Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

eloy (dawn)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: eloy (dawn)
    Posted: May 15 2019 at 17:37
After a number of listenings ,dawn the album by german band Eloy ,is definitely one for the books.I would highly recommend to that fans of genesis,pink floyd and nektar this band sounds and plays similar to their styles. The story ,i believe is about a man or boy, who dies then goes on a journey and meets different spirits, that,s all ,i can understand the gist of it.The best tracks i find are BETWEEN THE TIMES .THE MIDNIGHT FIGHT also LE REVIEL DU SOLEIL/THE DAWN which has a great bass line ,which upon repeated playing ,sounds like the intro Jeremy* by pearl jam,the other songs ,i believe i heard last child *aerosmith and bittersweet symphony *the verve .Overall one the best records of progressive rock, that i dont think ever that i have ever listened to,thanks for taking the time to read. grant   

Edited by grantman - May 15 2019 at 17:37
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2019 at 23:16
I have to admit that my favourite album by them is Time To Turn which came about 5 years later. Dawn has never really stood out for me although Eloy's output until about 1984 was incredibly solid and it's hard to find anything that I wouldn't give a listen to.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2019 at 05:47
Very enjoyable album - Jurgen Rosenthal’s debut after he left Scorpions. His tasty drumming / percussive work is outstanding. It all started on this fab album. More folks should get to know this release.

Edited by Tom Ozric - May 16 2019 at 07:07
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2019 at 06:14
Yep, good album. Floating is one of my favourite Eloy albums, mainly for "Castle in the Air", which I was thinking of doing a version of. I still have a soft spot for Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes, which I bought in 1979-ish. 

The only thing which stop me liking Eloy more are the frankly silly lyrics. ;-)

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2019 at 07:45
my two favourites are Dawn and Time to Turn.  But Inside, Ocean, Colours and Planets are up there too.  Ocean 2 was also very good
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2019 at 08:37
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

my two favourites are Dawn and Time to Turn.  But Inside, Ocean, Colours and Planets are up there too.  Ocean 2 was also very good

Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes was great, too. Big smile
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2019 at 10:01
They had a pretty good solid run from Inside up to Time to Turn (even Performance has its moments). I think their post-Destination period from The Tides Return Forever onward has been mostly solid too, though more "neo-proggish."
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2019 at 12:30
IMO, Eloy doesn't have a bad album.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2019 at 12:39
I haven't listened to Dawn in many years. My favourite Eloy album was Inside, followed by Floating.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2019 at 15:17
I have 6 of their albums up to Planets...but not Dawn or Power....I have been meaning to get that one for years now....thanks for reminding me.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2019 at 23:00
I like the strings on Dawn, the flow of all the sections to form a consistent piece, and the bizarre lyrics which stop it becoming too serious .
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2019 at 19:12
I agree the lyrics at times are kinda vague, but should be given a pass, the same with most German bands ,but their heartfelt songs, as far as i am concerned ,hold a place in my heart.I think that would also apply ,if English bands, translated English to German, lyrics ,not trying to be p.c .but fair to everyone involved .
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2019 at 19:47
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I have 6 of their albums up to Planets...but not Dawn or Power....I have been meaning to get that one for years now....thanks for reminding me.

IMO Time to Turn, the one after Planets, is a must.

They were originally supposed to be released as a double album as they tell one story, but the record company made them release them a year apart.  Very ironic given that this would have been one of the few double albums of original material with virtually no filler.

Edited by kenethlevine - May 18 2019 at 19:47
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2019 at 19:49
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes was great, too. Big smile

I like it well enough but don't think it's quite as good as the others from the 1976-1982 period
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 10:33

They were originally supposed to be released as a double album as they tell one story, but the record company made them release them a year apart.  Very ironic given that this would have been one of the few double albums of original material with virtually no filler.

Not to mention the dual keyboardists format (Hannes Folberth & Hannes Arkona). Clap
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 13:14
I think that Dawn is quite a bit more interesting than their supposed masterpiece Ocean. Actually I have played these to death in my teenage years when I was a big Eloy fan, so now I play their 70s works rarely, and as a German who has lived in the UK for a long time I get annoyed by Frank's accent a lot, which hadn't bothered me when I was much younger and had less of a clue about the English language. I can still appreciate the marvellous rhythm section though. 
I agree with many that Colours to Time to Turn was probably their best run; when I listen to Eloy these days then probably to one of those.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 10:06
Great band. I've enjoyed every album to some degree...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 00:38

agreed on the quality although I don't think they were recorded at the same time?

BTW these 2 albums brought the band a lot of attention in the UK mainly thanks to the BBC taking an interest. The Friday Rock Show (hosted by Tommy Vance at the time) played these albums a lot and that's where I first heard them. Apparently the band considered it to be the pinnacle of their career when the BBC invited them over to play at the legendary Marquee club in the mid eighties. Presumably their must be a decent recording of this somewhere in the BBC archives??!

Edited by richardh - May 21 2019 at 00:39
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 07:32
^that would be great to see.  Yes you are probably right they were recorded at different times...I gues sthe band initially wanted them to be together.  But they have significant differences which would indicate they were not recorded together.  The main one is that Planets is much more keyboard oriented, with few places where  lead guitar appears.  So yes, if they had been recorded together there might have been more uniformity which is the bane of many a double album
 Post Reply Post Reply