Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite bands that made a comeback?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite bands that made a comeback?
    Posted: May 17 2019 at 04:46
Many times, we encounter a very nice band that issues an outstanding debut recording or tour, only to disappear.  Sometimes, these bands some back years or even decades later with impressive material.  

I can think of several prog bands who have done this - "Flash" under former bassist Ray Bennett, Brand X's recent return, King Crimson (several times in fact), etc.  

When I lived in the UK, I saw a nice Scottish band, "Bis," from Glascow....they are not prog, but more in the Indie-power pop vein.  I saw them in 1994, and they dissolved.  However, they recently came back with a new album!! 

This single is so strong that I wanted to share it with Prog Archives.  It isn't exactly prog, but it is good.  I enjoy the composition, strong rhythms etc.  Reminds me a bit of progressive punk by Fripp et. al., I could easily hear one of his solos over this material. 

Edited by cstack3 - May 17 2019 at 05:17
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 08:52
BANCO DEL MUTUO SOCCORSO
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 09:01
Van der Graaf Generator, Gong and Amon Düül 2 all came back several times.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 09:02
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I'm in love with the new Gong LP.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 12:32
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Thanks!  I'm specifically thinking of a band that completely disappeared off the face of the earth for a long period of time, Gong and AD2 seemed to always be kicking around in the background (at least as long as Daevid Allen was around for Gong!). 

Brand X is having an especially energetic second coming, I highly recommend them.  Goodsall on guitar and Percy Jones on bass make this a strong comeback for sure.  

Other prog bands that have attempted to come back include Starcastle (meh, they never really got their mojo back), Dixie Dregs (I saw them in concert in the 1990s, they were excellent with ex-Mahavishnu violinist Jerry Goodman in the band), and the Strawbs (who have done concerts as acoustic and electric versions).  

Uriah Heep has come back with a surprisingly strong sound!  I passed on a chance to see them at a local bar & after seeing some video, regret not having went to see them.  Andy Powell's version of Wishbone Ash is also convincingly strong. 
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 12:45
Kaipa/Kaipa Da Capo is my fave "comeback" band atm.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 16:13
Magma. And stronger than ever, too.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 20:17
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Kaipa/Kaipa Da Capo is my fave "comeback" band atm.

I might actually like Kaipa Da Capo better than their original albums with Stolt.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 20:58
Yeah, Magma is the most authentic comeback. The new Banco is really good. The last Comus album was decent as well. Gong is hit and miss but def good quality prog. VDGG's latest aren't quite as good as the classics but still very good albums. I wish bands like Yes, Pink Floyd and PFM would just give it up already.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2019 at 08:11
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I wish bands like Yes, Pink Floyd and PFM would just give it up already.

I'll never get this opinion. If you don't like what they're doing now, don't listen to it. Not that I'd love what these bands have done recently (The Endless River is fine by me though, and then actually PF have given it up in the meantime), but as long as they and a handful of listeners have their fun, they should absolutely go on to do whatever they love doing.  
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2019 at 09:24
Bubblemath had a good debut in 2001 then nothing until '17 with the excellent Edit Peptide & great ProgDay performance.

Far Corner had two good albums in 2004 & 2007 then a long gap to the superb Risk in '18.

Comus had a superb debut in First Utterance in '71 then a not so special follow up in '74 then nothing until '12!! With a really quite good appropriately named Out Of The Coma.

Dirk Mont Campbell of Egg, Gilgamesh & National Health released his debut solo album in '96, the follow up wasn't until '09.

Anglagard released two great album in 92 & 94 then nothing until the great Viljans Oga in '12

Happy Family release two albums in '95 & '97 then the quite excellent return with Minimal Gods in '14 with a great RIO performance

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2019 at 11:44
After two decades of not recording as a full band (unless you count Tenebre, which features three principal members), Goblin reunited to record the soundtrack for Dario Argento's thriller Non Ho Sonno (2000). And it's awesome.

Of course, Claudio Simonetti left again, and the other four (Morante, Pignatelli, Guarini, Marangolo) have recorded a couple great albums as [Backtothe]Goblin (plus Goblin Rebirth with Pignatelli/Marangolo), while Claudio plays Goblin classics with his band Daemonia. Goblin (with Simonetti) did manage to perform a number of US dates, but Claudio left again, with Simonetti's role having been represented since on numerous live dates by Zombi's Steve Moore (one tour only) and then Goblin Rebirth's Aidan Zammit.

Last year, Claudio released a double live album, a performance of Goblin's classic soundtrack to Dawn of the Dead, under "Claudio Simonetti's Goblin." It was dedicated to George A. Romero.

The point is: It's a great time to be a Goblin fan!
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2019 at 12:59
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

BANCO DEL MUTUO SOCCORSO

That's it! I couldn't imagine Banco without great Francesco Di Giacomo, but 2019 album looks like their best studio work since "Canto di primavera" (1979).
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2019 at 21:05
OP here, thanks for the posts, great stuff!  Keep it up! 

Starcastle (whom I knew) came back briefly, check this nice little song out....a tribute to the late, great Gary Strater, one of the fine prog bassists!  The vocals sound just like Jon Anderson...!

Edited by cstack3 - May 18 2019 at 21:05
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2019 at 21:35
yes heaven and earth
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2019 at 22:22
Fuchsia is an obvious one.  One collectible LP in the early 1970s and then a comeback a few years ago.  In some ways I prefer the comeback album
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 02:52
Don't know why I needed to think about as Kayak are the screamingly obvious one. Must have been a gap of about 16 years between Merlin in 1983 and their comeback in the late 90's. Their first 4 albums are tremendous then they went a bit AORish for a while before the Merlin album. That seemed to re-establish them properly as a prog band before they just split up . I don't know the full story but after that Ton Scherpenzeel joined Camel for the Stationery Traveller album but he didn't stay very long. The drummer Pim Koopman actually penned several entries for the Eurovision Song Contest would you believe? (unless this is a joke on Wiki!) .He had a wonderful deep rich voice that was well used on the narration for the extended re-recorded version of Merlin ( re-named Merlin Bard of The Unseen). Sadly he died of a heart attack in 2009 (RIP). The band have continued and released the excellent 'Seventeen' only last year. They played there first ever gig in the UK this year but annoyingly I couldn't make it but hopefully I will get another opportunity in the future.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 03:00
Horslips...after 24 years apart....their 2004 comeback album Roll Back

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 16:39
OP here, thank you everyone, this is a great thread!!  Please keep 'em coming! 

Another one came to me = Captain Beyond.  After three very good LPs, they disappeared.  

CB did resurface in 2001 (I was helping the band in their comeback), but they couldn't find any traction for funding, and key members stayed away.  

CB is still trying, with founding drummer Bobby Caldwell holding down the fort.  I think he's having a tough ride with it, as the musicians are not nearly up to the quality of the founders, Rhino Reinhardt and Lee Dorman.  

RIP Rhino and Lee!

Edited by cstack3 - May 20 2019 at 23:03
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 07:41
Soundgarden, but then Cornell did not choose to live..
and Gåte, the Zombies also but they have a strange carear anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>