Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why David Jackson can hardly be heard on "Vital"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why David Jackson can hardly be heard on "Vital"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why David Jackson can hardly be heard on "Vital"
    Posted: May 14 2019 at 06:22
David Jackson can hardly be heard on Van der Graaf's live album "Vital" and does not appear at all on side one of the original vinyl double album. I have read some speculation by members of this site that this is due to some internal fight within the band and somehow related to why he was kicked out of the band after the 2005 reunion tour. this is, however, most definitely not true. here is what David Jackson himself said about that matter:

"I was working as a driver when I got a call from them to guest at two Marquee gigs to be recorded as a live album, by this time they had brought in Charles Dickie on cello. The finished album, Vital, is a personal disaster for me, I can't bear to hear it. Usually I would have wanted 4 tracks of the 24 track mobile they set up, 2 because of the stereo nature of my saxophone set-up and two for the effects pedal etc. on each channel.
What I got was one track - worse still, when Guy Evans came to mix the tapes he found that the mobile had been faulty and there was just total silence on my track. What he had to do was go through the other tracks looking for where my sax would have bled onto a track, like the vocal track, and then take out my sax and boost it up and clean it - and that's what you hear on the record."

Edited by BaldJean - May 15 2019 at 03:56

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 22:32
That’s interesting thank you. It shows how quickly all those tracks get used up and the difficulties of live recording.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 23:47
A friend lent me this album a few months ago (reminds me I should return it) . I am most impressed by the bass on this for some reason. I'll try and give it a listen again in the next few days.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2019 at 03:24
Nic is a monster on the bass - almost Zeuhl-like. I was familiar with the mixing issues on Jaxon’s Saxes. It’s there, it never really irked me coz it’s such a storming album anyway. Love cranking this one up.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2019 at 03:58
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Nic is a monster on the bass - almost Zeuhl-like. I was familiar with the mixing issues on Jaxon’s Saxes. It’s there, it never really irked me coz it’s such a storming album anyway. Love cranking this one up.

comparisons to the bass of Magma come to my mind too when hearing Nic Potter's monster bass

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2019 at 10:36
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

comparisons to the bass of Magma come to my mind too when hearing Nic Potter's monster bass
His sound was massive - it’s fuzzy, distorted and dirty. Quite unlike the mild-mannered Englishman he was. I miss him on this planet.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2019 at 20:55
Nic should have remained with the band, at least for the rest of their classic albums. It might seem there's no need for a bass player within the band, given how great the songs sound anyway... but then I put "Darkness", and I do wish there was more bass like that on the other albums.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2019 at 21:36
Cool. I just listened to Disc One of Vital today. Great timing! 

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2019 at 05:43
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Nic should have remained with the band, at least for the rest of their classic albums. It might seem there's no need for a bass player within the band, given how great the songs sound anyway... but then I put "Darkness", and I do wish there was more bass like that on the other albums.
Agree - Nic was a gem with the band. Great bassist. His solo albums are very good too, esp. Mountain Music.
 Post Reply Post Reply