Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Death Hawks - What do you think?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Death Hawks - What do you think?
    Posted: December 22 2020 at 08:28
I once suggested Meat Loaf, too  LOL
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 01:53
Hey I think we all have several bands we feel deserve to be on PA yet somehow keep getting rejected for inclusion. Trust me, even collaborators and reviewers on here stumble over the odd rejection whenever suggesting X of their favourite artists. Hell there are folks here who’ve suggested Toto/The Tubes/Velvet Underground/Tame Impala/Stereolab a number of times to no avail.
Also goes the other way. I personally don’t feel a band like King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard fits in on PA...but they’re featured here because it never was my decision
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 13:29
Thanks for your input and gracious explanation. I guess my interpretation of prog is much wider than excepted here or at least the guidelines permit. I may be embracing styles of music that may be on the very outermost fringe of being prog and yet is not prog enough to attain a category here at progarchives. The rules to me can be blurry and prog doesn't always have to be set in stone as to the exact definition. 
I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. Robin Williams.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 04:03
I like this band..and forgot to post the last time I listened to the tracks posted in this thread...which to be fair is a good while ago.
I agree with both Greg (Logan) and Uwe (Rivertree) though. As much as I dig the style I still mostly hear something a la The Flaming Lips. Something like a meeting between art pop and art rock with a lot delicious psych elements.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2020 at 18:58
A lastly this little number:

tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2020 at 18:09
I still cant believe no one will re-consider this fine band FOR THE ARCHIVES. 

Surely there is one sane person in charge who hears what i hear.

Even their latest album is totally amaze-balls and actually very powerful in its own way. 

Here is a live performance of an amazing song. Try not to even watch it just listen to the sounds. 

Oh, and bonus points to anyone who can tell me what guitar hes using. 

tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 21:04
Death Hawks must be reconsidered to be on these archives. 

Real artists, real music, proggy, prog related, physc, kraut, and more.

Their last album was way ahead of anything most prog related bands are putting out there. 

I know what prog is and these guys deserve to be here. 

Here is a 360VR from a recent live performance of a song from their recent album.

Delicate, sensitive and deep poetry

tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 20:53
Rivertree, I loved that you replied and appreciate the time all your guys spend on here, but I may not have picked out the best examples of prog related tracks from their history, perhaps. 

How about some of these examples of prog related, psych space prog rock which may whet your appetite

First Album - Death & Decay

Track - Shinning 

Hawkwind did similar stuff 

Second Album - Death Hawks

Track - Night Children

Pretty Prog Space Rock 

Third Album - Sun Future Moon

Track - Seaweed

Prog

Last but not least, if if this is not Psych/Space Rock 

Their new upcoming Album - Psychic Harmony is due for release and they appear to have gone more progressive pop orientated i agree. 

Tim Buckley released Greetings From LA which was basically funk disco pop, ELO produced similar fare for many years, many popular bands here including dear Floyd tried their hand at pop to some degree. Roger Waters umm did pop, alternative, opera, as well as all kinds of other genres. Hawkwind released Hurry on Sundown and Silvermachine - quite poppy for the day. Even Yes had a few oddities which strayed far from being purely prog as well as Owner of a Lonely Heart Wink 

Track - Whisper

This albums going to be very interesting, based on what i just wrote above about doing something a little out of the norm for a prog band to do. 

To me they are somewhere in Progressive Related, Crossover, or Psych and deserve to have a presence, EVEN if a few tracks on an album being creatively progressive pop.

I feel the world is a better place for their music and perhaps a team here would take them on and enroll them into the archives. 

Edited by tigerfeet - December 17 2020 at 18:14
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 05:08
cheers, I'm with Logan in general

certainly a good alternative band, they are crossing diverse genres, as there are blues, psych, pop, jazz.
But overall, what I could hear so far, the prog substance is minimal, not a promising candidate for the PSIKE team at least

tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 21:14
One more video - live last week. 
Gets real good at around 1 min.  Instrumental from the album i assume

Edited by tigerfeet - May 22 2019 at 21:17
tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 20:27
I tend to agree with you Logan. It is hard for a band to be classified into a category when there are so many variants through their first few albums and no set or clear cut association with a category in progarchives.

However, they certainly have a knack for creating simple and effective licks and the sound overall is pleasing and creative.

Also, a great point though you made, if unintentionally, sometimes a video can change perspective upon a song which would sound or play perhaps very differently when using the sense of hearing alone, without using the visual sense, which may interfere with the essence of the track.

I also did not like Re-Run the first time I listened to it, but have come to the conclusion that it is a beautiful track nevertheless, and actually quite emotional in its form.

When listening to bands I find on progarchives or elsewhere, I am always looking for that band that may take me on a journey for a little while and thus my current interest with this band. I like to revisit that feeling I had, long ago, when I first discovered Floyd or King Crimson, for example, where I immersed myself into that band and listened to everything they had or were to accomplish.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 12:14
In terms of being most applicable to our categories, it's Psych with Crossover (pop) elements. Listening to the album Sun Future Moon, one can hear some Krautrock influence in there. https://deathhawks.bandcamp.com/album/sun-future-moon

I like that "The Peace Maker" track you posted a lot. Overall from these samples it doesn't strike me as right for Prog Archives. Maybe Prog Related in a way, but that category is very difficult to get into and this would lack the historical significance and I don't know if any of the band members have been in bands classified as prog at this site.

Psych or bust, I would say, and from my listening so far, I would posit that this would not be included in PA despite having a relation to various music in PA. Good band, anyway. I also enjoyed A Room With a View, but I really did not like the pop song Re-Run (the video put me off a little more).

I would say no to PA at this time from what I have heard so far. I doubt this would be included in Psych or Crossover, and I wouldn't see it in Prog Related.
tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2019 at 21:08
An additional track from the new upcoming album

Anyone dare to comment on this band or have anything to talk about in regard to a newer band apart from Jetho Tull, ELP, Peter Hammill  or King Crimson? 

Anyone think there is a place for progressive pop songs?  Or songs with delicate lyrics? 

This new special track is also from their new upcoming album release. 

Edited by tigerfeet - May 23 2019 at 21:06
tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 20:15
I recently got into a band from Finland called Death Hawks. 

What I would like to ask all you progressive experts out there is, where do these guys fit?  Do they fit in with prog archives? What did you think of their new songs such as scent of life? Are they going in the right direction? 

They have 3 studio albums and a fourth to be released this June. 

Their first album ‘Death & Decay’ was released 2012 and this early incarnation pretty much kept to a bluesy psychedelic rocky edge with hints of influences from T-Rex, Iron Butterfly and Uriah Heep, but also a slight hint of what direction they were to develop musically in the coming years. Proggers may like ‘Blue Void’ and ‘Priest’s March’ and perhaps ‘The Peace Maker’.  

Their 2013 second self titled album ‘Death Hawks’ was similar but a much more interesting development. Some great progesque track picks here such as ‘Blind Daughter of Death’ and the amazing ‘Black Acid’. There were now more parts to the story but still hard to put a finger on where in progressive rock these guys fit. There was certainly Crossover Prog here at times and even some electronic and psychedelic/space rock.

Still the band seemed to need to develop and so they did.

Their 2015 third album release ‘Sun Future Moon’ was a much more rounded and better produced album overall. More influences came into play such as floyd and some trance and electronic influences and more space rock. Some interesting tracks here such as ‘Dream Machine’ and the brilliant ‘Behind Thyme’

What is beautiful about the Death Hawks is that they probably do want to fit into a category but don’t quite fit into any, well not for long anyway. They certainly have crossed over a couple of music genres and possibly to the chagrin of many progressive rock stalwarts, have brought glam, pop and techno into the prog world.

Their newest album Psychic Harmony, due to be released June 7, promises to increase that very influence and do just that. It appears they really are focusing on glam and pop with a progressive edge. They have released a few tracks as teasers so far and all are actually quite good. I especially liked ‘Scent of Life’ which gave me goosebumps.

What I really like about this band is that they are pushing buttons and making music exciting and indulgent again. I think it is really great to blur the lines and to make someone listen to music they perhaps would never have dreamed they would be listening to.

What do you think of this band?  

Post Reply Post Reply