Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite bands that made a comeback?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2019 at 01:07
Originally posted by hieronymous hieronymous wrote:

For me, it's Magma, Soft Machine, Brand X, and the Dregs - not just that they got back together but that I (and many others) got to see them live. Magma and Soft Machine are bands that I totally obsessed over - I honestly didn't even dare dream that I would be able to see them perform in person (Gong is another one).

Actually, I did see an amazing one - Deep Purple in 1985 in Tokyo - Destiny Brought Them Together Again and I got to see and hear it!

Thanks for the input!  I saw a pre-Brand X reunion in December 2001 with John Goodsall, Percy Jones, vibraphonist Marc Wagner and an excellent drummer at a very small venue in Chicago!  I kept in touch with Goods, and he went back & forth from failed projects (one of which might have included Patrick Moraz!), rotten country-rock cover bands in Minnesota, and finally the revamp of an amazing version of Brand X, true to its form!  

I also saw the rebirth of Dixie Dregs in Chicago....this band featured famed Mahavishnu Orchestra violinist Jerry Goodman, and they were remarkable!  I think it was about 1994 or so, and again, in Chicago. 

I saw Gong TWICE (two consecutive nights) at (eh) ANOTHER small venue in Chicago....being able to see the late Daevid Allen, Bloomdido & everyone was a dream come true!  Hearing material from "You" in the early 1990s was unreal!  

It is certainly worth keeping your eyes open for summer festivals, band websites and the like, to see who may be coming back.  The Arcada Theater outside of Chicago is famous for booking top-shelf prog acts, I see that Grumpy Old Rick Wakeman will be there in October 2019!   Cheers, everyone! Thumbs Up
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2019 at 01:08
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by hieronymous hieronymous wrote:

For me, it's Magma, Soft Machine, Brand X, and the Dregs - not just that they got back together but that I (and many others) got to see them live. Magma and Soft Machine are bands that I totally obsessed over - I honestly didn't even dare dream that I would be able to see them perform in person (Gong is another one).

Actually, I did see an amazing one - Deep Purple in 1985 in Tokyo - Destiny Brought Them Together Again and I got to see and hear it!

Thanks for the input!  I saw a pre-Brand X reunion in December 2001 with John Goodsall, Percy Jones, vibraphonist Marc Wagnon and an excellent drummer at a very small venue in Chicago!  I kept in touch with Goods, and he went back & forth from failed projects (one of which might have included Patrick Moraz!), rotten country-rock cover bands in Minnesota, and finally the revamp of an amazing version of Brand X, true to its form!  

I also saw the rebirth of Dixie Dregs in Chicago....this band featured famed Mahavishnu Orchestra violinist Jerry Goodman, and they were remarkable!  I think it was about 1994 or so, and again, in Chicago. 

I saw Gong TWICE (two consecutive nights) at (eh) ANOTHER small venue in Chicago....being able to see the late Daevid Allen, Bloomdido & everyone was a dream come true!  Hearing material from "You" in the early 1990s was unreal!  

It is certainly worth keeping your eyes open for summer festivals, band websites and the like, to see who may be coming back.  The Arcada Theater outside of Chicago is famous for booking top-shelf prog acts, I see that Grumpy Old Rick Wakeman will be there in October 2019!   Cheers, everyone! Thumbs Up
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2019 at 11:03
A newer version of Klaus Doldinger's Passport called Passport Classic had been touring in Germany in recent years, and included Doldinger of course, and Curt Cress and Wolfgang Schmidt from the classic lineup!

Colosseum is another favorite band,  reuniting in 1994 in the UK to acclaim and toured on and off since then in the UK and Europe, but was dealt a big blow with the death of drummer Jon Hiseman, more recently. Colosseum itself is no more, but there exists a tribute band with Clem Clempson and Mark Clarke at the helm currently.

With painful honesty, my other favorite bands will never make a comeback, I am pretty sure; Triumvirat, Giger Lenz Marron, Libra and Dzyan. In those cases, to make a long story short, it's not in the cards....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123