging thru bins.........I found CAN~Soundtracks mint condition, original press UA label with the film strip cover version, paid $18.......you can see here what it's Discogs value is. I nabbed it and quickly ran to the counter and paid for it, then ran home!! I have seen it for $130 online...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>