Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite bands that made a comeback?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 19:00
After a long hiatus, Kansas had an absolutely stellar comeback in 2000 with Somewhere to Elsewhere. That album rivals the best from their classic era. Sadly, as an album, it was a one off as while the band remained active thereafter, it was just as as touring band rehashing old setlists.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 23:39
^ yep that may be my favourite Kansas album.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 00:58
Gnidrolog also had a comback
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 17:24
hmmmm....did we all forget about Queen?  

They tried a re-boot with Paul Rodgers, and then again (recently) with Adam Lambert!  

Talk about a band that won't go away!  I was a huge fan of their first 3 LPs, and then, meh...
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 18:40
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Bubblemath had a good debut in 2001 then nothing until '17 with the excellent Edit Peptide & great ProgDay performance.

Far Corner had two good albums in 2004 & 2007 then a long gap to the superb Risk in '18.

Comus had a superb debut in First Utterance in '71 then a not so special follow up in '74 then nothing until '12!! With a really quite good appropriately named Out Of The Coma.

Dirk Mont Campbell of Egg, Gilgamesh & National Health released his debut solo album in '96, the follow up wasn't until '09.

Anglagard released two great album in 92 & 94 then nothing until the great Viljans Oga in '12

Happy Family release two albums in '95 & '97 then the quite excellent return with Minimal Gods in '14 with a great RIO performance

Regarding Comus, while I like Out of the Coma, I actually prefer To Keep From Crying (I seem to be a bit of an oddball for one who, at least mostly, really enjoys that album, especially when taken as part of the Song to Comus: The Complete Collection Compilation album).  Perhaps had I got that album not as part of the compilation, I might never have gown to enjoy it as much.

As for Out of the Coma: Had "The Malgaard Suite" been remade (and perhaps kept the original as a bonus track), I think it could have been a much better album.  I do like "The Return" considerably even though I would rather another woodwind to the sax.  I find the rest hokey and too over-the-top often, and the album rather too "Comus-by-numbers".  I feel like it's aimed too much at just pleasing/ paying lip service to the First Utterance fans rather than a really inspired, creative album that shows growth.   It rather comes across as a tribute act of itself to me. 

Sticking with folk, but an artist rather than a band, but I liked Vashti Bunyan's return with 2005's Lookaftering, which I find a very enjoyable album.  Her last album before that was 1970's "Just Another Diamond Day(so 35 years).  Lidna Perhacs, who released the one album, which I think excellent in 1970 as well, Parallelograms, had  a comeback in 2014 called The Soul of All Natural Things (44 years in between albums).  I haven't listened to all of that, but what I heard I didn't enjoy (it's not acid folk, but instead it's contemporary dream pop folk).  I guess I would have enjoyed it more had she catered to fans of her "Parallelograms" music.

EDIT: I may have missed it, but did no one mention BubuAnabelas was released in 1978, and Bubu only came back in 2018 with El Eco del Sol.

Edited by Logan - May 24 2019 at 19:05
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2019 at 01:27
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

hmmmm....did we all forget about Queen?  

They tried a re-boot with Paul Rodgers, and then again (recently) with Adam Lambert!  

Talk about a band that won't go away!  I was a huge fan of their first 3 LPs, and then, meh...

I'm not really sure either of those incarnations were taken too seriously. I mean Queen without Freddie just isn't. That's not too understate the talent of the other guys (and they are seriously talented) but I can't think of any other 'genuine band' where one member was so hugely important. BTW my favourite Queen album is probably Innuendo.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2019 at 06:11
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Comus had a superb debut in First Utterance in '71 then a not so special follow up in '74 then nothing until '12!! With a really quite good appropriately named Out Of The Coma.

Regarding Comus, while I like Out of the Coma, I actually prefer To Keep From Crying (I seem to be a bit of an oddball for one who, at least mostly, really enjoys that album, especially when taken as part of the Song to Comus: The Complete Collection Compilation album).  Perhaps had I got that album not as part of the compilation, I might never have gown to enjoy it as much.

As for Out of the Coma: Had "The Malgaard Suite" been remade (and perhaps kept the original as a bonus track), I think it could have been a much better album.  I do like "The Return" considerably even though I would rather another woodwind to the sax.  I find the rest hokey and too over-the-top often, and the album rather too "Comus-by-numbers".  I feel like it's aimed too much at just pleasing/ paying lip service to the First Utterance fans rather than a really inspired, creative album that shows growth.   It rather comes across as a tribute act of itself to me. 

All valid points on Out Of The Coma but I must admit being baffled by preferring To Keep From Crying over First Utterance, all credibility lost Wink

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - May 27 2019 at 06:12
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2019 at 09:38

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

All valid points on Out Of The Coma but I must admit being baffled by preferring To Keep From Crying over First Utterance, all credibility lost Wink

Darn, I just lost a long reply, so will pare this down as I'm off out shortly.

If I did indeed say or imply that, then I have at least lost all credibility as a somewhat coherent writer (that is if I had any before). I meant to write that I prefer To Keep From Crying to Out of the Coma, not that I prefer it to First Utterance. First Utterance has been, and remains to be, one of my very favourite albums. I consider FU to be a masterpiece.

That said, I truly love the songs "Children of the Universe" and "To Keep From Crying" off of the To Keep From Crying album, but I wouldn't put those songs over First Utterance music, nor would I put those over various "bonus" tracks on the compilation album I own (Song to Comus: The Complete Collection) which contains To Keep From Crying -- I'm thinking of "Winter is a Coloured Bird", "All the Colours of Darkness" and "In the Lost Queen's Eyes".
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2019 at 10:53
Probably just me misreading your post and jumping to an unbelievable conclusion for shock value, I apologize unreservedly.
Ian

King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2019 at 11:47
On another note, it's time for me to put on First Utterance! Embarrassed
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2019 at 12:11
^ It's a pagan-themed experience, which some find off putting. I mention because I have noted that you like Neal Morse, and I'm confident that Neal Morse would hate it. I don't know enough about you to know what you would think. Mikael Akerfeldt loves it.

^^ No worries, I could have spelled things out more clearly. I wrote a few posts that day that were rather more incomprehensible than usual (and that's saying something), but then having gone on a little trip, I lacked the chance to edit any trip-ups and better express my thoughts.

Anyway, while To Keep From Crying is not that special, I really do enjoy it a lot on its own merits, and would recommend it certain people who find First Utterance disturbing, appalling, and/or the product of a Beelzebubian bottom. I also like Magma's Merci more than most, although like with To Keep From Crying, it's two tracks in particular that elevate it for me. I do enjoy Out of the Coma, and think it could have been great, but that would have required a greater budget in making the album (I still think it's a good comeback and I am glad that they made it, and I came across as a little harsher than I intended towards it).

For another album not yet mentioned in this thread that I can see, which I find rather surprising, Gryphon's ReInvention is quite a fine album. Off topic, but one of my most anticipated never released albums: Henry Cow with The Simpsons' "Don't Have a Cow, Henry".
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2019 at 12:45
Transatlantic could be included here. Disbanded after Neal Morse left, they came back with the excellent Whirlwind  (followed by the slightly disappointing Kaleidoscope) several years later.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2019 at 13:09
Gryphons return is indeed quite good if a little too twee in places.
Ian

Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2019 at 13:50
Watchtower
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2019 at 14:57
I see no-one has mentioned RPI band Celeste's very recent comeback album? It's pretty good.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2019 at 15:27
Most Italian one shot bands from the seventies(or at least the most famous ones).
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2019 at 20:25
oh I found another one!  Canadian band FM put out some poor albums in the 1980s and pretty much disappeared as a recording band until the almost excellent "Transformation" a few years ago
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hieronymous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2019 at 23:04
For me, it's Magma, Soft Machine, Brand X, and the Dregs - not just that they got back together but that I (and many others) got to see them live. Magma and Soft Machine are bands that I totally obsessed over - I honestly didn't even dare dream that I would be able to see them perform in person (Gong is another one).

Actually, I did see an amazing one - Deep Purple in 1985 in Tokyo - Destiny Brought Them Together Again and I got to see and hear it!
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2019 at 03:43
Not prog but my most anticipated comeback album after 37 years in hibernation (obviously without the late, great Stuart Adamson) was from punk/post-punk band Skids with Burning Cities in 2018. I wasn't disappointed.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 08:23
It Bites: nothing from 1989 to 2008, and then the magnificent Tall ShipsCool

Shame they have now split up for good it seems....

Edited by essexboyinwales - May 30 2019 at 08:24
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>